BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I'm looking to purchase a AUC M240i in the next few weeks. Will also consider a M235i but there's not many in the AUC market.

Are there any essential options I should be looking out for? From some research so far the following would possibly appeal:

Pro nav - must have for the larger screen
Adaptive suspension - I've heard lots of people say this as a must have but frustratingly it seems to be one of the rarer options
HK speakers - mixed reviews on how much this is an improvement but I would like to have some decent sound
Cruise control - nice to have but I don't do many motorway miles so can live without
Park distance control - it's not a big car so this doesn't seem like a necessarity but certainly helpful for tight spaces
Heated seats - haven't owned a car with this before so I could live without, but would be nice to have

In terms of negotiating should I be aiming to get around 5% off asking? Is it easier to try and get an extended warranty / service pack thrown in rather than money off? This is my first BMW purchase

Man of Honour
I have never found Adaptive Suspension on any BMW to be of sufficient amazement to be a must have. People go on about it like its game changing but IMHO it is not.

However I would not purchase any BMW without cruise control, pro nav or PDC (Is this seriously not standard? It was standard on a 2001 318i!). I have the HK Audio and I really like it, too.

Man of Honour
However I would not purchase any BMW without cruise control, pro nav or PDC (Is this seriously not standard?
totally this...and would add heated seats and reverse camera into the mix too...lol

HK speakers - mixed reviews on how much this is an improvement but I would like to have some decent sound
had a 4 series with and a 4 series without HK audio...massive difference even at lower volumes, the clarity and soundstage is much better with the HK audio

Adaptive suspension - I've heard lots of people say this as a must have but frustratingly it seems to be one of the rarer options
both of mine had adaptive suspension so unfortunately i can't give an apples-to-apples comparison, but its a nice comfy ride in comfort mode, and pretty stiff in sport mode. the jury is out there whether it actually does any "variable" damping as there isn't any information on the adaptive dampers that i can find on the Fxx models.
i suspect it does, as i can occasionally hear the valve open when i go across a bump. i'm not sure if the F2x adaptive suspension is the el-cheapo version of their more expensive brethren or not

Soldato
I have never found Adaptive Suspension on any BMW to be of sufficient amazement to be a must have. People go on about it like its game changing but IMHO it is not.

That's weird, on my Z4 the difference in sport mode vs normal is night and day. I've not driven one without adaptive suspension thought to be fair, so don't know what I assume is the middle ground.

Man of Honour
I can't comment on the standard audio in an M140i/M240i as I have HK and I've not heard the standard system, however there is a vast difference between HK in my car compared to my old F10 530d as an example and I'm led to believe that it's noticeably better in the 3/4 series as well.

Man of Honour
That's weird, on my Z4 the difference in sport mode vs normal is night and day. I've not driven one without adaptive suspension thought to be fair, so don't know what I assume is the middle ground.

I have driven quite a few 5 and 6 Series with the complete range of suspension options and the only one that felt like it was well worth having was Adaptive Drive. If it's just the dampers then I'd prefer the standard M Sport setup all day long.

Worst setup is the standard SE suspension :D

Associate

Mine has the 'M sport Suspension'. I believe that's also the adaptive one, as the only M-sport suspension in the brochure from BMW is adaptive. I can tell a bit of a difference, but with RFTs it went between 'my back is broken' to 'my back is snapped'. With normal tyres there's more of a difference, but only noticeable on good roads.

Associate
Switched over from my crappy Accelera PHI that came with my 535D to Pilot Sport 4s this morning. Just doing general driving I can feel quite a difference, it feels more glued to the road. As they're fresh tyres I've not pushed them but looking forward to seeing what they're like in the wet. How many miles do they take to properly bed in? I've seen 500 miles quoted which will take me ages at the current rate :p

Soldato
Soldato
Switched over from my crappy Accelera PHI that came with my 535D to Pilot Sport 4s this morning. Just doing general driving I can feel quite a difference, it feels more glued to the road. As they're fresh tyres I've not pushed them but looking forward to seeing what they're like in the wet. How many miles do they take to properly bed in? I've seen 500 miles quoted which will take me ages at the current rate :p
Just use them as normal, they aren't slicks :p
Maybe a few hundred to get whatever protective coating off and that's it

Caporegime
I'm looking to purchase a AUC M240i in the next few weeks. Will also consider a M235i but there's not many in the AUC market.

Are there any essential options I should be looking out for? From some research so far the following would possibly appeal:

Pro nav - must have for the larger screen
Cruise control - nice to have but I don't do many motorway miles so can live without
Park distance control - it's not a big car so this doesn't seem like a necessarity but certainly helpful for tight spaces
Heated seats - haven't owned a car with this before so I could live without, but would be nice to have

In terms of negotiating should I be aiming to get around 5% off asking? Is it easier to try and get an extended warranty / service pack thrown in rather than money off? This is my first BMW purchase

The automatic gearbox?

Not to everybody’s taste but I’ve tried it a few times in my nephews M240i and it suits the car really well IMO.

I am now 50 so firmly headed for the pipe & slippers brigade but still think with automatics this good why on earth bother swapping cogs?

Soldato
The automatic gearbox?

Not to everybody’s taste but I’ve tried it a few times in my nephews M240i and it suits the car really well IMO.

I am now 50 so firmly headed for the pipe & slippers brigade but still think with automatics this good why on earth bother swapping cogs?
Yes, auto (which seems to be 95% of the M240is anyway). I can see the fun in having a manual gearbox but not if using every day like I will be.

Thanks everyone else for your help. I think I'll aim for all of the options I listed above except for adaptive suspension which I'll take if I happen to find a car with it also specced.

Caporegime
Ah the million dollar question. Performance Z and SRF might be ok as thruxton isn’t bad on brakes apparently.

But then why not get new disks and hoses. Then you start thinking a bbk isn’t much more. Then resale value it’s not actually a bad idea as Reyland do some decent AP kits

61k miles and still on original brakes I think ! I’ve had them fade a bit on the road so definately want to do something.

Soldato
Driving home last night and hit a deer, two of them just ran out from the woods at the side of the road and I hit one of them. Deffo an insurance job as the front left of the bumper including lights is pretty much gone, the bonnet also has a smallish dent in the very front right above the bumper.
My first real accident in 30+ years of driving.

Feeling pretty down today, I know my car doesn't get much love on here but I think it's great... I also feel really bad about the Deer.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Ah the million dollar question. Performance Z and SRF might be ok as thruxton isn’t bad on brakes apparently.

But then why not get new disks and hoses. Then you start thinking a bbk isn’t much more. Then resale value it’s not actually a bad idea as Reyland do some decent AP kits

61k miles and still on original brakes I think ! I’ve had them fade a bit on the road so definately want to do something.

Thruxton might not be bad on brakes but it is ridiculously hard on tyres, especially on the left. You will run out of (road) tyre long before you run out of brakes IME.

Back
Top Bottom