Road Cycling

Soldato
Best day of the year so far with the best ride of the year for me.

Big day out but happy with some impressive times in the middle of such a big ride.

This one for example Greig had been chasing from lanark with a 12 minute gap as he went back to wait on another lad. Guy is a ******* motorbike. Caught us at Leadhills and then smashed the descent with me and the other guy.

This climb was meant to be steady but a big young guy decided it wasn't to be so not quite in the top ten but over a minute faster than my last time up it.

Cafe legs hitting this one was fun with a 60kg rider doing 4.5w/kg up it, had to just sit on his wheel and die a little inside. Tried to help on the descent but ended up sitting on as 3 guys rotated - did not feel bad guilty at all :D

Soldato
Ripper of a day today!

My legs are coming back to me, I was totally gassed last week following my TT. Started out feeling alright and improved through the ride.

Not quite got the top end, but banged in over 1000m elevation for the first time in a while.

Soldato
@Jonny ///M I'm just glad you see how lucky you are to have all those bunches available. It's truly a god send and **** most other places in Scotland.
Absolutely nothing up here. There is a local bunch on Thursday nights but dunno if I will bother with going to it.....

Literally just now about to start messaging folks in a 20 mile radius and try set something up for a Saturday. You are spot on the money saying you need these bunches and hard rides outside. It's that icing on the cake that you need no matter how good someone may be.

Soldato
I am looking out for a eTap rear mech - 11speed short cage.
If you happen to know anyone selling or may sell then please let me know :) Thanks.

Soldato
Best day of the year so far with the best ride of the year for me.

Big day out but happy with some impressive times in the middle of such a big ride.

This one for example Greig had been chasing from lanark with a 12 minute gap as he went back to wait on another lad. Guy is a ******* motorbike. Caught us at Leadhills and then smashed the descent with me and the other guy.

This climb was meant to be steady but a big young guy decided it wasn't to be so not quite in the top ten but over a minute faster than my last time up it.

Cafe legs hitting this one was fun with a 60kg rider doing 4.5w/kg up it, had to just sit on his wheel and die a little inside. Tried to help on the descent but ended up sitting on as 3 guys rotated - did not feel bad guilty at all :D

That's some ride! I was out a bit east of that today and the wind was ridiculous - glorious roads for cycling though, think I saw maybe 10 cars across a 40KM loop

Soldato
An odd ride today. A work ride with a couple of new guys, one of which hasn't ever really cycled before. We'd also decided to just stay together, as opposed to the stopping every few miles to let everyone catch up. Well... wow... it was some slow pace... but was also nice to just chat along and enjoy the ride.

Soldato
@Jonny ///M I'm just glad you see how lucky you are to have all those bunches available. It's truly a god send and **** most other places in Scotland.
Absolutely nothing up here. There is a local bunch on Thursday nights but dunno if I will bother with going to it.....

Literally just now about to start messaging folks in a 20 mile radius and try set something up for a Saturday. You are spot on the money saying you need these bunches and hard rides outside. It's that icing on the cake that you need no matter how good someone may be.

Yeah I guess I take it for granted mate.

Guess it's just the population centres really, you should move :p

That's some ride! I was out a bit east of that today and the wind was ridiculous - glorious roads for cycling though, think I saw maybe 10 cars across a 40KM loop

We were pretty lucky too. A few dicks at 9am on route to the meet point but other than that we had a car meet of various Porsche and a McLaren on the dalveen pass, loads of Harley's heading from moffat up the beef tubs and a few sports bikes giving it some beans was nice in the ears.

What is East of Moffat then? I only know the wall of talla and St Mary's loch towards Peebles/Inners.

Soldato
Its been perfect riding weather during the last week, but still on the winter (gravel) bike. As we are closing in on the Giro, anyone else not unleashed the road bike yet?

Caporegime
Wish this wind would do one, so many lovely days but that wind can cut right through.

Anyone ever done a cycling trip through Europe? A group of us are considering doing one next summer, maybe 50-100km per day for a good few days.

Apparently you can hire people/companies that can follow you in a car with all your stuff? Perfect!

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah I guess I take it for granted mate.

Guess it's just the population centres really, you should move :p

We were pretty lucky too. A few dicks at 9am on route to the meet point but other than that we had a car meet of various Porsche and a McLaren on the dalveen pass, loads of Harley's heading from moffat up the beef tubs and a few sports bikes giving it some beans was nice in the ears.

What is East of Moffat then? I only know the wall of talla and St Mary's loch towards Peebles/Inners.
Loop from Bathgate through West Calder down to Tarbax and back in via Breich. For a longer run I'd be heading off to biggar. Not the crazy number you are posting!

Soldato
It's the thing you do when you're ancient like me and can't go hard every day that ends in Y.

I'm over 30 now so getting on a bit. Forced rest day due to the weather making me skip the bundy(loads of folk are so not missing much afaik) and no Zwift as turbo bike has no saddle. I'll get the snapped piece out soon and get that bike going again. May sell the power meter though not sure. Would go towards getting my roof fixed, new flooring and new front/back doors that I also need :o

For me - MTB rides :D

Must have done 4+ in the last 6 weeks or so. Didn't touch it all of last year. Kinda nice going off-road in some of Surrey. Crossing roads I've ridden many a time on-the-road.

I miss my MTB to be honest, could do with getting one once bike shortage is over and we're in the normal world again.

Loop from Bathgate through West Calder down to Tarbax and back in via Breich. For a longer run I'd be heading off to biggar. Not the crazy number you are posting!

Got ya, only ridden a few roads through there when I met my mate who stays in West Calder. He was trying to start a Livi bunch up but it's only a handful of guys and it looks to be about 23mph around that neck of the woods pretty sure we came back in on the lang wang and turned right at Tarbax iirc.

Soldato
Weather has definitely changed here. Was sunny for a fortnight solid, then Monday it’s gone to intermittent showers and the forecast has been all over the place.

60-70% chance of double rain drops, took a gilet. Had a little rain, enough for the tyre to be damp for 10 mins but no spray and never came to anything.

Hit up the hill reps, I’d like to say I’m a coaches dream but I don’t have one ;)

Three hill repeats riding it as part of a loop, 3:07 412w, 3:07 412w and 3:07 410w. I had a fourth in me but ran out of time.

Back
Top Bottom