Recommend me a PSU

Associate
I've worked out my Wattage for a new build which i included a 3090 (i plan to get a 3080ti)

and i came out at 724W that's not including all the RGB, but i suspect that will be minimal.

So i originally had a 1000W but decided it's a little overkill and dropped to an 850. Just looking for recommendations.

Currently looking @ Corsairs RM850

Soldato
RMx, Seasonic GX, Fractal Ion, Phanteks, Superflower...to be honest it mainly comes down to price and availability. There aren’t making ‘bad’ power supplies if you buy from one of the better known brands. The RMx 850 is an excellent PSU, so is the Seasonic GX. I’ve used both and would recommend them (I’m currently using a Factal Ion Platinum 860w just because it’s a touch quieter and matches my fractal case - ocd!).

Soldato
RMx, Seasonic GX, Fractal Ion, Phanteks, Superflower...to be honest it mainly comes down to price and availability. There aren’t making ‘bad’ power supplies if you buy from one of the better known brands. The RMx 850 is an excellent PSU, so is the Seasonic GX. I’ve used both and would recommend them (I’m currently using a Factal Ion Platinum 860w just because it’s a touch quieter and matches my fractal case - ocd!).

Would you recommend a Corsair RM650x in 2021? I know these units where released few years ago now.

Soldato
Would you recommend a Corsair RM650x in 2021? I know these units where released few years ago now.

Not for a 3090 no. RM650x has gone through a couple of revisions since they were originally released, don't know exactly how many though. You can tell by the label how old they are. The last revision was a couple of years ago & OCUK stock the latest version AFAIK.

Soldato
Not for a 3090 no. RM650x has gone through a couple of revisions since they were originally released, don't know exactly how many though. You can tell by the label how old they are. The last revision was a couple of years ago & OCUK stock the latest version AFAIK.

Currently looking at a RMx 750 but not sure if it is the latest revision?

Soldato
Currently looking at a RMx 750 but not sure if it is the latest revision?

This is the latest Corsair RMx 750W. The fan grille is a different design, so that is one way to tell the difference.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £130.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

The older model looks like this:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £132.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Last edited:
Soldato
Went ahead and purchased the RM650x a week or so ago now however, no-one seems to know the release date on the new units or any reviews yet. I only need 650W for my system requirements.

Soldato
Went ahead and purchased the RM650x a week or so ago now however, no-one seems to know the release date on the new units or any reviews yet. I only need 650W for my system requirements.

There are a few reviews for the new model. You just need to google 'Corsair RMx 2021 review' to find them.

Soldato
Pretty much the same unit as the last with a different sticker, not a bad thing?

Yeah pretty much. The fan grille has a different design that should allow better airflow/circulation, and it has a better/more expensive ML fan. The RMx is already a solid psu so they didn't really have to do much :)

Back
Top Bottom