US police thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The crazy thing is, he was only getting pulled over for tailgating (his parents vehicle), and probably wouldn't have even got a ticket. He had no prior convictions. Now he will spend decades in prison, and as she was part of a federal task force, it will be federal prison where they don't parole you early, he'll have to do the whole sentence.

I'm pretty sure it's a lot more crazy that his response to being pulled over for tailgating was to shoot the officer as they walked up to the drivers door.

Soldato
Linking videos of Cops being shot at routine traffic stops just explains further why they are going from zero to eleven when stopping someone with almost nothing in-between. I don't think either side is able to think clearly when every routine situation is being regarded by the Police as a matter of life or death. It is resulting in random behaviour from both sides of the line and both Cops and armed civilians being ready to defend their lives. In the UK we just don't have that relationship with the Police.

In the UK 99% of Police interaction with the public doesn't even have the accidental chance of a gun being discharged as they simply are not armed in the first place.

Soldato
5 mins in and lo and behold there was more to it. There always is.

Didn't stop for 1.5 miles
Won't comply with simple demands
Won't put hands out of window even with the cops gun drawn.

The initial version I thought seemed way over the top and appeared to be a guy being pepper sprayed for no apparent reason. Context is key as usual. Comply with the demands of cops and you do not get shot, with very few exceptions.

Who can blame him for not wanting to stop on the side of the road in the dark? He drove slowly to a well lit petrol station where there would also likely be witnesses and CCTV. He also had the good sense to film it all.

Its not like other people haven't been shot following commands. When you have cases like Philando Castile, pulled over, is asked for his driving licence, tells the officer he has a concealed carry permit and is armed, the cop loses his **** and shoots him 7 times from point blank range in front of his girlfriend and her 4 year old daughter. The cop was prosecuted for 2nd degree manslaughter and two counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm but was acquitted.
One juror who later spoke anonymously said:
What we were looking at was some pretty obscure things to a lot of people, like culpable negligence. You think you might know what it means: It's negligent, but maybe pretty bad negligence. Well, it's gross negligence with an element of recklessness ... We had the law in front of us so we could break it down.

It just came down to us not being able to see what was going on in the car. Some of us were saying that there was some recklessness there, but that didn't stick because we didn't know what escalated the situation: was he really seeing a gun? We felt [Yanez] was an honest guy ... and in the end, we had to go on his word, and that's what it came down to.

This also came out. Castile had been stopped by the police at least 49 times in 13 years for minor traffic and equipment violations, the majority of which were dismissed. Imagine being stopped 49 times. I have been stopped maybe 10 times in 33 years of driving, 25 of which I've lived in and around London. He had no criminal record. Now if you think black people don't see incidents like this and think, that could happen to me, you are crazy. If I was black I'd be driving to a well lit place with witnesses and CCTV as well.

Soldato
Which doesn't refute what I said.

Lightening is an electrical charge. The tazer uses an electrical charge. The electric chair uses an electrical charge. Both have different purposes, but they are all linked. The term "ride the lightening" is a term that has been used for both. It wouldn't surprise me if electricians also used the term.

If an electrician ever comes to my house and tells me I'm going to "ride the lightening" I've either got a serious wiring issue of he's out of his mind and I'm closing the door in his face. .

Soldato
Who can blame him for not wanting to stop on the side of the road in the dark? He drove slowly to a well lit petrol station where there would also likely be witnesses and CCTV. He also had the good sense to film it all.

It wasn't just the not stopping issue though and he seemed intent on not following orders whilst at the petrol station which always escalates things, rather unnecessarily in this case.

On the Philando Castile stop I can't say I know anything about that case and the cop does seem rather unhinged. Generally speaking though encounters with the police in the US could be massively improved if people just followed orders. Yes sir, no sir, don't play with your belt or reach for the glove box etc. as police have an incredibly difficult job. Yes there are exceptions and some police are clearly untrained or not fit to be in their position but just following orders and being polite will get you out of most situations which is surely something we all want.

Soldato
It wasn't just the not stopping issue though and he seemed intent on not following orders whilst at the petrol station which always escalates things, rather unnecessarily in this case.

On the Philando Castile stop I can't say I know anything about that case and the cop does seem rather unhinged. Generally speaking though encounters with the police in the US could be massively improved if people just followed orders. Yes sir, no sir, don't play with your belt or reach for the glove box etc. as police have an incredibly difficult job. Yes there are exceptions and some police are clearly untrained or not fit to be in their position but just following orders and being polite will get you out of most situations which is surely something we all want.

There are from reading reports far too many poorly trained and poorly qualified police in the US. You are in a position of great power and authority with under certain circumstance the authority to use deadly force. A mate of mine tried to get on the firearms team in the Gloucestershire Constabulary, the training and level you are required to reach to be qualified is incredibly high. He missed out by a couple of points. In the US it appears that in some police forces they pretty much hand anyone a gun and send them out. Even those officers that are fired are either reinstated because their unions are so powerful or are just moved to a neighbouring district. Temperament is everything in such a job, especially when you carry a firearm.

Soldato
Its not like other people haven't been shot following commands. When you have cases like Philando Castile, pulled over, is asked for his driving licence, tells the officer he has a concealed carry permit and is armed, the cop loses his **** and shoots him 7 times from point blank range in front of his girlfriend and her 4 year old daughter. The cop was prosecuted for 2nd degree manslaughter and two counts of dangerous discharge of a firearm but was acquitted.
One juror who later spoke anonymously said:

This also came out. Castile had been stopped by the police at least 49 times in 13 years for minor traffic and equipment violations, the majority of which were dismissed. Imagine being stopped 49 times. I have been stopped maybe 10 times in 33 years of driving, 25 of which I've lived in and around London. He had no criminal record. Now if you think black people don't see incidents like this and think, that could happen to me, you are crazy. If I was black I'd be driving to a well lit place with witnesses and CCTV as well.

Wasn't the officer found not guilty?

Just checked and yes is the answer.

Soldato
On the other hand he was fired after being found not guilty and the city proceeded to pay out almost 4m in compensation to his family and girlfriend.

Clearly guilty/not guilty isn't good enough to describe the outcome.

Soldato
On the 9th of April.
Sergeant Jim Smith was shot and killed while attempting to arrest a subject who had assaulted and disarmed another law enforcement officer during a traffic stop near Grundy Center.

On the 6th of april
Deputy Sheriff Christopher Knight was stabbed to death by a prisoner at the Bibb County Law Enforcement Center at about 2:45 am.

I couldn't do that job for any amount of cash.

Soldato
There are from reading reports far too many poorly trained and poorly qualified police in the US. You are in a position of great power and authority with under certain circumstance the authority to use deadly force. A mate of mine tried to get on the firearms team in the Gloucestershire Constabulary, the training and level you are required to reach to be qualified is incredibly high. He missed out by a couple of points. In the US it appears that in some police forces they pretty much hand anyone a gun and send them out. Even those officers that are fired are either reinstated because their unions are so powerful or are just moved to a neighbouring district. Temperament is everything in such a job, especially when you carry a firearm.
I can't say I disagree. The amount of training police in the US appear to get in extremely minimal and there are many examples straight up bad policing, failure to de-escalate etc. I can't remember who it was I was listening to but a few it was someone in police/security that was suggesting that police should be in training 1 day EVERY WEEK. Running drills, firearms, de-escalation. That's probably unrealistic but clearly training overall needs to improve. The suggestions of "defunding the police" from some groups is in all likelihood the exact opposite of what needs to happen.

Soldato
Defunding the police really is taken out of context sometimes. Taking funds from police to use for say mental health workers so they can attend if the police are called to deal with someone with mental health issues and talk the person down rather than the police who aren't trained to do so and it all going horribly wrong. That seems a better use of tax payers money rather than the weapons of war you see some forces purchasing.

Soldato
The amount of videos I've seen with police officers being rushed at by people knives or firearms with mental health issues, makes me think this the whole "mental health worker" thing won't work, they are going to end up getting shot or stabbed.

Also what weapons of war? Rifles? Hand-me-down vehicles from the DoD?

Soldato
Defunding the police really is taken out of context sometimes. Taking funds from police to use for say mental health workers so they can attend if the police are called to deal with someone with mental health issues and talk the person down rather than the police who aren't trained to do so and it all going horribly wrong. That seems a better use of tax payers money rather than the weapons of war you see some forces purchasing.

Might not be paying anything to have military surplus: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/09/why-police-pay-nothing-for-military-equipment.html

But police rolling around in mine resistant trucks, while being a lousy image isn't really the problem.

Soldato

But what happens when the person with mental health issues pulls out a gun and kills them?
What will people say then?

Cites and towns will go out of control and the police will leave.
Even now they are leaving to become firemen.

In Minneapolis it's getting really bad.

"Chief Medaria Arradondo told the committee that 105 officers left the department last year, which is more than double the average attrition rate. And so far this year, 155 officers are on leave and are not available for duty."

"officers mostly respond to 911 calls instead of doing what he calls proactive policing."

Associate
As you noted they alternated orders of keeping hands out of the car and get out of the car. While pointing guns at him. Are you really thinking about a fat compo payout in that moment.

Don't think anyone's linked the whole(?) video, I think this is the whole thing:

Crikey, just do what they say rather than trying to act clever, just get out of the damn car when first asked.

For all they know he could have had a fire arm in the side of the door.

Granted, the chap in concern is a serving military person, but initially they wouldn't know that, and he could have just been in fancy dress.

If I was in the USA and faced the same situation I'd just comply, and if I felt aggrieved afterwards I'd take it up after the event, rather than risk my life and make the cops think I've got something to hide while they've got loaded guns pointing straight at me.

Caporegime
OP
It seems in the latest incident in MN, where a guy was shot during a traffic stop (turned out he had a warrant out for his arrest so he didn't comply, tried to speed off etc...) the officer actually meant to shoot him with a taser and somehow managed to draw her firearm instead and shoot him with that! Doh!!!!

Soldato
It seems in the latest incident in MN, where a guy was shot during a traffic stop (turned out he had a warrant out for his arrest so he didn't comply, tried to speed off etc...) the officer actually meant to shoot him with a taser and somehow managed to draw her firearm instead and shoot him with that! Doh!!!!
Oh dear, not the first time I've seen that either. Really bad timing as well.

It still does reiterate the point though, that even when the police are in the wrong as in this case, it's usually started by the suspect resisting in some manner. The suspects know what they are doing, they a rolling the dice and sometimes it doesn't go their way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom