What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
One side of my garden has wooden fence that us direct into the ground. Parts have started going 'squishy when it eventually goes ill put some concrete blocks in the bottom. One thing I'm not sure how to solve, is that our shed has wooden 'skids' that are part of the vase. They are rotten but I don't know what the best way is of having a shed. The skids are on a concrete pad, but I believe it's it's slightly dished so water pools a it. I know the best way would be to empty the shed and move it to redo it, but it's 8 X 10 foot and likely to fall apart. I'm still working on fitting those lights though, I've got them up and tacked some cable round but I'm just not getting time to do it (kids wanted to go geocaching this afternoon).

I had the same problem so jacked shed up which involved emptying it and bolting battons across front and back then jacking it up by a inch or so then put wood pieces under to keep it up-The new skids were slightly bigger than the old ones - I soaked mine in creosote and put a wrap of damp course on two sides -(base-top and folded up one side)
Then slid them under next to existing ones
Not sure if mine is 6x8 or 6x10 -It's too cold to go out now and measure
PqdjFdx.jpg

vOptzfN.jpg

Soldato
Put a roller blind up in the spare room / wife's WFH room

IMG-20210405-124726.jpg

Soldato
We have a new dishwasher, but it's about 1mm too wide for the unit space. Annoying.

I spent an hour or so destroying sanding belts to take some off the side of one unit. It still won't fit (still sticks out about 3 inches), so I'll be finishing that off later this week.

On the plus side, the scrappy had the old dishwasher off the pavement within an hour, so saved me a trip to the tip.

Associate
It's like some kind of optical illusion! Is it the distortion on the camera lens?

Just bought the same coat hooks off amazon to do something similar.

Dave

Soldato
You guys ready for picture overload. It's been a busy weekend!

First we had this raised bed down the side of the house, it was nice but we were never a fan of the stone wall (especially where i'd rebuilt part of it very badly). We also wanted somewhere to stick the bins as currently they're right next to the back door on the patio.

So this

0LHQxi8.png

Became

zBREaKM.png

After i took the wall down, i took a man break. It was good Friday after all

CXXDFAd.png

Then rebuilt a sleeper wall and used decking on the flooring. We were going to use some fake grass offcuts, but i decided this would be better. £60 to floor two small areas feels annoying though!

0lQ2OeP.jpg

4PNomJ5.jpg

(Nb i have pointed up the bits around the edges of flag/decking :))

Then i moved onto my desk. Someone of you may remember i got some free scaffolding boards. Just sanded them back and jointed them up. It's not perfect but it'll do as didn't want to spend too much time on things. Was hoping because it was only short (around 110cm), it'd be ok just using some 3x2 batons along each wall, but the right edge was pretty unstable so i added a support at the end. Annoyingly the last offcut bit of scaffolding board was 3cm too short so i used some 6x3 i had lying around to give a nice chunky look. Can't decide whether to oil the leg or paint it given the grain etc will be completely different.

I've also made the desk slightly high which is annoying as if i'd done it lower the scaffolding offcut would've been fine. However hopefully it stops me slouching! Only issue i'm finding as i type now is the varnish has lifted the grain in a few places so need to sand that back lightly.

srBED6c.jpg

Also bought a large mouse pad.

glfX9cK.png

Then to go on the bit of decking to the left of the raised bed down the side of the house, my wife wanted an area to dry the dogs after showering them (we have an old belfast sink with hot water feed down that side of the house), previously she used the outdoor table, but our dogs shed like no other animal on earth so the tables always full of dog hairs, she was looking at some rubber mats to avoid the paws slipping. I had an old bit of birch ply lying around so i've routed some channels into the top. Will have to see how it goes, otherwise i may mix some sand and paint to give a grippy top feel.

Ignore the awful paint job. It's some really crap fence paint we bought ages ago and i just needed something to protect it.

CgHAznf.jpg

Then set about extending my to do list. We have an outdoor wall which has the start of an oak tree growing inbetween the bricks. I took the top stones off and realised the roots go deeper into the wall than i realised. Going to pull out as much as i can one night this week and then drill the remaining roots. I've taken down the top row of bricks on one side to get a better attack. So will need to rebuild that at some point too. The bricks are really old and crumbly so need to look into how weak a mortar mix i should used.

2Fxode8.jpg

Also saw a bit of felt flapping around ontop of the shed. One of my other jobs is the change the roof as it leaks quite badly in some areas, but didn't realise it was this bad. Lots of the wood is absolutely rotten.

FNfwALn.jpg

h5Fy75n.jpg

Also our garden goes to a weird point. I'd never realised before but because the shed is square we have a hidden triangle. From climbing over the shed i found this little lost bit, with a lovely looked (Acer?) tree. Bizarely the shed condition looks almost new on this back section, yet the bits we see that'd been painted are all ruined. Shows how exposed it is.

IosUYEZ.jpg

Also went out to buy various bits of wood. We tried sitting out on Saturday when i'd finished with the fire pit, but it was so windy we retreated inside. Have decided to build a wooden framed windbreaker using that bamboo screening stuff. The plan is to have 2 sections with a hinge and then on castors. That should mean it's stable enough and we can move it around/angle it however we want.

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha true, i've been eyeing up one of those 34" Ultrawide monitors. Just need to decide on one. I might use the remaining scaffolding offcut as a riser stand though.

Also not sure why i didn't drill a hole for cables. Will have to remedy that at some point as it looks a mess.

Associate
Haha true, i've been eyeing up one of those 34" Ultrawide monitors. Just need to decide on one. I might use the remaining scaffolding offcut as a riser stand though.

Also not sure why i didn't drill a hole for cables. Will have to remedy that at some point as it looks a mess.

With a small desk like that, wall mounted monitors make all the difference, i think. You can also get some nice, inexpensive, wall-mounted laptop arms

Back
Top Bottom