Views on Shed Value for money

Associate
Hello peeps,

Looking to buy a shed, and have converged on a 9×6 from Tiger Sheds, but costing £1,500.

https://www.tigersheds.com/product/tiger-elite-pressure-treated-apex-shed/#prodDesc

Currently of the mindset that if I pay more now for a beefy shed, it will save me replacing it again in 10 years...

But it does seem some bloody expensive.

So the question is... does team OCUK think this represents value for money over a more basic and more flimsy shed?

It will most be for storage, the occasional bit of work, and electrics for a number bits in the garden. But then again if its nice it may end up making it a cider factory...

Thanks

Soldato
I would expect it to cost more as it is pressure treated and thicker timber (16mm). This will improve the life of the shed by many years so long as the base is decent and allows water to run/ soak away from it and it is maintained.
However, I have to agree with @GravyMonster , it is on the high side. I noticed that one I am eyeing up (Corbetti log cabin) has increased in price by a couple of hundred pounds recently. Perhaps find a similar shed from a competitor where they have no yet hiked their prices:
https://www.tuin.co.uk/sheds-and-garden-storage.html

These are not pressure treated but have a good reputation.

Associate
OP
I would expect it to cost more as it is pressure treated and thicker timber (16mm). This will improve the life of the shed by many years so long as the base is decent and allows water to run/ soak away from it and it is maintained.
However, I have to agree with @GravyMonster , it is on the high side. I noticed that one I am eyeing up (Corbetti log cabin) has increased in price by a couple of hundred pounds recently. Perhaps find a similar shed from a competitor where they have no yet hiked their prices:
https://www.tuin.co.uk/sheds-and-garden-storage.html

These are not pressure treated but have a good reputation.

Oddly, I did start on Tuin website looking at log cabins, but decided a log cabin was excessive for my needs and, so scaled back to a shed. Space is also a driver as I can only really fit a 9x6 and a lot of the Tuin products don't fit into that footprint.

Re base, I will have a concrete slab, but also thinking of putting a plastic base ontop to allow for drainage.

Associate
That is exactly the same shed we have and it really is a step up in terms of rigidity and solidity over a standard shed. It cost us just over a 1000 pounds delivered and erected 3 years ago.

Associate
OP
That is exactly the same shed we have and it really is a step up in terms of rigidity and solidity over a standard shed. It cost us just over a 1000 pounds delivered and erected 3 years ago.

Wow, so £500 appreciation in 3 years. You could probably sell yours now and get your money back!

Given the shed is thicker wood than normal have the timbers stood the test of time and not split etc?

Associate
OP
Im in the same boat as you. Im tempted to build one myself but since timber is pricey as hell Im considering Sips panels. They can actually be had for comparable prices.

Love this forum.... never heard of a sips panel before. Now I want to use them!

Soldato
Love this forum.... never heard of a sips panel before. Now I want to use them!

Yeah considering when you factor in costs of osb and insulation, having them pre fabbed kinda makes sense.

There's a place called panelsell.co.uk who sell a whole variety pre painted, interlocking metal clad ones and I'm going to try and do the sums on using them.

I am planning to make a 3.0m x 3.0m shed/workshop.

Associate
Given the shed is thicker wood than normal have the timbers stood the test of time and not split etc?

The shed is still in perfect condition with no deterioration at all and definitely no splitting. The shed has a large petrol mower in it and hasn't budged having it pulled in and out regularly.

Associate
OP
The shed is still in perfect condition with no deterioration at all and definitely no splitting. The shed has a large petrol mower in it and hasn't budged having it pulled in and out regularly.

Good to know. Still tempted by it, but the cost Nd wait may take it off of the table.

Associate
OP
We have a warehouse at work that we actually built out of Rockwool's experimental SIPS panels. It's been there for probably 6 years and shows no sign of degrading at all. Really quite impressive.

Shame that I am probably to much of a DIY fool to be able to build a shed with them :)

Back
Top Bottom