The Mondeo is no more

Soldato
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56526468

So it seems Ford has finally decided the time has come to stop production of the Mondeo. 2022 will be it's last year of production and its decline seems to mainly be blamed on the rise of the SUV / crossover.

I'm blaming motors for a sharp decline in Mondeo recommendations over the past few years. You couldn't move for Mondeos in here between 2005-2010.

Such a shame as they are still brilliant cars. I think they've been hit hard from both ends of the market. It's much easier to get into something more premium nowadays with the rise of PCP and if you're budget conscious, things like the Skoda Superb and Octavia offer similar for less.

Soldato
****** "crossovers" are ruining cars.

Just look at the new Puma, generic and awful. Doesn't relate to the old one in any way :/

Associate
Yet another dreary SUV crossover. The current fashion for these type of cars is getting ridiculous, they nearly all look hideous, handle terribly and have worse economy than an a hatch/saloon/estate. Not to mention they're generally driven really badly by the 'I'm in a 4x4 and therfore invincible' brigade.

Soldato
Yet another dreary SUV crossover. The current fashion for these type of cars is getting ridiculous, they nearly all look hideous, handle terribly and have worse economy than an a hatch/saloon/estate. Not to mention they're generally driven really badly by the 'I'm in a 4x4 and therfore invincible' brigade.

Less practical most of the time as well. Plus the big heavy "trendy" wheels make the ride bad and tyres cost loads. At a time when tyre emissions are being looked at much more.

Soldato
Indeed, but the new puma sells a 'outdoors and adventurous lifestyle' to the fools that buy it to drive to tesco and buy chicken nuggets..

Sometimes you see them stuck when someone tries to actually take one offroad. Which is always a laugh. Most are only FWD, but also heavy so they get stuck immediately.

Associate
Aside having to pay my local council a stupid tax for parking my diesel Mondeo I quite like mine. Drives well enough and has plenty of space for passengers and luggage, I wouldn't trade it in for an SUV.

Soldato
I thought they'd already announced this a couple of years ago, sure the Grand Tour did a piece on them being discontinued a while back

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Mondeo's are everywhere around here and despite mine being a generation and a half old I quite like it.

I really don't understand these crossovers, all the downsides of a car with all the downsides of an SUV. I'd pick a decent estate all day long. Soon I'll need a bigger car though as three kids (two in seats), dogs and a preference for camping holidays means I need more seats and space. Shame you can't get an estate with three proper seats in the back, I feel like that's a more likely use case than these crammed crossovers or huge MPVs people go for. Probably go for an S-Max but feels like giving up on life.

Soldato
Crossovers are partly to blame but so also is the lack of engine development for this model.
As a company car driver, it’s cheaper to have a mid spec Audi A4 than a base spec Mondeo

Caporegime
I can still remember as a kid when the Mondeo was launched and a teacher got one. It looked like something from a science fiction movie compared to what was around at the time.

Makes me feel old that the Mondeo is nearly 30 years old!

I don't think the crossover killed them. Anyone can rent a pov spec 3 series/A4/C Class for the past 10+ years and quite simply Ford/VX didn't evolve.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've only had six cars since 1975 and 3 of them have been Mondeos that have lasted me a long time.
They lasted 15 years, 13 and 12 years.
Others were a Mini Clubman, Vauxhall Astra and our current Ford B-Max.
All former cars except the Mini ended up being taken straight to breakers yards.
The Mini got part exchanged to a garage in Stoke and 3 months later Detectives were knocking on my door because it was burnt out in Leeds and my name was still on it.

Soldato
OP
He did but it wasn't recently, it was 2006 and he was pointing out there were more Aston DB9 than Mondeo ST220 on the road.

Wow. That Clarkson segment was the first thing that sprung to mind when I saw this article. I'm genuinely shocked it was 2006 when it aired.

I remember your ghia (x?) back in the day was awesome. You clearly took the majority of Mondeo men with you when you moved to the 5 series. If someone told me 20 years ago that BMWs would outnumber Mondeos by a huge margin on UK roads today, I'd have laughed.

Back
Top Bottom