Porsche Owners Thread - If you own one or just like or hate them! :)

Soldato
So Porsche has gone for an NA engine but you can only use it up to midway through the rev band in 2nd gear. They should have taken the hit on the fleet emissions rule, or lower engine capacity and turbo it. What a waste.
Stupidest thing I've ever read on these forums. Go drive your stupid electric car.

Soldato
So Porsche has gone for an NA engine but you can only use it up to midway through the rev band in 2nd gear. They should have taken the hit on the fleet emissions rule, or lower engine capacity and turbo it. What a waste.

Why would you only be able to use it up to mid-way through the rev band in 2nd?

Caporegime
An electric car can only use half its revs too.

Soldato
Stupidest thing I've ever read on these forums. Go drive your stupid electric car.
Why is it stupid.
People driving NA engine cars like to use the full rev band, 1) to enjoy the sound & experience and 2) to use the higher power & torque available at those higher revs. Yet this Porsche hit’s 70mph mid way through 2nd gear. Do the maths - that’s silly speeds in 3rd, 4th .....

See this : 1st to 2nd.... and that’s it : https://youtu.be/Afi0BlqMyS0?t=840
A lot of comments from other people complaining about the long gearing being a missed opportunity.

Why would you only be able to use it up to mid-way through the rev band in 2nd?
Mid-way through 2nd gear is 70mph. So unless you track it, or are happy trying your luck with the speed camera brigade that’s where the fun stops.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mid-way through 2nd gear is 70mph. So unless you track it, or are happy trying your luck with the speed camera brigade that’s where the fun stops.

By that logic, what's the point in having any car which does more than 70mph that you're not going to track? It's not as if the long gearing even means that it's slow to 70.

Soldato
By that logic, what's the point in having any car which does more than 70mph that you're not going to track? It's not as if the long gearing even means that it's slow to 70.
This is not just any car - you are buying it for the thrill of driving a manual NA car. The whole point of an NA performance engine is to use the maximum available rev range to get the best out of it. At least give drivers the opportunity to make more than one gear change, when pushing on, on the roads.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is not just any car - you are buying it for the thrill of driving a manual NA car. The whole point of an NA performance engine is to use the maximum available rev range to get the best out of it.
More about throttle response really and how it responds to the smallest inputs compared to a turbo lump.

The revs thing is not really the issue, running it to the redline to hear the noise is nice, but that's not really why people seek out high performance NA engines.

Soldato
More about throttle response really and how it responds to the smallest inputs compared to a turbo lump.

The revs thing is not really the issue, running it to the redline to hear the noise is nice, but that's not really why people seek out high performance NA engines.
I was thinking more along the lines of torque and power, than noise. Which I guess is linked to instant response.
Looking at the Cayman GTS power and torque curve, it’s not as restricted at low revs as a Honda S2K, but still needs to go beyond 7.6k rpm to discover that 420bhp and 5k for max torque.
Pretty much means, on UK roads you’re stuck to a couple of gears.

Soldato
I was thinking more along the lines of torque and power, than noise. Which I guess is linked to instant response.
Looking at the Cayman GTS power and torque curve, it’s not as restricted at low revs as a Honda S2K, but still needs to go beyond 7.6k rpm to discover that 420bhp and 5k for max torque.
Pretty much means, on UK roads you’re stuck to a couple of gears.

I’m guessing you haven’t driven a performance car in the last 20 years, but most will do over 60mph in 2nd gear...

Soldato
I’m guessing you haven’t driven a performance car in the last 20 years, but most will do over 60mph in 2nd gear...
Sure, but 90mph in 2nd gear in an NA? That’s Aventador setup
- I get it for turbo cars where max torque is available from about 1.5k rpm, as any gear pulls hard.
- I get it for EV’s where max torque is available from 0 to 1mph
- I don’t get it for performance NA’s which need to be rev’d to get the torque and power. Does somewhat limit this cars appeal! It really needs better spread ratios.

Soldato
You do know they're not sold just here and they don't have any trouble selling any of them, oh I'm not going to buy this because I can only use 5.5k revs in UK. Just one of the regions they're sold and even then the number tracked is relatively high compared to most other manufacturers. Every review I read complains about it, oh wait no they don't....

Porsches have always had long gearing so suspect it had very little to do with emissions. I know my old 911 could do 72 iirc in 2nd and that was built in 2003 and my 987 non s does 68, yet I drive that around for chunks in 3rd so I'm not flick flacking all the time, yeah it's great using those extra 200 rpm but the noise it makes for a little engine is just fine at 5000rpm too. How about go and try one before making ridiculous statements and suggestions of putting in turboed cars, we should be thanking porsche for actually stoll producing amazing engines like these not moaning about them before we all get stuck in soulless Chinese electro boxes...

Caporegime
Sure, but 90mph in 2nd gear in an NA? That’s Aventador setup
- I get it for turbo cars where max torque is available from about 1.5k rpm, as any gear pulls hard.
- I get it for EV’s where max torque is available from 0 to 1mph
- I don’t get it for performance NA’s which need to be rev’d to get the torque and power. Does somewhat limit this cars appeal! It really needs better spread ratios.
Out of interest what performance NA have you driven? A 4.0 porsche is not a Honda vtec.
You can just rag it in first if you want :D

He’s clearly going past 2nd gear in the first 30sec of his video too and then goes on to mention it’s one of his favourite cars and was all about the noise of the 6cyl engine rather than the turbo 4cyl.

Seems ‘nearly 90mph’ is actually 84mph too

Last edited:
Soldato
Awesome! Although it’s a shame you couldn’t get your hands on a spyder. The GTS 4.0 looks like a wonderful package.

What boxes have you ticked?

Yeah, there was just no way of getting the spyder. There may be one way, I'm just waiting to hear back from someone.

That said, and obviously I was a bit miffed at first, but the more I think about the manual roof and the club sport tyres, the more I'm coming round to the GTS. The spyder also sits 30mm lower, and with the front splitter I was always worried about speed bumps and the like. This is 20mm lower and a higher front bumper so even that will be close, but doable I think.

Boxster 4.0 (Guards Red)
Silver Alloys £0
Leather instead of Racetex £0
PDK £2,303
Folding Mirrors £210
Auto Dimming Mirrors / Rain Sensors £345
Rear Parking Sensors £362
Passenger Footwell Net £0
Heated Multi Function Steering Wheel (Carbon) £329
Two Zone Climate Control £539
Power Steering Plus £185
Lane Change Assist £413
Light Design Package £210
Yellow Dials £345
Yellow Dials Chrono £245
Porsche Crest on Headrests £161
Model Designation Delete Side
Model Designation Delete Rear

Dealer discount was £1,250. Just waiting on quotes for PPF as I want it well protected.

My deposit and order is all done now. Just need to play the waiting game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom