What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Thanks!

Good luck buying. Nothing better than getting your own place, no chance of being able to buy sooner and take advantage of the stamp duty holiday?

We are looking now and would love to buy around May, but not sure how easy that'll be with lockdown. We are in our rental until August unless we get out of the contract early, but imagine we will be here until the end of it.

As we are first time buyers the stamp duty exemption is up to 500k so fine for us.

Soldato
We are looking now and would love to buy around May, but not sure how easy that'll be with lockdown. We are in our rental until August unless we get out of the contract early, but imagine we will be here until the end of it.

As we are first time buyers the stamp duty exemption is up to 500k so fine for us.
Unless I'm mistaken, it's 5% on the balance from 300k to 500k! I'd love to buy too but doubt I'll get over 300k unless something serious changes at work.

Associate
Unless I'm mistaken, it's 5% on the balance from 300k to 500k! I'd love to buy too but doubt I'll get over 300k unless something serious changes at work.

Yea sorry, 300k to 500k is the current 'holiday', first time buyers spending under 300k (which we probably will be) pay none at all.

Soldato
Few bits today as the weather was so nice spent most the day in the garden

Already removed the posts and rest of the pergola last year but the rest of the deck was beyond any kind or cost effective repair and was quite a mess

IMG-20210228-125303.jpg

Took to dismantling it

IMG-20210228-133414.jpg

Screws galore !

IMG-20210228-142020.jpg

And all out!

IMG-20210228-143712.jpg

The concrete base (was from the previous owners oil storage tank before gas was installed to the property) is for another day

Then the Mrs was clearing the other end of the garden (clearing the compost bin you can just see and moving to beside the chicken coop) so a number of trips moving the compost she had dumped in the grass into the newly relocated compost bin.

IMG-20210228-144936.jpg

She had also been "pruning" the trees and asked me to take an almost dead tree out which was in the shade of the other two trees

Couldn't be bothered getting the chainsaw out so axed it down with my new hand axe

IMG-20210228-151205.jpg

Well impressed with it !

IMG-20210228-153753-Bokeh.jpg

Soon whipped the side branches off and will be cutting it down and sticking in the medium log store to season

IMG-20210228-154547.jpg

Soldato
Few bits today as the weather was so nice spent most the day in the garden

Already removed the posts and rest of the pergola last year but the rest of the deck was beyond any kind or cost effective repair and was quite a mess

IMG-20210228-125303.jpg

Took to dismantling it

IMG-20210228-133414.jpg

Screws galore !

IMG-20210228-142020.jpg

And all out!

IMG-20210228-143712.jpg

The concrete base (was from the previous owners oil storage tank before gas was installed to the property) is for another day

Then the Mrs was clearing the other end of the garden (clearing the compost bin you can just see and moving to beside the chicken coop) so a number of trips moving the compost she had dumped in the grass into the newly relocated compost bin.

IMG-20210228-144936.jpg

She had also been "pruning" the trees and asked me to take an almost dead tree out which was in the shade of the other two trees

Couldn't be bothered getting the chainsaw out so axed it down with my new hand axe

IMG-20210228-151205.jpg

Well impressed with it !

IMG-20210228-153753-Bokeh.jpg

Soon whipped the side branches off and will be cutting it down and sticking in the medium log store to season

IMG-20210228-154547.jpg
I hope you shouted timber when it fell as this is the man thread:D.

kai

kai

Soldato
Had a lot of help this week. 7 bags of self leveling compound to correct the floor in the extension from the cowboy builder we had last year doing our extension. Saturday, i spent getting the floor smack on.

3Qhj07v.png.jpg

Sunday, i called in reinforcements. Had my Dad' and his builder mate to help as i had 43 sqm to lay but also i run all the sky cables and HDMI cables under the floor as i had to cut a concrete channel as i am changing the layout of the room.

2FNuFFf.png.jpg

Sunday evening, getting back to some shape.

MaB4Kfg.png.jpg

This week; it will be new skirting, making good a doorway whereby i expanded the entrance of the room by removing the architrave and timber frame and again calling for help as i want a TV unit built on our new main wall.

I think this will be outside my skill set :(

TRnd95a.png.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Every picture? Are you sure?

Letting them out for an hour while we're in the garden especially when I'm breaking up the deck right next to their run is hardly unreasonable.

Unreasonable or just against the law .....

"are required by law to take a range of biosecurity precautions including from the 14 December 2020 keeping their birds indoors except in very specific circumstances."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu#latest-situation

Or you could just keep them in like everyone else is having too? Its really not hard!

Associate
As I'm about to move into my new home in the very near future, I find myself spending more and more time in this section of the forum. Mainly for hints, tips, advice, inspiration and just generally to participate with like-minded individuals.

Today, my new dining room furniture arrived. It's for the new place, but as there's been all sorts of pandemic-related delays of late, I decided to order early. As annoying as I find their adverts, we purchased from Oak Furniture Land. Not cheap, but I'm not entirely sure if this places me superior to the 'Live Love Laugh' above the corner sofa brigade or not??? ( know this isn't GD, but we can still say that, right?)

Anyhoo, my manly tasks today: 1 - attaching seat pads to dining room chairs and then repacking the chairs in the boxes they came in, 2 - planning other stuff to buy for the new place, and 3 - I ironed 4 sets of uniform for my run of shifts which start tomorrow :D

Associate
Sums the last year up really, half the population thinking rules don't apply to them. All fun and games until someone looses their livelihood because a bloke with 5 chickens thinks he knows better. Typifies the general publics attitude to agriculture in this country so doesn't surprise me. Walk where we want do what we want, ignore all the rules, who needs farms or farmers .....

Soldato
Had a lot of help this week. 7 bags of self leveling compound to correct the floor in the extension from the cowboy builder we had last year doing our extension. Saturday, i spent getting the floor smack

That floor and angling looks great!

Was the floor easy enough to fit? (is it click lock/engineered wood?)

Ive fit wood floor before but not at 45 degrees! Tempted to try it in my new place.

Back
Top Bottom