• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 SERIES STOCK SITUATION - NO COMPETITOR DISCUSSION ***

Associate
This is really s****y!!! You would have thought at least some would be incoming especially with the planned fork in Ethereum!! I've just tweeted to Asus but have yet to hear anything back lol I wonder if I ever will :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I suggest to read on Eth website what is actually being planned to happen this year. A hint - nothing that affects mining or any normal person. Mining affecting changes in Eth protocol (phase 2+) will come in about 2+ years.

Associate
...for the customer, you mean. The retail stores are still making money.

Well both really. Retail stock supplies have to improve before anything improves for us. I feel for the staff who are likely getting a lot of flack from frustrated customers.

Mining is the biggest reason and not your small scale guy with a few GPUs but large scale companies that hoover up thousands.

Yeah, mining and scalpers. Plus slowed production and shortage of components, and demand is probably higher too because people are at home. The thought of waiting another year makes me sad and angry :eek::(:mad:

Associate
The GPU shortage is worldwide, Brexit is not the reason why GPUs are so short in the U.K. because GPUs are a rare commodity on a global scale presently and that won’t improve until 2022 onwards.

That might be accurate for retailers but then since Jan 1 there's been 0 stock on UK part of AMD website (direct sale), whereas EU part of it has drops now and then, delivered from Ireland. Hence, my 2 EU buddies got 6900xt MBA cards for MSRP directly from AMD whereas I couldn't (out of stock). Same with older models of CPU etc.

Associate
If you don't need the cash in your pocket then there is no harm waiting it out since cancelling still doesn't mean you'll be able to get a card.

Or you could invest that money instead of having it be stuck for a year with 0 interest and no certainty you will actually get anything in the end. As manufacturers can decided to discontinue the product before you get it when super versions will replace it by then. I'm sure the shop will not fork out the difference in price, so such person will just get a refund. But whatever people prefer, I reckon.

Associate
Or you could invest that money instead of having it be stuck for a year with 0 interest and no certainty you will actually get anything in the end. As manufacturers can decided to discontinue the product before you get it when super versions will replace it by then. I'm sure the shop will not fork out the difference in price, so such person will just get a refund. But whatever people prefer, I reckon.
So similar situation is going on with my monitor. There is a superior model coming out in April. The modal that is currently out, hasn’t been managed well by the manufacturer. OCUK Have said, those who are currently still waiting will have the chance to get first in the queue for the newer model, yes the customer will pay the difference or have a refund and find a similar priced model.

Associate
So similar situation is going on with my monitor. There is a superior model coming out in April. The modal that is currently out, hasn’t been managed well by the manufacturer. OCUK Have said, those who are currently still waiting will have the chance to get first in the queue for the newer model, yes the customer will pay the difference or have a refund and find a similar priced model.

It's good to hear shop assists and tries to make customer happy, though it all depends of availability and if moving to another, new queue, even make any sense. Like with 3080 - lets say 700 people still wait in queue for one model, new 3080 Super or Ti comes, they get a chance to move but there's like 5 cards coming per month only. Does it even make sense to switch queue, then? Even if 300 people only switches and gets put at the start of the queue, someone will still be number 300. And I am sure shop doesn't want again 300 people waiting in queue for who knows how long - hence, I doubt this will be even an option in such case.

Associate
Do you think if/when the 3080 Ti comes out which is apparently mid April that will make 3080s easier or harder to come by?
Surely it would be the same. The shortage of silica, capacitor, and other raw materials will affect on stocks, also, we will have the same issues with scalpers and manufacturers selling to scalpers before realising to business and what not.

Associate
Do you think if/when the 3080 Ti comes out which is apparently mid April that will make 3080s easier or harder to come by?

if BTC and ETH continue climbing (which they have been this week, ETH spiked this weekend), you'll have a repeat of the same we have seen with RTX 3060 launch last month and in October.

Luckily, if the mining hashrate difficulty goes up, we may see older gen cards become less profitable and miners will be forced to sell them - It's a vicious circle

Associate
The whole reason ETH became super popular is because it could be mined without an ASIC. Bitcoin was the only big game in town until the ASIC's took over and it became difficult to acquire enough ASIC's to support big mining operations. These companies that were producing ASIC's simply didn't have the capacity to get enough chips and/or build enough fully completed miners.

It wasn't uncommon for a new miner to be announced, take pre-orders for 6+ months then it launches and still people would be waiting 6+ months to a year before they received their miner.

In comes altcoins which are mineable on GPU's. Suddenly miners can walk into any computer store and walk out with a profitable mining card. ETH takes off, GPU's become scarce.

When ETH changes to proof of stake you know what will happen? Miners will look for a new coin to mine, one that can be mined on GPU's because they're readily available, at-least compared to ASIC's. And I actually think ETH value will drop because there wont be as many people interested in it when they can't get the upper hand on others by having large mining operations to earn more coin by sizing up their operation. We already have Bitcoin to be that entity in the market.

So my prediction is ETH will abandon their switch to proof of stake to stay relevant with miners or they will die off and another altcoin will take over that can be mined profitably on GPU's.

tl;dr Mining is not going away, availability will only improve if the entire mining craze has a value crash (like we've seen before). If and when that'll happen is impossible to predict.

Last edited:
Associate
Almost got into an argument with someone yesterday who claimed that the 6900XT is way cheaper than a 3090 as I was under the impression they were at the same price point.
Had to look up current 3090 prices and what the hell, they've shot up

Associate
Some Asus and Gigabyte folks will be happy today. Happy for them and good luck to them. After the long list Gibbo posted about incoming stock. Could me that other stocks might trickle through. Fingers crossed for all.

Associate
Some Asus and Gigabyte folks will be happy today. Happy for them and good luck to them. After the long list Gibbo posted about incoming stock. Could me that other stocks might trickle through. Fingers crossed for all.

Yes I am thanks, got an email 40 mins ago to state my gaming OC 3090 is dispatched.

Completely out of the blue, I could’ve sworn they said they was no more delivery’s scheduled for March and April. Plus with the gigabyte numbers they mentioned were due last week, I was still a good 17 cards away from my number. I had honestly given up any hope of getting it this side of June.

Fingers crossed all your orders start speeding up soon as well.
Feel like I’ve won the lottery.

Associate
Yes I am thanks, got an email 40 mins ago to state my gaming OC 3090 is dispatched.

Completely out of the blue, I could’ve sworn they said they was no more delivery’s scheduled for March and April. Plus with the gigabyte numbers they mentioned were due last week, I was still a good 17 cards away from my number. I had honestly given up any hope of getting it this side of June.

Fingers crossed all your orders start speeding up soon as well.
Feel like I’ve won the lottery.
I believe that the numbers listed by Gibbo, they were only for March. But fingers crossed more come through and that April is a better month.

Back
Top Bottom