The µ43 thread - welcome to the really dark side

Soldato
So the G9 I got from Amazon appears to be a used or returned item as I couldn't register the camera with Panasonic as the serial number has already been registered.

Amazon customer service were atrocious in dealing with the issue, not even an apology but I was within my right to request a full refund, they are collecting it on Monday.

I am now in two minds as to whether to pick up another G9 or wait and see what M43 has to offer next. There have been unconfirmed reports of a stacked M43 sensor made by Sony. My only gripe with M43 is noise at high ISO and I am reluctant to go FF due to cost of lenses, size and weight. Plus having to invest in a completely new system.

Photography is not my bread and butter as a profession but I do like it as a hobby and do also produce videos on YouTube and the G9 was perfect with no crop 4K and a mic jack. I have other cameras but none with a mic input, I've been syncing audio manually in editing and though it is not a very time consuming task, I'd prefer not having to do this.

I'm contemplating holding off from a G9 for the next few months and checking if there are more leaks about this stacked sensor or new cameras on the horizon from Panasonic and Olympus.

Your thoughts and input would be appreciated.

Soldato
I've been syncing audio manually in editing and though it is not a very time consuming task, I'd prefer not having to do this.

A bit of a side note in some ways, but have you checked your editing software wont do this for you? Record with the (poor) sound and record sound from a decent mic and just get your software to sync them, then mute the poor sound?

Soldato
Sad news, and a huge loss to his close family and friends but also the wider camera community.

His videos are straightforward but unique, funny and intellectual. Glad I watched his videos over the years.

Caporegime
M43, It's ALIVE!

It's good to see Panasonic (GH5 MII & GH6) and OMD (aka old Olympus) still churning out M43 bodies and lenses.

Those that have a Panasonic GH5s, G9 or G100 also had new firmware released by Panasonic yesterday.

https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

Reminded me I need to update my G9 tonight. Nice to see some decent support from Panasonic, in the GX8 era they were pretty lacklustre with firmware updates.

Soldato
Olympus has churned out some interesting lenses recently. Wonder if it's a last gasp?

Don't think so as they've got a bunch more on the roadmap like the Pro Macro lens which should be great

In between now and the GH6 Panny are also releasing a version 2 GH5, although it seems kind of pointless if G6 is coming an odd decision from them

I'm interested to see how the new lenses are optically, 10mm-25mm could be fun to have

Caporegime
Don't think so as they've got a bunch more on the roadmap like the Pro Macro lens which should be great

In between now and the GH6 Panny are also releasing a version 2 GH5, although it seems kind of pointless if G6 is coming an odd decision from them

I'm interested to see how the new lenses are optically, 10mm-25mm could be fun to have

$800 difference, the GH6 is almost 50% more expensive. The GH5 v2 is the "budget" choice

Soldato
I was baffled as to why they bothered with the mk2. Doesn't make a great deal of sense.

The GH6 is going to cost a fair bit more than the GH5 MII and the current GH5 cannot have further enhancements via firmware due to hardware limitations.

The GH5 MII allows Panasonic to use a lot of existing hardware and provide users with an updated features at a lower cost than then when the original GH5 was launched, I agree it should have been released about 6-12 months earlier than it did.

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom