Derek Chauvin murder trial (Police officer who arrested George Floyd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
If I was cop in the US right now I would be handing in my badge, not worth the risk arresting a black man it seems.

So when will we see 'justice' for Anthony Timpa? do the right have to riot and act like an angry mob or something?

3 Dallas officers cleared of deadly conduct charges after handcuffed man's death
https://abcnews.go.com/US/dallas-of...uct-charges-handcuffed-mans/story?id=61774672

Either way the whole racism angle is a lie, it is simply bad policing practices.

So because those officers got away with murder this one should as well? What a great way to apply justice. Maybe seeing more police being convicted would be a better result. They shouldn't be above the law.

That also doesn't negate the point! You don't need to believe that what he did was right to also believe that 2nd-degree murder was a dodgy conviction or that the way these things are handled currently in the media and by some politicians (including local politicians in that city) is dubious. There were three other cops with him too and they all lost their jobs without due process because the mayor threw them under the bus immediately.

As for "well will see" we already have seen, it already started happening last year, this verdict isn't going to change that - why would it?

Dodgy in your opinion. I know this is hard for you to compute but your opinion isn't fact. Every high profile case gets lots of media attention. Unless you are suggesting that no one in such cases can get a fair trial then you have to trust the system. 12 people saw the evidence and came to the conclusion he was guilty. One of them could have held out and it would have been a mistrial and we'd never have known who it was.

You don't get due process on losing your job. What are you talking about. They get their due process in the justice system and when they come before a jury of their peers in their trial in the next few months. After todays result I would be worried if I were them. None of them did a thing to help GF.

Man of Honour
I've kept most of my feelings regarding this case to myself or only with people I actually know so I wont be changing that now but I find it amazing how many people here think they know more than the actual jurors who, presumably, had all of the information and reports to hand.

Similar thoughts here.

Man of Honour
Simple solution. Just let blacks get on with committing crime and refuse to arrest them. See how long it takes for people to realise the problem isn't the cops.

That would leave a power vacuum that would be filled by whoever wanted it enough and was ruthless and skilled enough to take it. Removing the rule of law would result in either be gang leaders becoming de facto local warlords or more organised political groups doing so. Which is presumably why some "progressives" favour it - they think their ideology would win and become the de facto authorities. Openly applying such radically different standards to people solely depending on their "race" would also be a victory for the "progressives" since extreme racism is such a fundamental part of their ideology. It's what they want and what they're getting, but "progressing" towards it so far so quickly would be a great victory for them. A bit further along the line and they might be able to get racist segregation restored to law. More "progress" for them.

I think they're probably wrong about the first part because the gangs are more ruthless in their use of violence. All it would take is a reasonably skilled gang leader to win that conflict and with that much power up for grabs people would go for it. However, the "progressives" could call on greater force either in numbers or by having the military called in. They might well be able to pull it off. They are politically skilled and completely amoral.

Soldato
That's because he was obviously as guilty as sin, even to the most abject white supremacist grovelers on here; but of course they can never admit that: there's always *some* excuse for racist police brutality in their fetid, poisonous view...

Im not suggesting he should have been acquitted! I’m suggesting that the harshest punishment was already predetermined, despite some of the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Soldato
Bye then!

Funny how some people can't handle a contrary opinion, isn't it?

nothing to do with contrary opinion or not - The racist undertones/comments in this thread is staggering....How some of the comments in this thread are allowed to stand is beyond me....

It's disgusting

Associate
ASme
Im not suggesting he should have been acquitted! I’m suggesting that the harshest punishment was already predetermined, despite some of the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Clearly the case. Manslaugher was up for debate, I still cannot see how 2nd degree murder was. But I think we're seeing Dr King's words falling by the wayside, it's going to be tribal in the end. :)

The question is now what happens to Minneapolis.

Soldato
It’s obvious that anyone that even questions the outcome is an out an out white supremacist even if they agree that the officer contributed to his death. Don’t you know that’s how it works?

Associate
nothing to do with contrary opinion or not - The racist undertones/comments in this thread is staggering....How some of the comments in this thread are allowed to stand is beyond me....

It's disgusting

Or......a dissenting opinion. I am quite happy to take a bet without having conversed with you before that I am significantly more "ethnic" than you are. Doesn't change the facts that people have been railroaded into a debate which is going to profit a few and disadvantage the rest...

Caporegime

It's disgusting
The problem is that many of us disagree on the line that a post has to cross to be "racist".

Interpreting disagreement with the verdict as racism, for example.

To be frank, people are triggered by everything and anything these days. The moderation here is pretty balanced.

Caporegime
OP
Dodgy in your opinion. I know this is hard for you to compute but your opinion isn't fact. Every high profile case gets lots of media attention. Unless you are suggesting that no one in such cases can get a fair trial then you have to trust the system. 12 people saw the evidence and came to the conclusion he was guilty. One of them could have held out and it would have been a mistrial and we'd never have known who it was.

Dodgy in a lot of people's opinions, thus there will likely be an appeal. Pretty clear that the original prosecutor thought this would be a difficult case too.

You don't get due process on losing your job. What are you talking about. They get their due process in the justice system and when they come before a jury of their peers in their trial in the next few months. After todays result I would be worried if I were them. None of them did a thing to help GF.

Nope, I'm referring to them losing their jobs instantly at the whim of the Mayor, without due process.... that is separate to charges being brought. Do you not understand that?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/28/us-police-officers-fired-rehired-why

Soldato
Orr.... just genuine systemic police reform? I mean that’s what ‘they’ really want. Not to run around the streets policing themselves.

Crazy idea, huh?

I agree it needs to happen, but it’s almost too toxic now. Anytime a white officer shoots a black person, even under genuine circumstances, or heaven forbid by mistake, it’s a whole world of pain. And you can’t legislate or reform these things. It’s just human interaction. Something needs to happen to ‘tone’ down the rhetoric though. And politicians on both sides are frankly doing the complete opposite.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Yikes how quickly the virtue signalers turned up and turned this thread into driveling rot.

Guess I better order a KKK outfit and renew my subscription to Adolf weekly.

Wonder what the judge will sentence him to, consecutive, concurrent, aggravated? No doubt anything short of maximum consecutive sentences will be reason for some riots. And if we end up on the low end of sentencing then yikes.

Associate
You ignore the fact that GF said he couldn't breath BEFORE anyone put him in the "hold" in question" while simultaneously declaring him healthy. Do you think most healthy people complain that they cannot breath?
Another lie unfortunately, he said it while compressed on the floor, it's on video evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom