Food mixer

Man of Honour
My mrs is a keen cook and has long been going on about a food mixer. I know decent ones aren't cheap but are meant to last. Considering I've just had my annual bonus I think I will get her one as she'll spend ages saving up and getting one herself. I've seen a lot of people recommending Kenwood and KitchenAid - are these worth the premium over cheaper ones?

Soldato
I suggest do you know you want one enough to spend Kitchen Aid money? We bought an Andrew James stand mixer for about £100 a bit like this one but an earlier model
Not as pretty as a Kitchen Aid but functional. Your wife might want to find out if she'll use it and the practicality of storing/using in your kitchen before spending mega bucks.

Soldato
you can't cream butter, or make pastry in a thermomix - ".... you put the tools in for the job, that's all."(DeNiro)

kenwood I use, you can add a comptent food processor attachment for pastry, crumbing .... and use the bowl for cakes , meringue ... maybe you can on KA too;

you generally need a flexi-beater attachment in the bowl for cakes, had to buy that as an extra

Soldato
I got my wife a Magimix 4200xl food processor and she uses that a lot. It's about 6 years old, so has been good value.

I think kitchenaids are more for making dough than for chopping food etc.

Permabanned
You barstool. Was totally sold on this and set my heart on purchasing. £1149. :eek::mad::(

Its brilliant though. :p

you can't cream butter, or make pastry in a thermomix - ".... you put the tools in for the job, that's all."(DeNiro)

kenwood I use, you can add a comptent food processor attachment for pastry, crumbing .... and use the bowl for cakes , meringue ... maybe you can on KA too;

you generally need a flexi-beater attachment in the bowl for cakes, had to buy that as an extra

Yeah you can, can do all that stuff, its bloody awesome. :)

Soldato
you might find (even at lewis's?) some kenwood major (more hp, bigger bowl) deals with lots of accessories that work out cheaper in the long run,
doubt it includes the bronze pasta extruder which is on my bucket list (it's like adult meccano sets)

[
Yeah you can,
LOL - the thermomix 'sponge' recipe https://thermobliss.com/thermomix-sponge-cake-with-jam-cream/

• [*]Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
    [*]Grease 2 X small round cake tins.
    [*]Mix the bicarb soda, cream of tartar and cornflour on Speed 5 for 10 seconds. Remove the set aside.
    [*]Wash and dry the TM bowl.
    [*]Add the raw sugar and mill on Speed 9 for 10 seconds. Remove and set aside.
    [*]Wash and dry the TM bowl very thoroughly.
    [*]Place the butterfly into the TM bowl. Add the egg whites and beat on Speed 3 for 2-4 minutes or until stiff (with the MC removed).
    [*]With the butterfly still rotating on Speed 3, add the milled sugar one teaspoon at a time through the lid. This will take approximately 4-5 minutes.
    [*]Reduce the speed to soft (with the butterfly still inserted) and add egg yolks one at a time through the hole in the lid.
    [*]Remove the butterfly.
    [*]Add the vanilla extract, hot water and cornflour mixture to the bowl.
    [*]Mix on Speed 3 for 5 seconds.
    [*]Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix on Speed 3 for another 3 seconds (or until combined).
    [*]Divide the mixture between the cake tins and place into the oven for 35-40 minutes.[/QUOTE

Associate
I have a Kenwood Chef Cooking, and a Maximix 5200XL They are quite different machines, but if you are going to buy ust one get the Kenwood, and the one with the largest bowl and highest power motor is the best choice.

The Chef is not just a food mixer, it is a product with tons of accessories which set it apart from others https://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-int/promo/chef-attachments

So if you want to make icecream or pasta, or extract juice, you buy the accessories and away you go.

This is the versatility of the machine and so far as I know, no other has it. Add into that, spares are easily available and reasonably cheap and you have a machine which should last a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom