Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
That's a tasty batch, had some a week or so ago and really liked it.
Dc7ryOc.jpg
Popped down to Wogan's yesterday to get another bag of their monthly special. We went through the 250g really quickly so I bought another 500g. tempted to go back and get another 500 because once it's gone, it's gone/

This is good. I didn't have time to dial in an espresso so just had filter but I can smell it's going to be a lovely fruity shot.

If you like that and want more when it's run out, I'd recommend trying Neighbourhood Coffee's Speciality Espresso Blend, very similar aroma.

Just ordered some of the Kenyan Peaberry from Wogan's, seen them recommended a few times now :)

This good makes a lovely filter, really smooth, as good as any blue mountains I've had.

Soldato
For someone who only drinks white Americano's made with an Aeropress, would I see much use in a moka pot? I kinda fancy trying another brew method... I do occasionally make shots but only really if I want a quick pick-me-up if I'm off for a bike ride, or in a mega rush etc. I was watching some YT videos and they look quite fun to use? :confused:

Caporegime
For someone who only drinks white Americano's made with an Aeropress, would I see much use in a moka pot? I kinda fancy trying another brew method... I do occasionally make shots but only really if I want a quick pick-me-up if I'm off for a bike ride, or in a mega rush etc. I was watching some YT videos and they look quite fun to use? :confused:

Aeropress tastes better, imo.

Soldato
This is good. I didn't have time to dial in an espresso so just had filter but I can smell it's going to be a lovely fruity shot.

If you like that and want more when it's run out, I'd recommend trying Neighbourhood Coffee's Speciality Espresso Blend, very similar aroma.

Have you managed to have it as an espresso yet? Really lovely stuff. Is there any reason the beans look so much smaller than your typical ones? Just curious

Will have to check them out once this stuff has gone as it's right up my taste street

Soldato
Aeropress tastes better, imo.
I'm sure that's probably true but for something that's a bit shorter and with some crema (more espresso-esque) would a moka not be something different? Especially when we get warmer days. I dunno I think I've just had a year of the same thing at home now :p

Caporegime
I'm sure that's probably true but for something that's a bit shorter and with some crema (more espresso-esque) would a moka not be something different? Especially when we get warmer days. I dunno I think I've just had a year of the same thing at home now :p

Buy an espresso machine ;)

But your not going to get much different really. For something to do, sure. But I wouldn't expect some crazy change in flavour profile.

Aeropress makes a great cold coffee too!

Soldato
Have you managed to have it as an espresso yet? Really lovely stuff. Is there any reason the beans look so much smaller than your typical ones? Just curious

Will have to check them out once this stuff has gone as it's right up my taste street

Yeah I pulled an espresso at lunchtime with it, very nice. 16g in, 32g out in 35 seconds, perfect first time, huge fruit flavour.

The Neighbourhood Speciality blend has the same blackberry fruit note to it, although it's a blend so not quite as intense as the Wogan Mio's Microlot 1952, but has other flavours going on. My favourite espresso blend I've tried.

Soldato
interesting broadcast on the new coffee variety , that they reckon may rejuvinate sierea leone production Coffea Stenophylla
up until now we use just 2 of the 130 odd varieties, but they're looking for varieties that will survive global warming, apparently its like Rwandan high altitude arabica.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000v9c9 >=10"

Associate
would I see much use in a moka pot?

I would highly recommend getting a moka pot for something different. Prior to getting my Sage I used to flip-flop between aeropress and moka, and still do when away from home. The moka is indeed fun to use, and seems to give a more intense flavour than the aeropress. I also seem to get a faster/harder caffeine kick, which would be good for a pick-me-up.

Soldato
Think I've mentioned this before but still happy with it - milk from a local farm that's whole and not homogenised. Definitely works better for steaming milk and tests so much better than the semi skimmed lactose free we use for tea etc.

CShg1Qe.jpeg

Soldato
Looks good & the machine is impressively clean - i'm still struggling to get decent micro foam that lasts with the skimmed stuff we have at home.

Not used a bottomless yet, which probably explains why it’s so clean :p

IIRC, you need the fat in the milk to make the foam properly. Try some full-fat milk and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I definitely find whole milk easier, I’d imagine skimmed would be pretty hard.

Soldato
and tests so much better than the semi skimmed lactose free we use for tea etc.
no sure I got that, don't you drink lactose free because you're intolerant ... but you don't mind it for cappuccino

I hadn't realised the marax was satin stainless, versus polished, from earlier thread pics of mara reflections
- recently took my stainless drip tray to task with the cars dual action polisher & meguiar polish.

Soldato
no sure I got that, don't you drink lactose free because you're intolerant ... but you don't mind it for cappuccino

I hadn't realised the marax was satin stainless, versus polished, from earlier thread pics of mara reflections
- recently took my stainless drip tray to task with the cars dual action polisher & meguiar polish.

The original Mara that I have is polished stainless, with a different drip tray design. I can see why they changed the drip tray, but I rather like the polished body.

The more fat in your milk the better for steaming. If I'm going past the local farm I usually pick up some whole raw milk which is amazing with coffee...

Soldato
but the milk from jersey cows lacks the A1 protein that seems to set her off
thanks didn't know that.

The more fat in your milk the better for steaming.
it's more protein that counts ... which can still be high in semi-skimmed; maybe, they are generally correlated though.
"There’s a science behind which types of milk are best for baristas, Joao tells me. Researcher Morten Münchow discovered that Jersey cows produce the best milk for texturing. This is because their milk has high levels of protein, sugar, and butter fat."

https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/2017/05/select-best-milk-coffee-foam-latte-art/

Soldato
I've had good coffee from Foundry, 200Degres and Extract but not those beans, Square mile red brick is my go-to blend (looks more expensive than it is as they do larger bags). Union is so-so, never been impressed with their beans but they work well in their coffee shops.

Do want to try Assembly but with smaller bags they are quite pricey.

Thanks @Siliconslave, will take a look.

Back
Top Bottom