Anybody here from Stoke on Trent who can smell the smell?

Man of Honour
Those who know - know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-56347375

In an area called Silverdale is Whalley's Quarry and it is exactly 1 mile from OCUK so I'm sure all the staff can smell it.
I first came across it 2 years ago when I went to my mates house and told him to ring the gas board but he said 150 metres over that fence is a landfill.
Since then an absolutely massive area of Stoke have consistently complained about it, it is awful and getting worse.
I work about 1.5 miles from it at the hospital and it reaches wards including NICU, I couldn't believe when I walked in the ward of very poorly babies and the smell was in there.

This is just a rant but interested to know how many Stokies and OCUK staff suffer this daily?

A few posts:
Second morning in a row that I’ve actually vomited in my sleep at 6am, sat up and the bedroom stinks of gas. What are we breathing in ?

I've fainted 3 times walking past it

It's making me so bad I cant eat a meal I'm throwing up bad stomach sore eyes bad head aches I have a baby with breathing difficulties and is on oxygen to look after and my partner who has kidney problem it's a joke how they are killing us off

Rotting Putrid stench in our home again tonight Westbury Park
1f922.png
1f621.png
1f975.png
1f92e.png
1f922.png

Reported EA Ref number 1921607

Can't believe the stench this morning it's all through my house.

and so on ............

Last edited:

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Its called fresh air, none of that polluted muck you breathe.
Fresh air which smells of rotting waste!
I've wondered whether or not the effects of burning rubbish for power would be better than cramming it in the ground still, sort of like what happens in Cornwall with their new(ish) incinerator, especially with cleaning of gases, monitoring and the potential for capturing for recycling.
Aye, they incinerate rubbish to generate electricity in Scandinavia, which is a pretty green place! Seems strange a lot of countries still just bury the stuff..
Hell, you can even ski down the one in Copenhagen..
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49877318

Man of Honour
OP
My sister works at the Royal Stoke Hospital and has said that she can smell it on the way from the car park to the hospital but not inside.

I first smell it when I ride near the multi story and then a couple of times it's been in our office near Maternity.
An old mate if mine has just been rushed to A&E for the 3rd time with continuous breathing and vomiting problems - he's in Trent Vale.

Soldato
To be fair anything north of the M25 smells funny.
I think you mean anywhere north of South london. :p
I thought the whole of the midlands just smells like this normally?
I must say sometimes when Im driving in the country Im surprised, to say the least by the smell of the muck (soil conditioner?) in the fields.

Ooh look the countryside and fields, thats nice. Eeew shut them windows.

I blame it on the councils up and down the country charging extra for garden bin collections. Not everyone will stump up the extra cost, so it means more refuse lying around. Stafford is only just down the road from Stoke and our council have started charging, so we'll be next on the smelly towns list.

ard6SD3.jpg

OcUK Staff
Yep. Depending on the route I drive to OcUK HQ, if I drive past the landfill it's horrible, particularly if you get stuck at the traffic lights there. Heard people complaining about it on Radio Stoke too.

Man of Honour
OP
Yep. Depending on the route I drive to OcUK HQ, if I drive past the landfill it's horrible, particularly if you get stuck at the traffic lights there. Heard people complaining about it on Radio Stoke too.

Facebook page about it now, it makes for horrible reading - https://www.facebook.com/groups/stink

It was also discussed in Parliament yesterday and Matt Hancock is going to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom