Road Cycling

Soldato
Can't see the photo as I'm down in Berwick with absolutely horrific signal.

Shimano shifters just eat cables these days, doesn't seem to be an exact reason. I feel it's just because it's taking a 90 degree turn into the shifter and then round the shift mechanism so getting a fair twist on the go potentially unwinding the strands of the cable.

The supplied ferrule with the slot and nose on it could on theory make it last longer but I doubt it.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Did the spring reliability ride on Saturday 100K starting in Cannock then winding its way up and around the back end of Alton Towers... one word to describe it as GRIM, 20mins of hale stones that looked like Snow after.

Friend did it on his TT bike and cut to ribbons by the hale.... Luckily for me i hid in a bush shelter freezing my toes off.

4:25mins shocking time really but I did say it was grim :)

Soldato
Can't see the photo as I'm down in Berwick with absolutely horrific signal.

Shimano shifters just eat cables these days, doesn't seem to be an exact reason. I feel it's just because it's taking a 90 degree turn into the shifter and then round the shift mechanism so getting a fair twist on the go potentially unwinding the strands of the cable.

The supplied ferrule with the slot and nose on it could on theory make it last longer but I doubt it.
That sounds like a fun level of Internet service :D

It's just the cable guide vs old one. Nothing too fancy but hopefully it will prolong the next snap. I should really start logging the mileage again but it's ~2000 I think recently. Used to be closer to ~4000.

Do the newer shifters still eat cables? :( This is a 5800 but had the same with the similarly designed 6800.

Soldato
I've got di2 on the other bike. This bike won't fit di2 without some ghetto cabling :p

Though even with that I find the battery goes much quicker than I feel it should!

ETap would be tempting but guessing prices are pretty crazy at the moment.

Soldato
Sounds like time for a new bike then :p
While I wouldn't mind replacing it I still find it my most comfortable bike. I've got some Vitus thing with Tiagra but I can't get on with the ride quality (harsh over bumps) and the braking is awful... need to play with the TRP Spyres on it. The Cube is on something like 50k miles and looks worse for wear but still just about plods on!

In hindsight maybe I should have snapped up one of the spare frames from bike-discount a few years ago. They were selling them off at like 200EUR.

Soldato
I snapped up three cassettes last year when I saw them at semi reasonable price from Mantel. I've got the odd set of spare shifters/chainset etc which I guess I could sell on for profit but pretty sure I'll come to need them!

Soldato
It's ******* mental. We've got about 40 105 11-28 11 speeds when we would usually have 3 or 4 and order when they were used up. Same for 11-32 and other 8/9/10 speed cassettes.

No 105/ultegra rear mechs for a few months a s shifters are next year. I'll end up racing on my cheap bike :o

Soldato
I've got a load of cassettes I need to shift, been so lazy though and got some di2 bits I need to install that I got on the cheap last year, but not got the money to buy the derailleur now....

Soldato
Have to wonder somewhat where it is all going? Is it mostly one ride wonders? I'd say there are some more cyclists about but not quite to the level demand bike shops seem to report. I guess most of the bikes are sitting inside in the less than amazing weather!

Soldato
I can’t understand why the demand is so much higher than usual, cassettes and chains do last quite a while. Even for a keen rider you’d get 4-6 months out of one!

I changed all mine at the start of the year and expect them to last all year, new waxed chains and mostly ridden in the dry. I did buy 105 cassettes as the price was ballistic, but ponied up the extra on the chains (Red22 & Dura Ace).

Maybe have to change a chain on the summer bike as that sees the most use. Hopefully that gets me through to when it’s easier to get parts!

Soldato
I can’t understand why the demand is so much higher than usual, cassettes and chains do last quite a while. Even for a keen rider you’d get 4-6 months out of one!
Because "Look m8. It's gone past 0.5 on the chain checker! You'd better change the cassette too!"

(even though it's basically at 0.5 from new at least for SRAM PC1130)

Soldato
.75 for me bruh. Usually fine with that but some people wear the 11t sprocket lots resulting in skipping.

Actual park tool site says .5 I'm sure but most chains are that when new so who knows.

Demand is there and fear of running out. Madison are limiting to 10 per month and they've now sold out until end of this month so glad we bought a stack in.

Soldato
.75 for me bruh. Usually fine with that but some people wear the 11t sprocket lots resulting in skipping.

Actual park tool site says .5 I'm sure but most chains are that when new so who knows.
Yeah.. I change when the 0.75 is just starting to pop in with a bit of help, not necessarily on every link. Any time I've checked a new chain I can get the 0.5 end in.

Leave @Roady alone.... :cry:
He's been a little absent. Better prep the forum servers for a mega multi post!

Back
Top Bottom