• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

This is what a scalper looks like..

Associate
Stayed the same

1,000 graphics cards to scalpers = no stock
1,000 graphics cards to gamers = no stock

I work long hours so I've missed every drop by hours. How would it help if gamers bought all stock instead? There would still be no stock. The situation would be exactly the same, driven by too much demand from gamers and minors.

Well, if overckockers get 500 stock tomorrow, you would have 1000 people less trying to buy a GPU, and another 1000 less who would already own one, that's for starters, so your chances of buying one would be much higher really.

Weren't you guys ****** off when there was no toilet rolls to buy a year ago, because some people decided to buy them by hundreds? What would you think if you had to pay 50 bucks for a pack? You don't need toilet rolls to live, after all...

Soldato
Well, if overckockers get 500 stock tomorrow, you would have 1000 people less trying to buy a GPU, and another 1000 less who would already own one, that's for starters, so your chances of buying one would be much higher really.

Weren't you guys ****** off when there was no toilet rolls to buy a year ago, because some people decided to buy them by hundreds? What would you think if you had to pay 50 bucks for a pack? You don't need toilet rolls to live, after all...

Considering toilet rolls are an essential item, I would buy them from scalpers and I would be furious about it. Graphics cards aren`t essential so I`ll wait a year or two.

I`m annoyed and ****** off at the selfish people who buy from scalpers because they encourage it. Just have patience and wait. Then scalpers will stop.

Soldato
Stayed the same

1,000 graphics cards to scalpers = no stock
1,000 graphics cards to gamers = no stock

I work long hours so I've missed every drop by hours. How would it help if gamers bought all stock instead? There would still be no stock. The situation would be exactly the same, driven by too much demand from gamers and minors.

It wouldn't help you but things would be as they should be.

Associate
Considering toilet rolls are an essential item, I would buy them from scalpers and I would be furious about it. Graphics cards aren`t essential so I`ll wait a year or two.

I`m annoyed and ****** off at the selfish people who buy from scalpers because they encourage it. Just have patience and wait. Then scalpers will stop.
It’s the law of the market, they do what they want with their money :)

Associate
I've said this before but I wonder how many of these people realize they should be paying tax on all these profits and HMRC trolls places like ebay looking for people like her. In case you think, "oh well, it's a private sale", actually it's not, the HMRC has the power to decide whether a purchase was solely for the purposes of resale and if it decides that then it can tax you accordingly.

This is not a simple case of supply and demand. These people are just taking advantage of a bad situation and making it worse. If it truly is business then they should offer the same warranties and service that a business offers and be subject to the same rules and laws, but they don't and they are not. It is pure profiteering and it should be stopped. At the very least these people need to be reported to HMRC to dissuade them to do it again.

If they are soul traders then they have to make over £12,500 profit before they have to start paying income tax. They have to make over £6,000 profit before they even have to pay National Insurance.

That's a lot of scalping in a tax year! And it's just turned April, their profit counter just reset to zero again...

Associate
If they are soul sole traders then they have to make over £12,500 profit before they have to start paying income tax. They have to make over £6,000 profit before they even have to pay National Insurance.

That's a lot of scalping in a tax year! And it's just turned April, their profit counter just reset to zero again...
That's only assuming that they haven't used up their £12.5k personal allowance through regular employment. Jake's rough estimate was £10k in 5 months, that's well over the £6.5k national insurance threshold and would likely be over the £12.5k personal allowance over 12 months.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

So you're not annoyed at scalpers, but you are annoyed at the people buying from them... time for me to unsubscribe from this thread, it's getting stupid!

Stu

Stu

Soldato

Where is the formal list of essential items that includes toilet rolls? Toilet rolls are taxed at 20% VAT, implying they are "non-essential, luxury items".

Last edited:
Associate
For all of you people who say scalpers are not the problem, and that availability would be the same with or without them, or people who think they do not have to pay taxes because they just sell one or two (they should be charging you VAT anyway really)... take a glance at the real world: do you really think this is something normal? do you really think having people buying them by dozens doesn't affect you as a customer? You can even see some of them having 10 FE cards on sale, they are clearly abusing the system... do you guys really see this normal, at a time when people have been waiting more than 6 months in order to buy a GPU and are still waiting?

rcVGdQH.jpg
PjK1zYk.jpg
VcPXXCn.jpg

This is just an example, there are hundreds of them. Of course you can't buy a GPU, they are in someone's wardrobe waiting to be sold at a crazy price! I don't even think anyone know how many people is trying to buy a GPU out there anymore really... and this is London, and the price is in pounds, if you are wondering.

Associate
For all of you people who say scalpers are not the problem, and that availability would be the same with or without them, or people who think they do not have to pay taxes because they just sell one or two (they should be charging you VAT anyway really)... take a glance at the real world: do you really think this is something normal? do you really think having people buying them by dozens doesn't affect you as a customer? You can even see some of them having 10 FE cards on sale, they are clearly abusing the system... do you guys really see this normal, at a time when people have been waiting more than 6 months in order to buy a GPU and are still waiting?

This is just an example, there are hundreds of them. Of course you can't buy a GPU, they are in someone's wardrobe waiting to be sold at a crazy price! I don't even think anyone know how many people is trying to buy a GPU out there anymore really... and this is London, and the price is in pounds, if you are wondering.

Thats normal, the guy needs them cards so he can buy a better carpet tbh.

A bit of wheeling dealing going on.:p Its a luxury item.

Lets put it this way, if Delboy was still around he would be doing it so fair play to him.

Associate
If somebody is stupid enough to offer me a huge amount of money for something that is worth far less, I'd take it. Would that make me a very bad person?

Of course not. Buying all the stock of a product by abusing the system by any means to make a profit by impeding other people buying does though. Not to mention tax evasion, not adhering to the rules imposed by retailers (1 FE per person etc)...

Associate
Thats normal, the guy needs them cards so he can buy a better carpet tbh.

A bit of wheeling dealing going on.:p Its a luxury item.

Lets put it this way, if Delboy was still around he would be doing it so fair play to him.

Yeah well... I bet that guy is complaining in a forum about having tried to buy a GPU for months for his little brother... or saying somehting like "I was lucky to get a 3070 at release, although I wanted a 3080 really, it isn't fair I can't buy another one, as I need to buy another one for my son"

I can tell they won't get money from my wallet though, but the situation really ****** me off, the same way I was ****** off for not being able to queue for a couple of hours in the morning last year in order to buy toilet rolls (some people have to work, after all). The same way I don't think it is fair people buy concert tickets just to resell them, they should be for fans only.

Permabanned
If they are soul traders then they have to make over £12,500 profit before they have to start paying income tax. They have to make over £6,000 profit before they even have to pay National Insurance.

I would bet that 99% of them are not sole traders. I would guess that most scalpers are making money on the side, which immediately makes them responsible for paying tax.

Last edited:
Soldato
If somebody is stupid enough to offer me a huge amount of money for something that is worth far less, I'd take it. Would that make me a very bad person?

I wouldn't call them stupid, desperate maybe. It's not just gamers, people need these high-end cards for work.

If the cards are hoarded by scalpers for profit, that's less money for retailers. Gamers won't upgrade or build a new PC. For people who pay the inflated prices, they will have less to spend on components and peripherals, new desk or chair, and games.

The scalpers aren't providing a service where they could justify making a profit.

If someone in your neighbourhood went around to every corner shop every morning and bought all the bread and milk, then sold on their driveway for 2 or 3 times the price, would that be OK? That would still be less scummy than the GPU scalpers, as they have put some time and effort visiting locals shops, loading and unloading.

Soldato
I wouldn't call them stupid, desperate maybe. It's not just gamers, people need these high-end cards for work.

If the cards are hoarded by scalpers for profit, that's less money for retailers. Gamers won't upgrade or build a new PC. For people who pay the inflated prices, they will have less to spend on components and peripherals, new desk or chair, and games.

The scalpers aren't providing a service where they could justify making a profit.

If someone in your neighbourhood went around to every corner shop every morning and bought all the bread and milk, then sold on their driveway for 2 or 3 times the price, would that be OK? That would still be less scummy than the GPU scalpers, as they have put some time and effort visiting locals shops, loading and unloading.

People have been defending the rise in prices for GPUs for quite a while now. Defending scalpers or miners should be no surprize. :)

Permabanned

rcVGdQH.jpg
PjK1zYk.jpg
VcPXXCn.jpg

No they shouldn't be charging VAT. Only a VAT registered body charges VAT.

Back
Top Bottom