• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you pre-order or buy a Rocket Lake CPU?

Soldato
So having considered 10th gen, and being tempted by the 10850, I realised that 8/16 was enough, and I'd rather choose PCIE4 for a bit more future proofing. Comparing specs, there's no way I'd spend more on the i9 11900K as it's not different enough in my mind to the 11700K, so that's what I'm going to opt for. I may actually go for the non K, so the 11700 as I wont overclock on this anyway and gives me a bit more thermal head room

Awesome upgrade then.

Have you considered that it may be better/cheaper to get a 10 series chip now and when you 'need' PCI-E 4.0 drop in a bargain basement 11th Gen part rather than paying a newly released part premium?

I mean after all as a custom loop user you need to do regular maintenance so swapping out a CPU in 12-18 months isn't a big chore. :)

Soldato
Awesome upgrade then.

Have you considered that it may be better/cheaper to get a 10 series chip now and when you 'need' PCI-E 4.0 drop in a bargain basement 11th Gen part rather than paying a newly released part premium?

I mean after all as a custom loop user you need to do regular maintenance so swapping out a CPU in 12-18 months isn't a big chore. :)

Going by OCUK pricing at the moment:

▷ Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6GHz (Comet Lake) Sock… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) < £420

▷ Intel Core i7-11700K 3.6GHz (Rocket Lake) Soc… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) < £400

▷ Intel Core i7-11700 2.50GHz (Rocket Lake) Soc… | OcUK (overclockers.co.uk) < £330

I really want PCIE4 so I can unlock my 980 Pro, and the 11th gen in this scenario is £90 cheaper. I completely understand and appreciate the 10850K has more cores, but it's locked at PCIE3 and this will be my last Intel chip for a while, next PC (I have multiple) will be AMD.

Soldato
Going by OCUK pricing at the moment

Sorry I don't use OCUK to establish reasonable pricing, only what the top of the market is.

10700K - 11700K there is £120-150 difference if you use the market average prices available on Google. If we are comparing like for like in cores/threads.

I am sure the 11700 or K will serve you well, but I couldn't personally buy or recommend one (at current pricing) unless the use-case was very specific. :)

Permabanned
I am currently using a 9700K, but considering the 11700K. Just waiting now to see the reviews and so on, and for the current shortages to end. So, er, the answer to the question will be, I guess I will be waiting a while so I will probably buy one, not pre-order one.

I just read that review on the 11700. If it's that bad then I won't upgrade.

Soldato
I just read that review on the 11700. If it's that bad then I won't upgrade.
Yeah, it is looking like it's that bad.

Your CPU ain't no slouch though, so do you need to upgrade, or just want to? Since you're looking at an entirely new platform anyway, if you're not in any rush then hold off until later this year to see how Alder Lake is progressing, or at the very least for Ryzen 5000 stock and prices to stabilise. If you need to upgrade, then Ryzen 5000 is your only real option; Comet Lake isn't that much of a jump over what you already have and Rocket Lake is a regression on Comet Lake as you've seen.

Permabanned
Yeah, it is looking like it's that bad.

Your CPU ain't no slouch though, so do you need to upgrade, or just want to? Since you're looking at an entirely new platform anyway, if you're not in any rush then hold off until later this year to see how Alder Lake is progressing, or at the very least for Ryzen 5000 stock and prices to stabilise. If you need to upgrade, then Ryzen 5000 is your only real option; Comet Lake isn't that much of a jump over what you already have and Rocket Lake is a regression on Comet Lake.

Just want to. I like to keep up to date! But I may well miss a generation here, since I really have no complaints with the 9700K.

Soldato
Just want to. I like to keep up to date! But I may well miss a generation here, since I really have no complaints with the 9700K.
Yeah, you're not missing anything by waiting for Alder Lake.

Ryzen 5000 is an option if you want to have a play with Team Red for a year, but then is your overall experience going to improve? Ryzen 5000 may be the superior gaming CPU right now, but it's superior to the already stellar gaming GPU you already have. Productivity wise, yes the 5900X and 5950X are monstrous, but if you did anything that utilised more than 8 cores, you wouldn't be using a 9700K ;)

Alder Lake vs Zen 4 is going to be juicy for you :)

Associate
not at the minute picked up a i5-10400f for £100 running it in a b560 motherboard its been excellent for games and thats all I do

might upgrade later in the year for a i7-11700 but only if the price is good and I feel the need for the third m2 slot to be filled

Caporegime
i dont know why if you a gamer or even a average user there is literally no difference. the funny thing is right now intel offers the better value. people making out for eg 5800x is a god like chip its barely any quicker than a intel offering and dearer. this forum is pro amd so its to be expected. do research before buying anything. 10 series cpus are amazing performance for the money far better than anything amd wise.

budget gamer 10400
avg decent spec gamer 10700k
higher end 10850k

nothing amd is close . also a lot dearer.

Associate
i dont know why if you a gamer or even a average user there is literally no difference. the funny thing is right now intel offers the better value. people making out for eg 5800x is a god like chip its barely any quicker than a intel offering and dearer. this forum is pro amd so its to be expected. do research before buying anything. 10 series cpus are amazing performance for the money far better than anything amd wise.

budget gamer 10400
avg decent spec gamer 10700k
higher end 10850k

nothing amd is close . also a lot dearer.

Interesting, both 10850K and 5800X are £419 on OCUK and 5800X performs better so unsure on your stance with this one

Soldato
Clicks "show ignored content"
Sees DG trolling utter horsemuck again

Do you ever quit dude, or is your fevered ramblings actually an addiction now?

Interesting, both 10850K and 5800X are £419 on OCUK and 5800X performs better so unsure on your stance with this one
His stance is one of petulant trolling, wheeling out hyperbolic nonsense like "god CPU" and "AMD bias" on the forums for Christ knows what reason.

No doubt he will ignore your direct statement and retort with fanciful abstracts like "Intel offers better price-performance" and "better pricing" despite that being a negative when AMD were in that exact position. And then toddle off into his dark little hole for a while until he recharges the idiot battery and comes out again, probably when more Rocket Lake reviews come out to further solidify proof that it's hot garbage and Intel can't touch AMD right now.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Agree, Intel gets nil poi for pricing, just look at Rocket Lake, much more expensive for max 5% perf improvement, and perf. regression in some cases.

Add to this, a memory controller that is likely worse than Skylake based CPUs like Comet Lake.

According to this, the Rocket Lake memory controller is limited to 3733mhz, at 1:1 (Gear 1), even on an expensive 'Z' series motherboard. Link here:
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/inte...finity-fabric-clock-for-its-rocket-lake-cpus/

Last edited:
Caporegime

depends on the price you pay obviously. the 10700k for eg has been as low as 250. whether you pay scalped gougers price is your choice. 10850k has been as low as 300 ish quid. buy at the right time as said amd offers nothing.

even fanboys on here saying they would buy a 5800 at 420 over a 10850k at 300 are obviously fanboys. even 50 quid cheaper there is no reason to buy the 5800

Associate
depends on the price you pay obviously. the 10700k for eg has been as low as 250. whether you pay scalped gougers price is your choice. 10850k has been as low as 300 ish quid. buy at the right time as said amd offers nothing.

even fanboys on here saying they would buy a 5800 at 420 over a 10850k at 300 are obviously fanboys. even 50 quid cheaper there is no reason to buy the 5800
My point being on OCUK they are the same price. Doing a very quick google i can see the 10850K f0r £380-390 so no real great difference. Saying a product has been as low as is also irrelevant, what is relevant is price now. O wpould also imagine that you would agree the Intel pricing of the 11900K is reduclous at £130 more than the 5800X

Associate
Clicks "show ignored content"
No doubt he will ignore your direct statement and retort with fanciful abstracts like "Intel offers better price-performance" and "better pricing" despite that being a negative when AMD were in that exact position. And then toddle off into his dark little hole for a while until he recharges the idiot battery and comes out again, probably when more Rocket Lake reviews come out to further solidify proof that it's hot garbage and Intel can't touch AMD right now.

He confuses me, bemoans AMD fr having a expensive 6 and 8 core part but ignores intels £550 8 core chiop with alledged worse performance than previous Gen

Soldato

I've never seen the 10850k that cheap and been looking for months for one even on well known price daily check sites so god knows where you get your figures from the cheapest I've seen is 375

Back
Top Bottom