Poll: *** The official 2020 MacBook Air/13" MacBook Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

What 2020 Apple Silicon notebook have you ordered?

• MacBook Air

Votes: 72 71.3%
  • 13" MacBook Pro

Votes: 29 28.7%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Any idea if Amazon are going to run the crazy reductions on these like they did with the Mac Mini? I'm in need of a small laptop literally for watching Twitch, web browsing and a little bit of Office so the M1/8GB would be perfectly suited.

Soldato
Any idea if Amazon are going to run the crazy reductions on these like they did with the Mac Mini? I'm in need of a small laptop literally for watching Twitch, web browsing and a little bit of Office so the M1/8GB would be perfectly suited.

£916 is the lowest price they've been on Amazon and you can pick up a refurb for £849 on the Apple store when they become available. I don't have a crystal ball but I personally wouldn't bet on the MBA dropping significantly lower on Amazon.

Man of Honour
Amazon were selling the base spec MM M1 for £551.65 yesterday for next day delivery, they understandably sold out as it changed to 3-4 weeks delivery and the price has since gone up to £648.45. I'm not sure if it was a pricing error but they have been known to sell a load of stock for cheap.

Soldato
£551.65 matches the price on one of the education stores. I'm that was intentional on Amazon's part - I've gone for pricing errors on their website before and they usually cancel the orders and remove the listing pretty quickly. The Mac Mini was on sale at that price all day, along with some sizeable reductions across much of Apple's range.

Man of Honour
I’ve ordered a base model M1 Air in silver for £916.90 from Amazon, arriving Friday.

I cancelled the order and I've decided to wait for now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would anyone mind letting me know which USB-C to USB-A hub (min 2 ports) they have found to work well with the M1? It would have to include USB-PD too because my monitor is using the other USB-C port on my MBA.

EDIT: I'm going to go with the Anker PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2

Last edited:
Associate
My MacBook Air arrived earlier this afternoon. This is my first MacBook and actually my first Apple item for about 8 years. I was using an Asus Gaming laptop previously but I've grown bored of gaming in recent years and any gaming I do actually do is limited to the Xbox. This is a lovely bit of kit. Feels fantastic to use. The Asus always felt very heavy, plastically, burnt my legs and was a pain to lug around the house with all the cables. The trackpad was awful as well! Very impressed with this although the OS is going to take some getting used to.

Man of Honour
My MacBook Air arrived earlier this afternoon. This is my first MacBook and actually my first Apple item for about 8 years. I was using an Asus Gaming laptop previously but I've grown bored of gaming in recent years and any gaming I do actually do is limited to the Xbox. This is a lovely bit of kit. Feels fantastic to use. The Asus always felt very heavy, plastically, burnt my legs and was a pain to lug around the house with all the cables. The trackpad was awful as well! Very impressed with this although the OS is going to take some getting used to.
Nice. It’s worth investing a bit of time in some YouTube tutorials. The best bits of the OS come with time but unfortunately some are a little hidden away. Look up hot corners for one and also trackpad gestures. If you have an external drive then set up time machine for backups which has massively improved with Big Sur.

Associate
Nice. It’s worth investing a bit of time in some YouTube tutorials. The best bits of the OS come with time but unfortunately some are a little hidden away. Look up hot corners for one and also trackpad gestures. If you have an external drive then set up time machine for backups which has massively improved with Big Sur.

Thanks for the tips - I'll check those out.

Are there any essential apps people recommend?

Soldato
How do the Airs hold up in outdoor use? I thinking specifically of bright sunshine, but with the screen facing away from the sun. I.e. could I do useful work on one in the garden? I know the Pros are +100 nits, but it's a bit of a gamble buying one at the moment what with the talk of refreshes.

Back
Top Bottom