Garden Furniture - Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

kai

kai

Soldato
Does anyone have any websites or recommendations for garden furniture?

I am looking for something that lasts me more than one season. I purchased an Acacia wood (B&Q range) set last season around £400 and this year despite being under cover all winter looks terrible. It’s going need sanding; painting, Wood, is splitting etc just in general a lot of maintenance.

I have seen a lot of adverts on Facebook etc for warehouse type Rattan. However, I am not sure I fully trust the quality despite having lots of FB comment reviews.

I have found the following site: https://mazeliving.co.uk/ however, we are talking big bucks :o. I need a corner set & a dining set. Easily £2.5 - 3K :o surely, my new indoor leather sofa was less!!

Soldato
Type Ratan into HUKD. I think I got the Aldi one for about 200 quid - sofa, 2 seats and a coffee table. Only 2 years old now but still looks brand new.

Soldato

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Associate
This is lovely; i just cant justify 2.5K on a set :( as i need x2. Looks like i am going have to bite the bullet. Corner sets are circa 1-1.5k

Something to consider my set has a rising table. Would that work for you as a dining set too? Without bench it’s 2k get some more chairs.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
Something to consider my set has a rising table. Would that work for you as a dining set too? Without bench it’s 2k get some more chairs.

In theory this would work. However, i have two separate locations in the garden as both have sun different times of the day. I really do not fancy moving the furniture with the sun :) However, for £2.5K i might not have any choice :o

Just seems a LOT of money for outside furniture.

Associate
In theory this would work. However, i have two separate locations in the garden as both have sun different times of the day. I really do not fancy moving the furniture with the sun :) However, for £2.5K i might not have any choice :o

Oh I know. When my missus said she wants a new garden set I was thinking max 1k but I found most under 1k is tat especially this size. I’m slightly concerned about it getting pinched mind.

Associate
Just bought a set of these: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/sjaelland-series-40238/

Aluminium frame, so should last quite a few years. Table, 2 recliners, 1 bench with outdoor cushions and cover for slightly over £500. Picking them up today.

As some have said above, good furniture sets are expensive in the UK, simply because not a lot sell them. We contemplated going for rattan sets but those would be nearer the 1.5k mark.

Soldato
After spending £1500 on a table and chairs, I bought a lounge set from Out & Out for less than half that. It was a bit of a faff to assemble but the quality is decent enough, especially for the price. There are often discount codes around making it even cheaper. :) Delivery was slow but communication was good.

Soldato
Club Rattan. I have the Isobella corner sofa and it is extremely comfy and has put up with a year of Scottish weather but still looks good. Ignore the prices on the website as they generally sell stuff at half that price.

Caporegime
After spending £1500 on a table and chairs, I bought a lounge set from Out & Out for less than half that. It was a bit of a faff to assemble but the quality is decent enough, especially for the price. There are often discount codes around making it even cheaper. :) Delivery was slow but communication was good.

What did you actually go for our of interest?

Caporegime

I got pallets off gumtree for free.

I ended up getting loads more than what I needed as some will be dodgy and unusable.

I then spent a few hundred on Makita tools which will last me a lifetime and other projects.

Orbital sander. Circular saw. I went for corded as cheaper and more powerful than cordless plus I don't need to worry about batteries needing charged or replaced as I'll literally use the tools once every 2-3 years.

Few other bits and bobs like crowbars, etc. I already had a cheap semi decent drill / screwdriver.

Loads of wood screws and wood glue.

I then made 2 times 2 seater benches or 3 skinny People and a drinks table. It was pretty easy to make and I then sanded and painted it using cheapest largest shed paint out of B&M. I gave it 3 coats then left it a year and gave it another coat. I still have loads of paint left over. But I think it's at the stage where it will likely last forever and more coats aren't going to add much more in terms of protection.

That all went on the decking which already has a brick bench with wooden top. So enough seating for 6-10 people total and space for an additional 2 benches in future.

I also got some wrought iron table and 4 chairs off gumtree second hand for £40 and just got decent rustoleum paint and painted them to keep them protected. This went on the patio.

Total spend maybe £400 and I have tools that are worth majority of that budget which I can sell or keep on using in the future.

Paying for cheap crap like rattan Vs pallets which literally can hold hundreds of kg of weight no issues? No brainer to me. I can jump up and down on them.

I did buy large outdoor cushions to go on them from IKEA they were £20 or £40 each iirc. I store them in the garage when not in use. They are light and doesn't take much work to take them in and out when required. So the furniture is comfortable as the cushions are really thick.

Soldato
I got pallets off gumtree for free.

I ended up getting loads more than what I needed as some will be dodgy and unusable.

I then spent a few hundred on Makita tools which will last me a lifetime and other projects.

Orbital sander. Circular saw. I went for corded as cheaper and more powerful than cordless plus I don't need to worry about batteries needing charged or replaced as I'll literally use the tools once every 2-3 years.

Few other bits and bobs like crowbars, etc. I already had a cheap semi decent drill / screwdriver.

Loads of wood screws and wood glue.

I then made 2 times 2 seater benches or 3 skinny People and a drinks table. It was pretty easy to make and I then sanded and painted it using cheapest largest shed paint out of B&M. I gave it 3 coats then left it a year and gave it another coat. I still have loads of paint left over. But I think it's at the stage where it will likely last forever and more coats aren't going to add much more in terms of protection.

That all went on the decking which already has a brick bench with wooden top. So enough seating for 6-10 people total and space for an additional 2 benches in future.

I also got some wrought iron table and 4 chairs off gumtree second hand for £40 and just got decent rustoleum paint and painted them to keep them protected. This went on the patio.

Total spend maybe £400 and I have tools that are worth majority of that budget which I can sell or keep on using in the future.

Paying for cheap crap like rattan Vs pallets which literally can hold hundreds of kg of weight no issues? No brainer to me. I can jump up and down on them.

I did buy large outdoor cushions to go on them from IKEA they were £20 or £40 each iirc. I store them in the garage when not in use. They are light and doesn't take much work to take them in and out when required. So the furniture is comfortable as the cushions are really thick.

I think we’re going to need some pictures!

Caporegime
I think we’re going to need some pictures!

Not at home at the moment and won't be for some time (as in weeks or months).

I have just spent 20 minutes going through 3 years of pictures and there's none that have been archived to the cloud which show anything as a whole. I must have taken them using WhatsApp and subsequently changed phones several times.

I've got a picture of a beer I took on the table. But all it does is show you the top of the table as it's mainly the beer in focus.

I've got a picture I took inside the house and the table and one of the benches is in the far distance of the background.

Alternatively I do have access to my CCTV at home on my phone I could take a screenshot of them. This however won't be clear or zoomed in enough to show them in any great detail.

I do have 2 decent pics of the wrought iron table but that's because I'm taking picture of a home made pizza cooked in a wood burning pizza oven and it's in the background and another of brunch, those are decent pics of the metal table but sadly not the chairs.

Or would you rather in a few months I take proper clear close up pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom