Dad surrendering his license, wants me to have his car...

Caporegime
My mum & I have finally convinced my Dad (83) to stop driving, he’s keen for his car to stay in the family and has asked me if I’d like to have it - a very tidy 2007 C180 Kompressor automatic with an extensive service history.

I know nothing about Mercs but it drives beautifully and is in IMO very good condition both inside and out but my main concern is the kind of use it’s had, basically a 2 mile round trip daily to get the paper with the occasional slightly longer trip of roughly 15 miles since he bought it at 12 months old.

I t has now done 76k miles but I’m thinking that’s 76k of short trips, the worst kind of use for a car....

It’s got a full detailed service history, despite him not covering 1k last year for example it still had its full service,despite being serviced just prior to the covid kickoff so it’s been well looked after.

I’m sorely tempted but just wonder if it’ll just start giving me problems once it gets much more regular use.

Not discussed a price yet but it won’t be any more than £2k I’d guess, which I should easily get for my existing 05 V70 D5.

Strangely my Volvo is much more fun to drive, having driven the Mercedes this morning I was surprised by how lethargic it felt by comparison, is this how the 180 Kompressor generally performs? - I was expecting a bit more tbh especially given it replaced my dads old e39 528i which he drove spiritedly, these days he’s very far from a fast driver as such but when he bought the 180 he was.

I’m wondering if the Merc is all coked up or whatever given it’s years of little use and I’d be wise to give it a swerve?

Caporegime
I'd expect it to feel a touch slow. It's a relatively heavy car with around 150bhp? That said I'd also expect it to feel a bit more dynamic in the corners than the V70.

The positives here are that you know the history, but the downsides I guess will be higher running/maintenance costs and a less spacious vehicle.

Not sure the previous usage would necessarily put me off.

Soldato
If it was really badly coked up surely that would have been visible come service and MoT time ? Might be worth giving it a decent motorway run for an hour or two and see if that loosens anything up. Just don't be the annoying git doing 50 in the middle lane hacking off all the HGV drivers :D

Don
Fairly sure it's not direct injection, so any coking problems shouldn't be too bad.

Be worth sticking some Wynn's extreme clean or similar through it and giving it an Italian tune up to see if it makes any difference

Associate
The D5 has bags of torque low down the rev range and more power, so I'd imagine an automatic petrol would comparably feel slower.

Both Merc and Volvo are at an age where they could potentially throw up some big bills, depends if you prefer the Merc by a large enough amount to run the risk of replacing the V70, or if it's a case of 'better the devil you know' and sticking with what you've got.

Caporegime
If it was really badly coked up surely that would have been visible come service and MoT time ? Might be worth giving it a decent motorway run for an hour or two and see if that loosens anything up. Just don't be the annoying git doing 50 in the middle lane hacking off all the HGV drivers :D
Yes I’d expect emissions to be awful if it’s never had a good run but there’s no mention of any MOT failures. An ‘Italian tune up’ may be in order though!

Caporegime
OP
Get it thoroughly checked by someone.

He's not giving it to you?
I've used the garage that looks after it myself, it's currently at least absolutely a1 I don't doubt.

I wouldn't expect nor want him to give it to me, my dad has always taught me the price of money as such, I can't see that changing now....

Soldato
I enjoyed my C180 with the same engine. Although I was 22 at the time so it was "quick" comparative the Fiesta I came from.

Question is, are you ready for the quieter life, and relaxing ride? I'd take it over the Volvo if so :)

Back
Top Bottom