Diet breaking conundrum

Soldato
Hi GD. I've been on a diet for 3 whole months and doing really well, but now I have these things and I'm struggling:

PXL-20210406-194603825.jpg

The plan is to melt them down in a cooking vessel and then pour the molten chocolate into ice cube trays, then I'll wrap them in foil and allow myself 1 chunk per day after dinner. The little chocolate balls are already snack sized and I'm already well into the caramel bars at a rate of 3 squares per day.

The questions I have are:

Will the chocolate reset after being melted?
Will they come out of the ice cube trays ok or do I need a release agent of some sort?

Rookie questions but usually chocolate in my possession doesn't last long enough to be considered for anything other than scoffing asap!

Soldato
OP
I'm starting to lose enthusiasm for my plan. The missus advises that I can't just melt them in a pan because the chocolate will burn, apparently I have to use a bowl in a pan of hot water.

Microwave seems like an easier way.

Soldato
I look at it this way. One day didn't make me overweight, it happened over a period of years of me eating more than I moved.

If you are committed long term to being more balanced and healthy, then that still needs balance both ways. What I try and do is just make sure one night of having a treat doesn't lead to a week off, a month off... etc. Just right back at it the next day, sometimes chuck a cycle in there if I am feeling like I need to :p but I found limiting myself completely, and all the time for long periods made me not like the healthy, which is backwards.

Soldato
just tan them, your body will deal with the excess and will be a tiny blip on the radar

and yes...any enjoyment will be removed by pretending it's cooking chocolate!

Associate
Just eat 'em. One day break after months won't hurt you.

Just eat a bunch of >1000 cal of carrots and broccoli tomorrow instead of you're regular meals and it'll barely make a difference.

Once you separate the thought of necessary eating from comfort eating you'll never gain more than 1kg again as you can always compromise down the calories over the rest of the week.

Soldato
If you're going to melt them then yes, the best way is in a heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water.

However, just eat them and enjoy them and mark it down as a gluttonous treat and back on the wagon tomorrow, one bad day won't completely undo 3 months of hard work :)

Soldato
Much better to eat a full egg one day than a little each day. Your body can only absorb a limitted amount so if you eat them all one day you'd barely notice on the scales.
If you eat a little each day for a month it will have a lot bigger impact.

Soldato
I'm starting to lose enthusiasm for my plan. The missus advises that I can't just melt them in a pan because the chocolate will burn, apparently I have to use a bowl in a pan of hot water.

Microwave seems like an easier way.

I remember when I learned this at school and was like.... wtf? Is this not easier to just put it straight in the pan. I just could not understand the logic lol.

Soldato
Don’t get dragged into disordered eating. Just take a week off dieting, eating sensibly then have a bit of egg every day (no rush), share them with your partner. Also depending on your calorie intake when dieting you might even... shock, horror, be able to fit a bit of chocolate in daily or a few times a week. Read up on flexible dieting.

Also some of these replies... your body is remarkably good at not letting things that are digestible go to waste - if you eat 5000kcal of chocolate then your body will still extract that 5000kcal and use the associated protein/fat/carbs accordingly, minus the small energy cost to digest it.

Soldato
Eat the eggs, then go to the supermarket and buy as many discounted Easter eggs as you can physically carry, then eat those, then spend all your savings on more Easter eggs, and eat those, then become destitute and do unspeakable things for more Easter eggs. Basically it’s all a downward spiral from here.

Associate
Much better to eat a full egg one day than a little each day. Your body can only absorb a limitted amount so if you eat them all one day you'd barely notice on the scales.
If you eat a little each day for a month it will have a lot bigger impact.

This backed in science or your opinion? Serious question...

Back
Top Bottom