What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Godzilla vs Kong - 5/10 - Competently made, looks nice but with just 3 main scraps between the two (40min, 80min and the ending) it meant a whole lot of time had to be spent with the humans and their stories and, TBH, they were mostly utter dross. The "trio on an adventure" storyline bored me to tears (unfunny, poorly acted, just badly written crap) and only the Kong lady & daughter was worth anything more than a 5/10, mainly because of the amount of time it meant we also spent with Kong I suppose.

However I really enjoyed the 3 main fight scenes (the whole reason for the film) and everything involved seemed to have the required weight to make it look "believable", but the last two fights felt no different than re-watching Pacific Rim, watching giants smash cities/skyscrapers to bits etc whereas at least the 1st fight tried something new. I mean if parts of any of their last two fights had taken part in Kong's old (or new) home at least that would've been a better thing rather than just another night-time city being smashed, which we've all seen before.

Soldato
Meet family and I watched 'Godzilla v Kong' and we all loved it. Even my teens pointed out the lunacy of people still being in skyscrapers with kaiju running amok. My favourite though was when Kong sat up and a random helicopter flies past at his eye height. That pilot is a complete maniac.

Man of Honour
The Descent (2005)

If you've never been potholing and you've always wanted to try it, don't watch this beforehand.

Fantastic film that really ramps up the tension and feeling of claustrophobia. Only really let down by the fact that non of the characters are that likeable and so you don't care enough about whether they make it.

8/10

Also an excellent Blu-ray transfer considering how dark most of the film is. Wouldn't have fancied watching this on any streaming services, especially after watching Buried (2010) a few months back on Prime.

Man of Honour
Thor Ragnarok - one of my favourite Thor films.

Dr Strange - a film that surprised me, very enjoyable. Have watched it a few times now.

Ant man and the wasp - couldn’t finish it, just dull. Maybe I should stick with it. Hadn’t watched this one before.

Avengers infinity war - can’t fault it, just enjoyable from start to finish.

Avengers endgame - not quite infinity war, but still a brilliant film.

Onto the new series next.

Soldato
Zak Snyders Justice League 8.5/10.

I know many people gripe about the 4:3 aspect ratio, though I'm led to believe this was because he liked the IMAX aspect ratio. I like an IMAX aspect ratio (on an IMAX screen) though I do wish he'd compromised and gone middle of the road from 2.35:1 and just settled at 16:9 - which the vast majority of people now have.

I watched the 4 hours over 3 sittings as I didn't have time to do it all in so maybe I come away with more appreciation than if I'd endured the 4 hours in one go.

This is just so much better than the first 2017 one and I also prefer this story narrative. It at least matches the quality of the Marvel films, though ironically it is probably because of the Marvel films why the story line went away from Snyders original one and to what Whedon ended up doing.

Associate
Land of Mine - Highly recommended. Available to watch on iPlayer.

German prisoners of war are tasked with the dangerous task of clearing landmines. Say no more, the bravery of soldiers who undertook this task...

Caporegime
Kill Command - 7/10

Much better than I thought it was going to be - a passable sci-fi, with AI and cyborgs and all things nice. Right up until the end, that is, which was cliched and naff.

Bumblebee - meh/10

I'm really not the target audience, but it was crap :p

Back
Top Bottom