Mountain Biking

Associate
If anyone's interested here's a video of me hitting the deck at the local bike park. Reopened today for the first time since lockdown. Hopefully won't be too long before uplift parks can open again.

That looks like a nice park, lots of tables and tight berms. Where about a is it? my local park keeps getting booked up before I get chance. Can’t wait to get back on the bike it’s killing me waiting

Associate
Im looking to get back into mountain biking again after a very long time away. Work circumstances have changed this year (positively) so I have lots more free time and I’m closer to the Peak District.

I’m sure everyone has their own recommendations on a good starter bike. I’m thinking about the Trek Marlin 7 which is around my price point for now - anything better than that?

Also, where to buy? Lots of places seem to be out of stock of everything which just seems to be the new world we’re in!

Associate
Had a nice off today, front wiped out on a really loose, very rocky berm. Just the sort of ground that you love to land on :p. Bit scuffed and a bit of skin lighter, cracked on with the rest at least and really started to get some confidence riding bigger drops

Associate
Video or it didn't happen....:p
Solo ride so no video fortunately (or unfortunate, depending on your viewpoint!). Right arm feeling a bit battered today but nothing bad. On the plus side it's given me a good incentive to strip out and clean the BB that's started squeaking last week. It's a cheap stock part so may throw a Shimano XT800 or similar in while it's off, save the hassle in future. I've also stripped the rear hub down for a clean as the freehub is sounding a bit grindy, expect there's some crap got in between it and the wheel hub. Figuring out how to remove it is proving interesting, it's released from the non-drive side and I can't quite figure if that means you effectively treat it as an anti-clockwise thread i.e. righty loosey :rolleyes:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Weighed my bike today out of sheer curiosity and was surprised.

When completely stock (Shimano Altus groupset):
14.83KG according to online specs

Changed groupset to SRAM NX:
12.6KG

I have not had the new forks delivered and they're aluminium so another few KG will be saved there. I imagine the new weight once forks are in will be sub 10KG which I think it pretty decent for a 29" hardtail on medium frame size?

Soldato
What are your current forks and what forks have your ordered? To get sub 10kg your new forks will have to be about 5.7lb lighter than your current forks which I highly doubt! Unless your current forks are Monster T's :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Spose I could have checked the online weights for the forks too :p

Current :
Suntour XCM 120mm 29"
= Says from 2.7KG (can only find this weight for the 100mm version so can assume a bit more for the 120?)

New:
Rockshox Judy Gold RL Solo Air 100mm 29"
= 1.8KG

So with the new forks bike would be 11.7KG maybe closer to 11 for the difference between the 100 and 120mm versions of the XCM? :D

Down the line a lighter bar, pedals and going tubeless would then get me to 10 no doubt!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Speaking of arrivals, my forks just arrived out the blue, tracking hasn't even updated lol... No import fees or taxes either and best of all they are the 2021 version as I thought they were 2020 hence the sale price. Double best of all they come with the remote lockout trigger which my mate has to buy on its own for his 2018 version of the same fork :D

I am not sure if I want to install the remote lockout though, extra cable clutter that I cba with given I have yet to have a need to lockout the current forks?

rockshox-judy_box.jpg

Soldato
Spose I could have checked the online weights for the forks too :p

Current :
Suntour XCM 120mm 29"
= Says from 2.7KG (can only find this weight for the 100mm version so can assume a bit more for the 120?)

New:
Rockshox Judy Gold RL Solo Air 100mm 29"
= 1.8KG

So with the new forks bike would be 11.7KG maybe closer to 11 for the difference between the 100 and 120mm versions of the XCM? :D

Down the line a lighter bar, pedals and going tubeless would then get me to 10 no doubt!

Only difference between the 100mm and 120mm forks will be a slightly larger air spring in the 120mm version. Weight will be practically the same.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm you're right and it looks like I can mod this fork to have 120mm travel too but need to take it apart. Not too bothered by all the faff so will leave :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Really don't see the point in remote lockout on fronts, it's not hard to lean forward and flick the switch normally.

I fully agree, I tried the remote install and got annoyed by the extra cable and bar clutter lol. The only reason I got the remote version is because standard was out of stock

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Argh I have a punctured front inner tube! Cannot find any signs of puncture on the tyre itself so must be a pinch flat. How annoying :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Will try that when I get the new inner tube in a couple days :cool:

Edit*

Caught a break earlier and tweaked the fit of headset and forks Had to rush things yesterday as it started snowing. Now just need that dammed inner tube to arrive later today...

Rate my workmanship :p

rockshox-judy_frontangle2.jpg
rockshox-judy_topangle.jpg

I don't have a bike workstand so had to...improvise:

ghetto_stand.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom