• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rocket Lake Review: A waste of sand...

Soldato
Brill, sounds good. I remember the 10400 being a bit lacklustre in reviews, and that was down to the ram being limited to 2666 on the boards you'd expect to run it on.

I have a 7600k in a second machine paired with a Z270m board. I could probably swap to the 11400 and the cheapest B560 for not much outlay.
Then again, I have a B550 board going unused that I needed to buy to get the 5600X. So it might be less hassle just to chuck a 3600 into that.
Well, or just leave it. It's only running an 480 8gb.
I just got hold of a Core i5 10400 and a B460 mini-ITX motherboard for under £170 for a secondary system. Hence there are deals to be had on CFL too,and CFL will also work in the B560 motherboards too.

Soldato
I just got hold of a Core i5 10400 and a B460 mini-ITX motherboard for under £170 for a secondary system. Hence there are deals to be had on CFL too,and CFL will also work in the B560 motherboards too.

Comet lake you mean? Yeah, that is a good deal. Is that retail or second hand? Only limited to the slower ram.

£150 11400f + 73 ish for the cheapest B560 + whatever postage. Is probably what is do. It's a shame ocuk haven't got the cheaper boards.

Soldato
aObUaOP.jpg

7KFB.gif

Associate
Brill, sounds good. I remember the 10400 being a bit lacklustre in reviews, and that was down to the ram being limited to 2666 on the boards you'd expect to run it on.

I have a 7600k in a second machine paired with a Z270m board. I could probably swap to the 11400 and the cheapest B560 for not much outlay.
Then again, I have a B550 board going unused that I needed to buy to get the 5600X. So it might be less hassle just to chuck a 3600 into that.
Well, or just leave it. It's only running an 480 8gb.

Thats what I did board £105 cpu £100

Soldato
Comet lake you mean? Yeah, that is a good deal. Is that retail or second hand? Only limited to the slower ram.

£150 11400f + 73 ish for the cheapest B560 + whatever postage. Is probably what is do. It's a shame ocuk haven't got the cheaper boards.
It is Coffeelake it was a retail CPU,and was the non-F so has the IGP enabled. The cheapest mini-ITX B560 motherboard was around £35 to £40 more,and the system only has a GTX960 so probably needs a better GPU now!

Soldato
It is Coffeelake it was a retail CPU,and was the non-F so has the IGP enabled. The cheapest mini-ITX B560 motherboard was around £35 to £40 more,and the system only has a GTX960 so probably needs a better GPU now!

Coffee lake is the 8th and 9th gen CPUs though. And those aren't compatible with B560 boards.

Hah, yeah good luck with a gpu. That'll be the tricky part.

Associate
So what from what i've seen whereas Intel have previous managed to regain leads, progressively they've been unable to match AMD in each category. First workstation then gaming. The signs were in early leaks in year told not to expect too much, some did, but the BIOS update was pure wishful thinking and this is probably a release want Intel want to forget.

For users looking for new machine looks like the 11600K and 11700K to a lesser extent are decent purchases, even if AMD offers superior performance in most tasks. Good luck to those who are going for Rocket Lake, but Comet Lake is probably the more sensible Intel buy. All this shows is Zen 3 really was a standout product nearly 6 months old!

Last edited:
Caporegime
So what from what i've seen whereas Intel have previous managed to regain leads, progressively they've been unable to match AMD in each category. First workstation then gaming. The signs were in early leaks in year told not to expect too much, some did, but the BIOS update was pure wishful thinking and this is probably a release want Intel want to forget.

For users looking for new machine looks like the 11600K and 11700K to a lesser extent are decent purchases, even if AMD offers superior performance in most tasks. Good luck to those who are going for Rocket Lake, but Comet Lake is probably the more sensible Intel buy. All this shows to show Zen 3 really was a standout product nearly 6 months old!

Most of their wins really only come about with the "moar power" mode as well, and in some benchmarks their older cpu's come out on top.

Soldato
Those power consumption figures. Wow. It’s actually impressive Intel have been able to make something this fast given the process limitations when you think about it - but the power consumption shows you exactly why their lack of reduced process is killing them big time.

If Intel were on an equivalent process to AMD right now they would be extremely competitive. As it is only the mid range chips make any sense, and even then, it’s not like they are that compelling unless you really are an Intel fan/want one of the (admittedly nice looking) new motherboards.

Caporegime
Those power consumption figures. Wow. It’s actually impressive Intel have been able to make something this fast given the process limitations when you think about it - but the power consumption shows you exactly why their lack of reduced process is killing them big time.

If Intel were on an equivalent process to AMD right now they would be extremely competitive. As it is only the mid range chips make any sense, and even then, it’s not like they are that compelling unless you really are an Intel fan/want one of the (admittedly nice looking) new motherboards.

Yup, it's their process that's killing them. This was supposedly designed for 10nm and was "backported" to 14nm++++ so obviously not performing in line with what it would have done had they got their ffabs sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom