wifi booster/extender - how does it work?

Soldato
hi guys

how does the wifi booster/extender work?

i have 4 Ring wifi cameras on the way, i think the front of my house will not have a great wifi signal as the wifi router is at the back upstairs.

before order a wifi booster/extender, how does it work? will it and the wifi router have the same SSID? or configure the camera to connect to the wifi booster with its own SSID?

thanks

Caporegime
Generally they have the same SSID and Password so your devices roam between them automatically depending on which device has the strongest signal.

Soldato
OP
Interesting thanks

I know some wireless devices would connect to the weaker one for no reason. I'm worried about losing the connection with the WiFi cameras.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting thanks

I know some wireless devices would connect not the weaker one for no reason. I'm worried about losing the connection with the WiFi cameras.

I'm on wired (main gaming PC) via powerline adaptors that has WiFi extender as well, when I connect my laptop (wireless) I prefer to use a new SSID and password, I can clone my SSID on the WiFi on my router SSID if I wish as well, anyway the WiFi extender on my powerline adaptors gives me three times faster speed connection then without using the WiFi extender on my powerline adaptor, they are in the same room as my laptop on top floor (third floor).

So I go wired from ground floor router to powerline adaptor, then wired to gaming PC on third floor via second powerline adaptor, and wireless for that adaptor as well to laptop via the built-in WifI extender, simple really.

I have it set up more then that really, since my powerline adaptor on third floor has three ethernet ports , so one to main gaming PC and one to my Linux PC, third to my eight port gigabit switch which allows me more wired connections like my Android TV, Kodi box etc...

Last edited:
Soldato
If you're going to use a WiFi extender remember it needs to sit part way between the main router and the dead spot, not where the deadspot is otherwise it won't have a strong enough signal to repeat/extend.

Soldato
I've never found extenders/boosters to be reliable, and for speed they're not that great.

If you're unable to run a cable to another access point closer to the cameras, you could maybe consider a mesh system instead, I found they do better speed/reliability wise, and these Ring cameras do demand a good connection.

Caporegime
hi guys

how does the wifi booster/extender work?

i have 4 Ring wifi cameras on the way, i think the front of my house will not have a great wifi signal as the wifi router is at the back upstairs.

before order a wifi booster/extender, how does it work? will it and the wifi router have the same SSID? or configure the camera to connect to the wifi booster with its own SSID?

thanks

You can have both. A MESH eneabled extending one one will automatically allow roaming and swap between the strongest signal. I upgraded to that when my router got the feature from a bios flash. I have TPLink, it works.. I cant say more than that.

You don't technically need that "roaming" if its just going to be for 4 wireless cameras.

Infact it might be better to keep them devices separate on their own little extension. you could name it something to reflect its use then just hide the SSID after.

Caporegime
On mine i can look in the Router administration software. http://192.168.0.1/ or there about.
TPlink also have apps and it will show all clients connected to each device amongst a million other things.
I suspect every decent home router manufacture to have the same if not better.

The roaming Mesh system will just offer the best signal to the device, but a static device.....doesn't really matter, whatever is closer or stronger.

Soldato
We use our motorhome for camping and to visit family. Many times the campgrounds don't have very strong wifi signals, so we've struggled to get good connections. When we travel to see family (over 1000 miles away), we boondock and often stay at Walmarts for 2-3 nights in a row. They have free wifi in the stores, but RVs usually park on the edge of their lots, so getting a signal is usually impossible. I bought this BearExtender wifi booster with the usual concerns that it wouldn't really work, but other reviews said they had good experiences with it. However, it works very well. Download speeds increased from less than 20 Mbps to 43 Mbps with no dropouts. Before, I could not reliably stream video; now it is rock solid.
Psst... This is an old thread

Back
Top Bottom