Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
The router port will auto negotiate speed, if the cable isn’t to spec, damaged, or the device on the other end has issues or is set to 100Mbit, it can drop to 100Mbit which would give around 10MB/s.

Sorry, there's some (no pun intened) wires crossed here!

My post used, I believe, used the correct unit terminology of B for bytes and b for bits.

My Virgin speed is 100 Mb/s = 12MB/s (ish).

Using a wired connection and Ookla speedtest, I was getting the expected 100 Mb / 12 MB.

BUT, Steam was giving me 10 Mb/s = 1.2 MB/s!

The weird thing was, as soon as I unplugged the ethernet, Steam went to the expected 100 Mb / 12MB.

Is it possible, while plugged in to ethernet, that one application (e.g. Steam) is using a 10 Mb ethernet connection, while Chrome (e.g. Ookla) was using the wireless connection?

Man of Honour
God Virgin has been terrible today where I live I'm on 200mb and I'm only getting about 8mb also when I do a speed test they only go up to 100 is this standard?
Is that from a wired device? Rebooted the hub? If you post your modem stats here we can see if they look ok or not but probably best to get a ticket raised with VM as well.

Soldato
Had another engineer visit recently to try and fix my slow speed. The engineer changed power levels again. Still no fix. He clearly saw that my speed was no where near what it should have been but didn't really seem bothered about it

Since his visit, I have had lots of pre and post RS errors, so I might have to get another engineer out

Started another BQM tonight, how's it looking

Soldato
Had another engineer visit recently to try and fix my slow speed. The engineer changed power levels again. Still no fix. He clearly saw that my speed was no where near what it should have been but didn't really seem bothered about it

Since his visit, I have had lots of pre and post RS errors, so I might have to get another engineer out

Started another BQM tonight, how's it looking

I would ask for new cabling and new Superhub (best in modem mode), got to rule out everything, however if your area is oversubscribed not much you can do.

My own Virgin has been fine since March 3rd install date. I get full speed with no issues, however I do have new cables from street to house and the SH3 is in modem mode with my new TP Link AX20.

Soldato
The superhub 4 arrived today. All installed, no different at all though in terms of speed. Still much slower than what I should be getting (150mbps on 600mb package)

This is my full BQM from yesterday, how does it look?

Soldato
Virgin 200Mbps installed earlier a nice engineer all installed rather sharpish.

Its finally nice to see these speeds although download seems to float between 180- 212 is that normal? although I am running wireless for the time being until I hardwire it all up but the router is in the same room as the PC.

Associate
The superhub 4 arrived today. All installed, no different at all though in terms of speed. Still much slower than what I should be getting (150mbps on 600mb package)

This is my full BQM from yesterday, how does it look?

Looks ok for most of the day, the spikes between 6pm and 8pm suggest you were using the connection a lot?

For reference this is what my BQM looked like when the area was completely congested and there were issues with the line.

And this is what it looks like now that the equipment has been upgraded

Associate
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from a very stable BT ADSL package (40 down / 10 up) with BT @ £27 a month to Virgin Media M500 broadband only (500 down / 36 up) @ £36 a month (18 month then £52 thereafter) via compare the meerkat offer; hopeful £115 cashback and £75 amazon voucher..

Thankfully they provided the Superhub 4, opposed to the 3 which I'd read numerous issue about!
Have been quite impressed with the speed + stability thus far.

I'm consistently pulling close to the advertised speeds wirelessly via the 5ghz channel.

One issue, though not technically Virgin Media's is that my powerline adapters; despite being rated at 1 gigabit (though allegedly 600mbps via tp-link PLC utility) appear to be limited to to 175 down / 36 up.
Apparently I can contact Virgin Media and they can relocate the cable entry point, supposedly free of charge.. which I've considered to the office upstairs where all my ethernet devices are located.

Unless anyone on here has any other ideas? :)

Soldato
is anyone else having issues with VM
the issues im having
1. I'm on the 350 packages and I sometimes have streaming(netflix, iplayer) issues.
2. My wifi is poor in my house i can only use it in the room the router is in once im outside the wifi becomes poor or does not work, ive spoken to VM a number of times but it does not help. they cant fix the problem they have offered to provide boosters but they want to charge me a extra £5 a month and they cant provide the newer router either.

does anyone have any suggestions ??

Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from a very stable BT ADSL package (40 down / 10 up) with BT @ £27 a month to Virgin Media M500 broadband only (500 down / 36 up) @ £36 a month (18 month then £52 thereafter) via compare the meerkat offer; hopeful £115 cashback and £75 amazon voucher..

Thankfully they provided the Superhub 4, opposed to the 3 which I'd read numerous issue about!
Have been quite impressed with the speed + stability thus far.

I'm consistently pulling close to the advertised speeds wirelessly via the 5ghz channel.

One issue, though not technically Virgin Media's is that my powerline adapters; despite being rated at 1 gigabit (though allegedly 600mbps via tp-link PLC utility) appear to be limited to to 175 down / 36 up.
Apparently I can contact Virgin Media and they can relocate the cable entry point, supposedly free of charge.. which I've considered to the office upstairs where all my ethernet devices are located.

Unless anyone on here has any other ideas? :)
Good deal im paying £35 a month which has gone upto £38.50 for M350

Back
Top Bottom