Help me buy an MX5

Associate
Please help me buy an MX5. Everyone says how good they are and I finally want to find out why!

Previous history
Citroen saxo 1.1 l VTS
MGZR
Golf gti 1.8t
Cupra 290 dsg

I want a convertible which will be used as a second car / weekend fun for me and the girlfriend. Yearly mileage will be low and we will both drive it.

Looking at MK3 (NC) 2.0 sport as they seem be a balance of comfort / speed / modern. Heated seats, quick enough and LSD.

Reading about seems to be look out for rust on all models and oil usage so full service history.

I want the best value for money so what should I be looking into?

I can afford running costs and newer/expensive models but want to keep budget down.
That being said, not adverse to spending a much higher budget for something that may retain/increase in value or a clean example. Just don't want to overspend as not mechanically minded or aware of prices.

An example of a few I have looked at.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104010853192?atmobcid=soc3 now sold but 2020 mot advised about rust.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104030925472?atmobcid=soc3 scratch on back and sil shows slight rust? 3990. Dont think it has heated seats.

New favourite
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/783046959009027/
8800 2015 1 owner fsh

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/263018861895271/?ref=facebook_story_share
Favorite at 5000
Auto trader values at £3700
3 owners no rust or oil issues. I like the idea about how clean it is.
Owner only done 2k each year over past 5 years and serviced 4x within that period.
Update - No evidence of FULL service history (It likely does but no evidence between 2011-2015 and missing 2017,2019-2021 (Owner has said he took word of previous owner and did it all himself which I believe but thinking about price and resale as no evidence)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104010864243?atmobcid=soc3
Slightly cheaper and looks very good condition 4200

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101057662552?atmobcid=soc3
Not quite as clean as others

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202104040974145?atmobcid=soc3
Modifications and condition read great but arch rust puts me off. How much to sort this? 4000

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202009033244536?atmobcid=soc3
Might not have heated seats and not sure if it's sport model

Appreciate they are all different cars so open to ideas but just want something fun that will be cheap to maintain or hold value.
Pretty set on mx5 it's just which one.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Soldato
Rust is the main problem. Mazda suck for it. If there is one in good condition (probably not used in winter) get it properly rust proofed so it stays that way.

I don't I've ever heard of an MX-5 breaking down.

Associate
confusing how the merc is in km s i understand some of the mx5s were imports and usually a hiccup when insuring , thus kms. dont quite understand the merc unless a personal import but cant see full write up?

Soldato
How much value can you lose on a £5k MX5 if you don’t crash it? It’s probably slightly over priced, but it’s red and looks great. The alternatives all look a bit tatty with higher mileages. The “weekend pride and joy” at £3990 has a rusty sill. The £3000 one has black wheels and terrible photos which is an instant no.

If you’re able to keep mileage low and keep it rust free then you’ll not suffer too much I wouldn’t think. The spread of prices looks to reflect condition (and probably lack of rust)!

Soldato
The 2 litre NC is generally extremely reliable. The two main things to look for are 1) check its been owned by someone mechanically minded or has been regularly serviced, the 2 litre engine needs to be kept well topped up on oil, preferably at the max mark. Check the oil and if it's low walk away, its the one area these engines fall down.

2) Rust Rust Rust, check the underside, if there are any signs of rusting on arches, walk away. There are enough about that you can get one thats been treated or one thats been kept in a garage and treat it yourself. They are not undersealed properly from the factory so quickly succumb to the salt on the road over here.

aside from that the NC is a solid reliable, pretty comfortable car.

Associate
Having had an R171 SLK 350, an NC MX5 and now a 135i (All convertible hairdresser's cars) I can safely say the MX5 is by far the most fun out of all 3. So much so I've kept it for the last 2 years and 'ran' 2 cars before finally deciding now is the time for it to go.

Arches and sills are the main bug bears. Arches aren't that expensive to get done, just an annoyance. Another thing I found that was common is The central locking on these can also play up at this age. The actuators within the doors lose their strength over time, so you end up using the key rather than the button, an easy check mind you.

Soldato
We had a 2006 2.0 NC Sport and it was fantastic. We did have it when it was fairly new though from 3 years old 'till about 7 so didn't have to deal with rust.

We did have a 1.6 NB before which was also brilliant but quite slow and felt a far older car compared to the NC, again when we had it it was too new for rust to be an issue.

I'd say with an NC get it lowered with a good alignment as that was a night and day difference with ours, it would kind of shimmy when going round corners and wasn't very confidence inspiring when stock. Once lowered 30mm with a good alignment it drove far far better. The traction control sucks, at least in the early NC cars so i tended to turn it off most of the time. It cuts in very very early at even the first hint of slip which makes you think its on the ragged edge where as you can drive a lot faster before it properly slides and having it turned on made you lose confidence in the car.

I think with most MX5's it's about finding the cleanest body you can, look up where all the drain locations are and make sure they're clear when you view. On the NC from memory there's some odd ones coming down from the back of the soft top and exiting just in front of the rear wheels, they have a flap in them which can get gunked up so make sure its free and water flows out no issues. I used to take a watering can round the soft top every so often to make sure the water came out where it was meant to.

Associate
OP
Thanks for input everyone.
Will keep my eyes open for clean rust free examples with evidence of strict oil changes and even better if already under sealed or garaged.

How much will under-sealing likely cost or rust repair to arches/sils per corner for future consideration?
Small world about the MX5 in Durham Delta3D - Definitely seems to be the one to go for but just slightly higher than I'm wanting to pay - seeing similar examples so probably going to view.

I really wanted a Boxster but dont want to risk the big bills, can afford it but find it silly to spend so much on something which will get little use and everyone says MX5 is almost as much fun at sensible speeds!

Edit. Would you class heated seats as essential. I'm likely to use all year!

Last edited:
Soldato
Edit. Would you class heated seats as essential. I'm likely to use all year!

It's the only car we've ever had with heated seats and they were amazing in the winter, probably not an absolute deal breaker but i'd really try and get them if you can!

The only ones you really want are the 2.0 ones and they should be higher spec anyway so i imagine getting heated seats in them is easier? Also the Bose stereo was pretty good in ours, a lot nicer than the standard one.

Associate
OP
Thanks, had heated seats on my cupra and was a nice extra. Would imagine it's easier to have the top down. Yea the 2.0 sport seems to have heated seats and LSD from reading.

Associate
If you're after a NC 2.0 then try to get a NC2 (2008? facelift where the headlights went a little more aggressive/pointy). they upgraded the engine with forged internals and raised the rev limit.

Sport Tec (or the many ltd ed versions like the Black edition) give you the LSD and better Bilstein shocks. (not sure all 2.0s have LSD, but might be wrong)

REALLY miss my 2012 MX5. trading it in when I changed to a M135i. While the power of the BMW was mental in comparison, it's right what they say about it being a lot more fun to wring the neck out of something less powerful while remaining far closer to the speed limit. Really should have kept it as a weekend car, but hindsight and all that...

PRHT (powered hard top) is ace and adds a load of refinement with less wind noise and better warmth, but it's a noticeable weight (like adding an extra passenger) so if you're not thinking of a daily and just a weekend toy, then keep with a soft-top.

As others have said, rust is the main killer. Mine was only 4 years old when I got rid and the rust underneath was impressive... and I don't live near the coast... Sills, arches and drainage points (especially with the hard top) seem to be the main areas.

mods - best easy boost of power is a new downpipe and remap (which removes 1 of the 2 cats - so technically MOT naughty). After that, I think it's decent $ for any noticeable gains (probably look at BBR's price list for an idea)
the sport tech's Bilsteins are good, but i changed to adjustable MeisterR coilovers, which did improve things, but not night and day as it's hardly bad to start with. (tbh, I only changed as I got a rare knocking noise from the stock springs)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom