Plastering skim job.. Quote seems high

Caporegime
Got my first quote. And I have to say it seems high to me. But maybe it isn't.

I'll add a few pics. But the quote for this was 350 (he didn't come round)

I don't think it will take a day. But even with a day rate of 200 (which is what I've read is on the high side) this price seems excessive.

Just the walls on this.. Wallpaper is removed

CUJFM2N.jpg

All of this except the purple wall top middle and left including small patch of ceiling

oprkzgP.jpg

I was expecting (hoping) for 100 less than the quote

Soldato
Seems like quite a lot of wall to do. I paid 100 quid a few years ago just for a ceiling skimmed, yours looks like a lot more work. I suspect it will be slow work due to it being narrow and not a wide room.

Soldato
Lots of corners, tight space, skimming over artex. Possible wall prep depending on the how the wallpaper glue comes off. Days works for 2 people inc materials doesn't sound bad.

Soldato
Days works for 2 people inc materials doesn't sound bad.

When you look at it like that it always seems much more reasonable.

I think people forget that you're paying people's pre-tax rate, costs of doing business etc etc. With all that in, £350 isn't a lot.

Soldato
Yeah seems fair to me. We paid £700 for hallway, stairs, landing and a small 2m x 2m box room but it was 4 young lads who came in and blitzed it in a day.

The quotes for single / 2 plasterers were £1100+ so £350 for that seems about right.

As said, the angles and tight spaces of a hallway will always add cost as they tend to take longer to do properly.

Soldato
Having had about 5 rooms + hallways plastered in the last 12 months by someone very good and honest I'd say £350 is about right for that. £200 is a fair rate for a decent plasterer and then they'll be a bit of materials. I suspect looking at it that it would be just a bit more than a day which is why it's £350 (£200 for 1 day, £50 for materials and then £100 to either extend the single day by a few hours or come back the next day / start the afternoon before with prep).

Not coming round is a bit odd though, unless he's seen a few decent photos how does he know they walls are blown / need bonding / loads of extra prep?

Soldato
Not coming round is a bit odd though, unless he's seen a few decent photos how does he know they walls are blown / need bonding / loads of extra prep?

This is a fair point, remember that if he just skims a blown wall it'll look great until after he's left /been painted then it'll show all the cracks again

Man of Honour
If it wasn't your front door area I'd say give it a go yourself, it's actually a fun job once you're confident enough on the theory. Decent hawk, rigid trowel, and a speedskim and you'd be surprised how well it can come out for a non-pro... that being said I did have to use a bit of red devil filler to get it perfectly smooth.

£350 is a good price too for that area.

Back
Top Bottom