Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Guys, I phoned VM months ago, possibly about a year not sure, to cancel because they were charging me over £45pm and they called me and discounted me to £25. Last few months it increased slightly to £27.50 and my April bill said I was paying £17 less because of a couple of loyalty discounts. It said it ends 12th May. Today I got my usual 'your bill is ready' email for May and it's now gone back up to £45.50. Shall i just call them again and say I'm cancelling so they call me back to give me another discount, is there any limit to them discounting or would they just not want to lose a customer?

Man of Honour
Depends if you're out of contract or not, sounds like you might be so yeah just give you notice of cancellation and wait for the call back again.

Associate
Does anyone have any experience with Virgin's 1gb broadband service? It is available at the property I will be moving soon and I was wondering if it's worth. We are a family of 3 and although we stream from several devices at once, I think that, in theory, 500mb or even lower speeds would be enough, I think 1GB would future proof our connection and it will avoid me having to renew or check for improvements in speeds in the near future. Just wanted to see if anyone has experience with 1GB speed.s

Soldato
Depends if you're out of contract or not, sounds like you might be so yeah just give you notice of cancellation and wait for the call back again.

I'm glad you reminded me as I wasn't sure if I was out of contract so I've checked my emails. I'm on M100 fibre broadband and an email last october from VM said my contract ends 12th november 2020 after which my loyalty discount will end and will increase to £42. It's actually increased to £45.50, but still. They gave me a few months more of the discounted price though up until this month which was cool. But yeah, I'm out of contract now and will give my notice of cancellation.

I'm always worried about doing that in case they don't actually call me back. When I cancelled last time, after trying to persuade me to stay at a price I still wasn't happy with, he went ahead and put the cancellation in and told me I'd be cancelled after a given time, so I thought I wouldn't be getting a callback. But then the next day or maybe a couple of days later, I got a call offering me the discount.

Man of Honour
I'm glad you reminded me as I wasn't sure if I was out of contract so I've checked my emails. I'm on M100 fibre broadband and an email last october from VM said my contract ends 12th november 2020 after which my loyalty discount will end and will increase to £42. It's actually increased to £45.50, but still. They gave me a few months more of the discounted price though up until this month which was cool. But yeah, I'm out of contract now and will give my notice of cancellation.

I'm always worried about doing that in case they don't actually call me back. When I cancelled last time, after trying to persuade me to stay at a price I still wasn't happy with, he went ahead and put the cancellation in and told me I'd be cancelled after a given time, so I thought I wouldn't be getting a callback. But then the next day or maybe a couple of days later, I got a call offering me the discount.
Yeah thats the way to do it, if for any reason they don't call back you can always cancel the cancellation just before you get cut off and try again.

Soldato
Yeah thats the way to do it, if for any reason they don't call back you can always cancel the cancellation just before you get cut off and try again.

Yeah, I'll do that if they don't call me. What could I use though to strengthen my postion to get a discount? I don't game anymore so don't need ultra fast internet but I do like having the speed I have which is only about 115 Mbps, it's fast enough for me. Are there other fibre broadband companies doing that speed for around £25? Plusnet?

Associate
Yeah, I'll do that if they don't call me. What could I use though to strengthen my postion to get a discount? I don't game anymore so don't need ultra fast internet but I do like having the speed I have which is only about 115 Mbps, it's fast enough for me. Are there other fibre broadband companies doing that speed for around £25? Plusnet?
It depends on where you live. Other companies do offer similar speeds in some areas of the country but in others Virgin basically have a monopoly on ultra fast. If you go to the think broadband website there is a postcode checker that will tell you what suppliers are available to you and what speeds they can offer. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Man of Honour
When I've said I wanted to leave if they ask why I just said I couldn't afford it rather than trying to get into a conversation about competitors, which for me would be ~20mbit FTTC.

Soldato
It depends on where you live. Other companies do offer similar speeds in some areas of the country but in others Virgin basically have a monopoly on ultra fast. If you go to the think broadband website there is a postcode checker that will tell you what suppliers are available to you and what speeds they can offer. https://www.thinkbroadband.com/

I haven't been to thinkbroadband for years. Thanks for reminding me, I'll go check it out.

When I've said I wanted to leave if they ask why I just said I couldn't afford it rather than trying to get into a conversation about competitors, which for me would be ~20mbit FTTC.

I think that's a good idea, I'll simply say that.

Soldato
Phoned VM just now, spoke to a female, offered me £39, then £32. I said no thanks, I'm simply not going above the £25 I've had for the last 18 months. She said the £25 was for two loyalty discounts I've had and there's nothing in her system that will let her go lower than £32.

So I said no problem, I'll have to cancel and she said she'll put me through to the disconnection team. Minute later a colleague of hers came on the phone and offered me a new 18 month contract at £25 pm. :D

Interestingly she said next time to call them 30 days in advance and I would have got the £25 with less hassle or words to that effect. So it's like she's giving the game away and telling me I'll always get the reduction I want. Anyway, result!

Soldato
So anyone here have an issue where putting their SH3 into modem only mode, you don't get any internet connection?
I know all ports other than port 1 is disabled when in Modem mode, So obviously that's the port I'm plugged in but still no internet, When i return the SH3 into normal mode internet connection!

Associate
So anyone here have an issue where putting their SH3 into modem only mode, you don't get any internet connection?
I know all ports other than port 1 is disabled when in Modem mode, So obviously that's the port I'm plugged in but still no internet, When i return the SH3 into normal mode internet connection!

When you switch modes - wait a few minutes, then power the SH3 off for over 60 seconds - plug it into your routers WAN port and switch it back on. Make sure your router is set to DHCP on the WAN side and it should work first time.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
How are Virgin Media these days? Had Virgin Media broadband some years back. And it was terrible. Constantly on the phone to them trying to sort broadband out. Reducing speed every evening so they can cater for others. Pings spiking and soo many other issues. And customer service was terrible.

My Plusnet deals coming to an end soon. And it's been rock solid for the last 18months. Was with BT for 3 years too. That's 4.5 years I've had no problems what so ever.

My question is: Have Virgin Media improved or are they still the same as before?

Soldato
I’m in an area that was cabled up under ‘Project Lightening’ I get approx 590 Mbps, I think that we also benefit from being able to get FTTC and there are plenty of LLU suppliers meaning all the areas broadband eggs aren’t in one basket.

The upshot is that in approx 18 months it’s been pretty much bullet proof, I’m not an online gamer so for me download/upload is key, not too worried about latency.

The one time it did break I didn’t even try ring support to avoid frustration, it was a problem in one of the cabinets and was fixed with about 8 hours.

Associate
Does anyone have any experience with Virgin's 1gb broadband service? It is available at the property I will be moving soon and I was wondering if it's worth. We are a family of 3 and although we stream from several devices at once, I think that, in theory, 500mb or even lower speeds would be enough, I think 1GB would future proof our connection and it will avoid me having to renew or check for improvements in speeds in the near future. Just wanted to see if anyone has experience with 1GB speed.s

Anyone? it looks like Virgin will be my only serious option and I am interested in feedback from people on the 1gb speed.

Associate
Anyone? it looks like Virgin will be my only serious option and I am interested in feedback from people on the 1gb speed.
Virgin are great in areas where they are not over subscribed and struggle with overloaded network at peak times. You will only know if this is a problem where you are once you sign up with them.

Soldato
You could look back at the 200+ pages.

As already said. It's area dependant.

I've been with virgin about 6 years and it's been great. Unfortunately I can't get 1gig but I've always had the top package for my area (m500 now)

Soldato

Order the service, if it doesn't perform well you have 14 days to cancel

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...l-broadband-m-14-day-cooling-period-Help.html

'The whole point of a cooling-off period is to allow consumers the chance to try something out before committing to it – such as a new broadband or TV service.'

'The cooling-off period starts from the point at which the broadband is connected, under consumer law which is laid out in the Consumer Contracts Regulations.'

When taking out the service you can be completely upfront and ask the Virgin Rep. about cancellation if you're not happy with the service, all the calls are recorded.

HEADRAT

Back
Top Bottom