US police thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not risk bystanders lives?

And if the cop doesn't shot so the suspect either remains with the cops bike (complete with the cops AR 15 rifle) or is able to return to his car (where he may have similar weapons) what do you think happens then?

Suspects already shown he's willing to use deadly force with no regard for who this might affect. Cop knew the vehicle was stolen and used in an armed robbery.

A big problem with criticism of police shootings and use of force in general is the utterly clueless and ridiculous commentary from certain members of the public.

Last edited:
Soldato
And if the cop doesn't shot so the suspect either remains with the cops bike (complete with the cops AR 15 rifle) or is able to return to his car (where he may have similar weapons) what do you think happens then?

Suspects already shown he's willing to use deadly force with no regard for who this might affect. Cop knew the vehicle was stolen and used in an armed robbery.

A big problem with criticism of police shootings and use of force in general is the utterly clueless and ridiculous commentary from certain members of the public.
Yeah ok Caracus, loading up on the whatabouts. It's 100% fair to criticise somebodies actions in regards to firearm discharge as a public servant, regardless of their intentions, collateral damage of innocent bystanders is unacceptable. I wasn't critical of the use of deadly force either if you bothered to read, only the recklessness at times, I have seen police officers firing down occupied streets with little regard to line of fire.

Soldato
collateral damage of innocent bystanders is unacceptable.

I spoke about 'utterly clueless and ridiculous commentary from certain members of the public' and you seem determined to prove my point!

There is no scenario where a police force can operate effectively and apprehend violent, armed criminals without there being a risk of collateral damage to members of the public.

By all means efforts should (and are) made to reduce a manage the risks but spontaneous situations, like the one in the video ' are ultimately unavoidable.

The suspect in this case was wanted for attempted murder with a firearm and was driving a stolen car used in an armed robbery. If the cop doesn't pursue him he's likely to go on to commit further offence and in doing so pose are far greater risk of causing 'collateral damage' tham the the cop would by his actions.

Soldato
Waiting on protests in Ohio now (another black death in the UK media)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56825871

The Star Tribune has listed all deaths related to police interactions in Minnesota since 2000:

https://m.startribune.com/every-police-involved-death-in-minnesota-since-2000/502088871/

If you use the sections at the bottom to split race, you get:

Black - 55 (26%)
White - 119 (57%)

Yet places like the BBC simply pick out one area to suit their "narrative" (beginning to hate that word) to appeal to the populist opinion at the moment:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56825822

More than 50 black people have died in the state during interactions with police officers since 2000, according to the Star Tribune.

Granted, the demographic of Minnesota is predominantly white however, are the BBC suggesting that only the black deaths are related to there being a police issue but every single white death is deemed as ok given the lack of coverage of any of the white deaths in the UK?

Soldato

The Star Tribune has listed all deaths related to police interactions in Minnesota since 2000:

https://m.startribune.com/every-police-involved-death-in-minnesota-since-2000/502088871/

Black - 55 (26%)
White - 119 (57%)

Yet places like the BBC simply pick out one area to suit their "narrative" (beginning to hate that word) to appeal to the populist opinion at the moment:

Granted, the demographic of Minnesota is predominantly white however, are the BBC suggesting that only the black deaths are related to there being a police issue but every single white death is deemed as ok given the lack of coverage of any of the white deaths in the UK?

Another great video on this shooting

The guy on the right kicks a lady in the head in front of the police! madness.

Caporegime

Biden is already praying for the right outcome.

Screenshot-20210421-095008-Chrome.jpg

Soldato

Black - 55 (26%)
White - 119 (57%)

The thing is this isn't happening in a vacuum. The BBC aren't just reporting on deaths at the hands of police independent of any additional situational context. At the moment there is a heightened focus on the way that black people are treated by the police, there is a recently concluded high profile court case that has been all over the news, there is an ongoing social movement, there is heightened political interest, there is civil unrest, and there is a heightened counter culture movement led by extremists on the right which has become emboldened by recent political wranglings. As unpalatable as it might seem, all of the above means that at the moment the death of a black person at the hands of a police officer in the US is more news worthy than the death of a white person. It's unpleasant, but it's how the news works and isn't indicative of media bias or the pushing of an agenda.

The reporting isn't just about the deaths, it's the deaths in the context of racial injustice. Just looking at your figures above and doing some maths you're 7.5 times more likely to die at the hands of a cop in Minnesota if you're black, that's newsworthy. It doesn't mean that the death of a white person in similar circumstances doesn't matter, it's just, rather callously, not currently as newsworthy as the death of a black person.

Ultimately police reform in this area should help people of all races, legislating against inappropriate use of force in general should lead to fewer deaths across the board. Then it's just about working out why black people are so much more likely to die and then fixing those issues as well.

Soldato

Severe lack of detail in the media despite the bodycam footage - it's really bloody annoying and it'll just stoke the fires of unrest. :mad:

If it kicks off over this then I wonder if the cops will just get "stuck in traffic" while these sorts of incidents are going on, and let them resolve themselves.

I suppose if they'd let her stab the other girl to death, people would still want answers as to why nothing was done.

Caporegime
Severe lack of detail in the media despite the bodycam footage - it's really bloody annoying and it'll just stoke the fires of unrest. :mad:

If it kicks off over this then I wonder if the cops will just get "stuck in traffic" while these sorts of incidents are going on, and let them resolve themselves.

I mean you could argue the policeman deserves a medal i don't think the other officers even spotted the knife it happened so far in real time.

I think he done gone and saved that other girls life.

Caporegime
I mean you could argue the policeman deserves a medal i don't think the other officers even spotted the knife it happened so far in real time.

I think he done gone and saved that other girls life.

The situation might have been deescalated, perhaps not though. If there really is no other option, then I should hope that evidence supports that being the case.

Really is the worst timing though as breaking news articles will be forthcoming about Chauvin's (almost certain) appeal, any heat that might have been quenched by the verdict is unlikely to stay unperturbed for long.

Caporegime
The situation might have been deescalated, perhaps not though. If there really is no other option, then I should hope that evidence supports that being the case.

Really is the worst timing though as breaking news articles will be forthcoming about Chauvin's (almost certain) appeal, any heat that might have been quenched by the verdict is unlikely to stay unperturbed for long.

She literally tried to stab the other girl in the neck in front of the popo.

Has anyone thought that if people weren't doing these things they wouldn't get shot?

Man of Honour
The few articles I've seen say things like "The officer has been suspended" and "A knife was found on the woman after she was shot". They haven't actually explained what happened in the video. If the officers had all missed the attack and the other woman had been fatally stabbed then I would expect news articles to blame the police for not stopping a black woman being fatally stabbed right in front of them.

I would really hate top be a police officer in the US right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom