• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia sells dollar equivalent of 42,918 3080 gpu to 1 miner

Associate
OP
Have to agree with @varkanoid, the OP's forum heading is very click bait.
First of all, CMP cards are not Ampere so what did the 3080 equivalence have to do with anything?
Even the rumoured new A100 based (only saw those rumours when trying to confirm that all CMP cards were Turing based) is on TSMC 7nm (since Nvidia is clever enough to use the better foundry for their top compute product) do won't affect Samsung 8nm availability, plus they don't use GDDR6X.
Secondly, that "one" miner turns out to be a publicly traded Canadian company, so even that part is clock bait...

Nvidia states that they are short of substrate to make GPU for gamers, these cards need substrate and other components. I cannot see how you have considered that in your reply. Yes its one mining company they sold to, not 2 or more, how is that untrue? I see that you side step the issue about substrate & other components when you say it will not affect GPU availability.

What factory are they using to make the mining cards, couldn't it be used to make 3000 series FE cards instead?

Last edited:
Soldato
If I had £30 million the last thing I'd be investing in is mining crypto. Not at that scale anyway.

All it takes is a crash and he's literally lost 75% of that and the smarter play is to wait for a crash and then just buy BTC directly

You're right but i guess they could also sell the GPU time for other non mining projects if that happened? Obviously won't be anywhere near as profitable though...

However if time has shown us anything its that there will be some sort of dip or crash at some point.. So i guess they must have some sort of backup plan that isn't just flood ebay. Haha!

Associate
Nvidia states that they are short of substrate to make GPU for gamers, these cards need substrate and other components. I cannot see how you have considered that in your reply. Yes its one mining company they sold to, not 2 or more, how is that untrue? I see that you side step the issue about substrate & other components when you say it will not affect GPU availability.

What factory are they using to make the mining cards, couldn't it be used to make 3000 series FE cards instead?
Well, while those Nvidia statements were, I believe, issued to the stock market and hence a bit more believable than their usual spin, I wouldn't takes them at face value either.
And surely GDDR6X definitely falls into other components...
However, if you love arguing, knock yourself out.

Soldato
They are supposed to be failed GPU dies that couldn't be used in a consumer GPU

That's BS mate. Do you really think they had a large amount of failed chips just waiting to be built into CMP for one customer?? It's obvious what's happening. They got a very large order for the CMP's so they would have fulfilled it by diverting lots of chips from gaming cards. They certainly aren't going to wait for failed chips to become available.

At this point there should be no surprise why there is lack of stock coming to retailers. This sort of stuff cannot be defended even by the most hardcore fanboys.

Soldato
That's BS mate. Do you really think they had a large amount of failed chips just waiting to be built into CMP for one customer?? It's obvious what's happening. They got a very large order for the CMP's so they would have fulfilled it by diverting lots of chips from gaming cards. They certainly aren't going to wait for failed chips to become available.

At this point there should be no surprise why there is lack of stock coming to retailers. This sort of stuff cannot be defended even by the most hardcore fanboys.

I know what you mean and why its annoying but i can understand why the bean counters at Nvidia do it/approve it.

Associate
OP
Well, while those Nvidia statements were, I believe, issued to the stock market and hence a bit more believable than their usual spin, I wouldn't takes them at face value either.
And surely GDDR6X definitely falls into other components...
However, if you love arguing, knock yourself out.

Don't think I started an argument with anyone just posted a link to an article in case somebody would find it interesting, then got told that the article might not be true when it linked to a statement from the company

Soldato
I don't know about these, but previous mining GPUs could be used for gaming with hacked drivers and the use of onboard iGPU for the display out. You lose 10-20% performance or something like that, but they're dirt cheap when the crypto bubble bursts.

Caporegime
You're right but i guess they could also sell the GPU time for other non mining projects if that happened? Obviously won't be anywhere near as profitable though...

However if time has shown us anything its that there will be some sort of dip or crash at some point.. So i guess they must have some sort of backup plan that isn't just flood ebay. Haha!

Won't be profitable at all. Mining is only profitable during a boom or if you have free leccy.

That kind of hashing power already exists at the big players like Microsoft, etc who can sell it for cheaper than a miner could be profitable at.

Soldato
In the end, it's just business. I really dislike Nvidia as a company but you cannot blame them for going where the money is. You can blame them however for trying to spin some PR **** to calm the gamer masses.

Soldato
and here is me thinking miners scoop up cards in the 20-30 quantity range, and this 1 miner picks up nearly 43 thousand cards similar to a rtx 3080. no wonder there are stock shortages when miners are grabbing gaming cards in this sort of quantity.

Associate
Won't be profitable at all. Mining is only profitable during a boom or if you have free leccy.

That kind of hashing power already exists at the big players like Microsoft, etc who can sell it for cheaper than a miner could be profitable at.
Maybe when the said a Canadian mining company, they are somewhere cold enough to sell the excess heat to houses?
Not that electricity is the best for thing for space heating, but not all wasted heat is, er, wasted.

Associate
and here is me thinking miners scoop up cards in the 20-30 quantity range, and this 1 miner picks up nearly 43 thousand cards similar to a rtx 3080. no wonder there are stock shortages when miners are grabbing gaming cards in this sort of quantity.
Except those numbers were from the OP's click bait headline and not from the article which says:
Hut 8 did not specify how many GPUs, or which versions of the CMP, were being purchased.
Do we even know how much those CMP cards cost?
All I could find was this THG article:
https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/nvidia-cmp-30hx-mining-gpu-market-723-dollars
CMP 30HX is basically a GTX 1660 Ti, so $700+ seems step but unsure what the RRP would be.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/cmp-30hx.c3780
Can't see those cards being very profitable so no idea what they want with $30 million of them
TPU have been busy with their database though and have the CMP cards listed. Only the CMP 90HX (unreleased) is based on Ampere:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/cmp-90hx.c3783

Associate
OP
Except those numbers were from the OP's click bait headline and not from the article which says:
Do we even know how much those CMP cards cost?

Please don't try to mislead the other forum members, or try to use clickbait links which don't give details of the sale.
The article I linked to clearly states that
"Publicly listed Canadian miner Hut 8 announced the purchase of the Nvidia CMPs on March 26. The move helps broaden the company’s mining capacities while maintaining its Bitcoin mining operation. Hut 8 did not specify how many GPUs, or which versions of the CMP, were being purchased."

So if you had used basic English comprehension you would have known that the company release specified that they had bought 30 million dollars of cards but not how many or which versions, so don't know why you wasted time looking for it (when the info we have is in the article)
If you try to use english comprehension you can see that a sales dollar comparison has had to be used as we don't have any other figures. So the number of gpu could be much more, I was actually being fair on Nvidia by using a lower number of cards sold than a higher amount. So lets use a higher amount.
30,000,000 /349 (2060 launch price) = 85,959 basic gpu at 2060 turing price

So using retail gpu prices we can go from around 42,918 upto 85,959 cards, all using substrate which nvidia says is in short supply for gaming gpu, we don't know the true number and these aren't it but you have failed to produce your own figures despite your clickbait links above

However, you seem to enjoy trolling

Last edited:
Associate
Still waiting for you to explain how english & english comprehension are the samething, and how you have evidenced that my post wasn't based on facts and was insulting to anyone, just saying that your trolling

I never said they are the same thing... maybe look back and have a read.

Lets keep it civil, no need to get offended by every little thing that someone says but at the same time no need to to keep bringing English into it - sorry not everyone has a degree in English.

===

Anyway back to topic, I doubt it matters where those GPU's went... its the past and hopefully nvidia will learn from the current situation - I think they just under estimated the requirements for 2020/2021.

Associate
OP
I never said they are the same thing... maybe look back and have a read.

Lets keep it civil, no need to get offended by every little thing that someone says but at the same time no need to to keep bringing English into it - sorry not everyone has a degree in English.

===

Anyway back to topic, I doubt it matters where those GPU's went... its the past and hopefully nvidia will learn from the current situation - I think they just under estimated the requirements for 2020/2021.

Don't think you need a degree in english comprehension to apply it, and the cards haven't gone anywhere yet, they aren't going to be delivered until starting in May, so this production is in the future not the past. Nvidia claimed that they were nerfing the hash rates of the 3060 as they wanted to combat mining and then shortly after sign a 30 million dollar deal to sell mining cards

Back
Top Bottom