• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New intel or amd... the choices

Associate
what CPU to buy....
ok so I've been waiting to upgrade my i5 3570k for a long time as you can see, I've always been a intel fan for many years and never bothered with amd. but with the new i9 basically being a big flop im really torn between buying a amd 5950x or 5900x. ive never overclocked amd processors so im not sure how much you can get from them or if its straight forward but off the bat the amd processors seem to be miles ahead on the charts right now.
i can wait for the new intel chips to drop at the end of the year but then your stuck in a never ending cycle of waiting. i also have some corsair ddr4 dominator ram which i won in a raffle a while ago that i can use but not if i wait for the new intel they will be ddr5.
im currently running 2 980ti sli which i will be upgrading to either a 3080ti or 3090 which ever i can get first really.
so the option is should i grab a new amd chip and be happy knowing ive got a power house or do i wait for what could possibly be another flop at the end of the year let alone the wait to actually nab one when or if it ever comes in stock going by the current situation....

Associate
OP
This, get the 12 core (5900X) if you're keeping it for a few years.

why not the 5950x? I know it’s a fair bit more expensive but do you really think I wouldn’t get any benefit from it?
I just don’t want to buy the wrong one and in a year regret not paying the extra, I’m going to keep it for a long time so I really don’t mind spending the extra if I will get use of it even if it’s maybe light use for the extra money. the last build was a long time ago but I had high spec stuff so it sort of lasted the time. I was very lucky with my i5 tho it run for years at 5ghz so I can’t complain

Caporegime
why not the 5950x? I know it’s a fair bit more expensive but do you really think I wouldn’t get any benefit from it?
I just don’t want to buy the wrong one and in a year regret not paying the extra, I’m going to keep it for a long time so I really don’t mind spending the extra if I will get use of it even if it’s maybe light use for the extra money. the last build was a long time ago but I had high spec stuff so it sort of lasted the time. I was very lucky with my i5 tho it run for years at 5ghz so I can’t complain

If you're not video encoding and just gaming there won't be any benefit from the extra cores in the imminent future. Even the 12 core would be overkill.

If you're not likely to upgrade for years then it's not a terrible idea.

Caporegime

6 is enough, 8 is good, 12 cores is enough for the next 5 years and 16 is overkill, its upto you, plenty of people round here with 16 core Ryzen systems and i'm sure they feel pretty damn good about it, if you have the money to spend on a complete monster overkill system then do it for those of us who can't :D

Soldato
I have unopened 5800x which I got for £307 and with 5900x currently at £500 was tempted but thinking it over my usage is gaming with general windows use so just gonna stick with 5800x also feel when more cores are beneficial in games in years ahead we'll have faster 12 core chips imo

Soldato
I have unopened 5800x which I got for £307 and with 5900x currently at £500 was tempted but thinking it over my usage is gaming with general windows use so just gonna stick with 5800x also feel when more cores are beneficial in games in years ahead we'll have faster 12 core chips imo
2nd or 3rd gen on next platforms should bring minimum 30-40%+ gains over current stuff so i would agree, late next year or 2023 should see nice uplifts.

Associate
OP
Going by what’s out at the moment then the 5950x is pretty much a crazy idea so between the 5900x and a i9 11900k, I know the 11900k has a bad rep at the moment but isn’t that due to the fact everyone was expecting more from them in all applications such as workloads but in game terms it’s on par with the 5900x.
Core wise I see games don’t optimise or utilise higher cores as of yet but soon they will be as most new chips seem to be increasing the count.

I plan on keeping it for a good few years so I want something that will keep up and not just be good value for money currently if that makes sense. Money isn’t an issue but obviously excess amounts isn’t going to be wasted if I can help it haha

Soldato
you should compare the i9 11900k with the 5800x its pretty much on per in gaming and it costs less, its got a bad rep is what they are charging for it

Soldato
I'd try and get a GPU first as there's not much point in upgrading till then and newer better CPUs maybe available at that point.

Associate
OP
The 11900K has 8 cores vs 12 on the 5900X, if you're just looking for an 8 core gaming CPU for an RTX 3090 the 5800X is the best you'll get.
I’m not so fixed on cores but I did like the idea of the 5900x having the 12 cores for when I’m not just gaming and I’m doing some coding etc and other projects.
Would the 5800x perform better in game with a 3090 or would a 5900x perform better? Cost wise it isn’t a big jump in price as apposed to the 5950x

Associate
OP
I'd try and get a GPU first as there's not much point in upgrading till then and newer better CPUs maybe available at that point.
Problem is they are never in stock and my luck I will get a new gpu and won’t be able to get the cpu and mobo in stock, I’d rather buy what’s available now then keep saving towards a 3090 when the one I want comes in stock

Soldato
Problem is they are never in stock and my luck I will get a new gpu and won’t be able to get the cpu and mobo in stock, I’d rather buy what’s available now then keep saving towards a 3090 when the one I want comes in stock
I doubt we'll see supply issues with CPUs now as supply seems to have overtaken demand atleast on the ryzen stuff with most retailers now having continuous stock since the middle of April.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom