AMD vs Nvidia Build Advice

Associate
Looking to get my first rig for gaming/productivity. Got offers on two builds first at £500 second at £650. Would be great to know what people think is better value.

1st Build £500 AMD Ryzen 2600 with 6 cores and 12 threads CPU Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX580 8Gb GPU Klevv Bolt X 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz memory MSI A320M Pro Max motherboard Torosus 256Gb Gen3 M.2 NVME primary drive 2x Western Digital 1Tb HDD’s in RAID 0 (2Tb usable) Aerocool Cylon 700w semi modular power supply AMD Wraith Prism ARGB CPU cooler BitFenix Phenom Micro ATX case 5x PWM ARGB fans

2nd Build £650 Zotac 1070 8gb AMP gpu Intel i5 6600k cpu Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H motherboard 16gb corsair 3000mhz RAM 550w corsair psu Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler 500gb ssd 500gb hdd Gamemax Mini Abyss case

Not very experienced with PC building so all advice is greatly appreciated :D

Associate
Well, I feel the CPU on the 2nd one has aged poorly due to only being 4C/4T.
The 2nd GPU is faster (the 6GB 1060 would have been the closer to a 580).
1st has a better case although with 2x 3.5" HDDs it might a bit cramped.
Aerocool as a PSU manufacturer? No thanks, even the cheapest Corsair should be better than that.
The generic RAM and generic M.2 NVMe in the 1st rig don't inspire confidence.

Soldato
Best value probably depends a bit on whether your productivity software will tax the cpu or gpu more, and how much you value eye candy & framerates in games.

IMO:

1st one wins: CPU, case & fans
2nd one wins: GPU, PSU (trust corsair over Aerocool)
Tbc/draw:
RAM - random brand on the 1st one then again if it runs at a better speed than the 2nd one's corsair ram then maybe that should count for it...
Storage - depends whether you need 2TB of storage that the first one has or not (presumably not though as the second one only has 1TB total). Personally wouldn't want to trust raid 0 on a second hand PC to be honest so would probably change that config. Hard to compare to the ssd and hdd on the 2nd PC as you don't know the details.
Motherboard - both entry level boards, should be fine I'd have thought.
CPU cooler - both have decent coolers

Unless the extra gpu performance is a big draw I might be tempted to go for number 1. Overall system may be a few years younger based on cpu , so hopefully less likely for anything to fail. Nice upgrade path to a ryzen 3000 series cpu in the future if wanted, and hopefully an option to upgrade the gpu once the current madness is over if required.

If your budget is around £650 then you might have £150 spare. If so then I'd think about selling the PSU, SSD (if a windows key is included then grab it first), and hdds, and replace with something like:
WD Blue 1TB NVME drive - £90
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

SUPER FLOWER GOLDEN GREEN HX 650W "80 PLUS GOLD" - £74.99
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...0-plus-gold-power-supply-black-ca-004-sf.html

This would leave you with a good base for future upgrades as well as something that should be very useable for the time being.

Purely my personal thoughts, am sure other more knowledgeable people may have different thoughts!

Associate
I'd go for the first. Socket AM4 and you can get plenty of compatible processors for that if you need to in future (assuming there is a bios that will support it!).
The 1070 is better than the RX 580 GPU, but having said that - the RX 580 is still a good card (I'm using one at the moment and I'm currently playing Doom Eternal at 75fps).

For the price difference, you could always switch out the PSU for a better one.

Soldato
I'd go for the first. Socket AM4 and you can get plenty of compatible processors for that if you need to in future (assuming there is a bios that will support it!).

No way that MSI A320 board will handle anything more than the R5 2600. If you put an 8 core or more on that you are asking for trouble. The VRM is awful.

Associate
I say neither. Both are out of date. You could build a 10 or 11 (Intel) series build for a similar price. However, the main issue then is the lack of graphics card. AMD have good onboard graphics CPU's however, none in stock at moment.

I would look to a more modern PC build than these two.

Associate
Looking to get my first rig for gaming/productivity. Got offers on two builds first at £500 second at £650. Would be great to know what people think is better value.

1st Build £500 AMD Ryzen 2600 with 6 cores and 12 threads CPU Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX580 8Gb GPU Klevv Bolt X 16Gb DDR4 3200Mhz memory MSI A320M Pro Max motherboard Torosus 256Gb Gen3 M.2 NVME primary drive 2x Western Digital 1Tb HDD’s in RAID 0 (2Tb usable) Aerocool Cylon 700w semi modular power supply AMD Wraith Prism ARGB CPU cooler BitFenix Phenom Micro ATX case 5x PWM ARGB fans

2nd Build £650 Zotac 1070 8gb AMP gpu Intel i5 6600k cpu Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2H motherboard 16gb corsair 3000mhz RAM 550w corsair psu Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler 500gb ssd 500gb hdd Gamemax Mini Abyss case

Not very experienced with PC building so all advice is greatly appreciated :D
Go with Nvidia build. A better card and personally I have had any issue with Nvidia drivers

Back
Top Bottom