Google Pixel 5

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I think if you root it you will run into trouble with sky / bank apps for sure.
I'm tired of looking at workarounds and lately finding more and more annoyances with my phone whereas my GF's iPhone just works...

I've been a fan of android for so many years, but can see why people prefer iOS, it just works and does what you need.

Soldato
I'm tired of looking at workarounds and lately finding more and more annoyances with my phone whereas my GF's iPhone just works...

I've been a fan of android for so many years, but can see why people prefer iOS, it just works and does what you need.
Can iPhones use ethernet either?

Can't imagine a reason you'd need to? There just be an incredibly small number of people using that option so it's not surprising if they don't support it anymore.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Blimey. May I ask the reason for using ethernet on a phone as the only thing I can think of is for a consistent connection for online gaming?
There's too many reasons to list them all... I use to use my old phone at work all the time, as I couldn't be bothered with carrying my laptop around the cramped server room. Connected my phone to the rasspberry pi, used it to connect it to my car as wired is so much faster than wireless.

Just few examples from the top of my head...

IC3

IC3

Soldato
For me, none of those are reasons not to use wireless. Also, sorry, you used to connect your phone to your car with an ethernet cable?
To code a few things on the fly, when I don't have my laptop yes. :D

I don't see the point of all these questions though, its a really simple function that should be there by default really... It's not subnetting on IPV6, just want to set Static IP on eth0. That's all...

Soldato
I think the point is, it's not a really simple function that people want though... and the questions, for me, are because I don't understand it at all. What can has an ethernet port? Why would it have an ethernet port? What phone has an ethernet port? I guess I'm missing something, but that is why the questions... because I'm so confused :cry:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Hence why I don't want to go into too much detail, as I'll be flooded with questions relating to it...

I might look into switching the Pixel 5 for something else, it doesn't deserve the hype it had before the release.

Soldato
I think it did... Considering its price point a lot of us also got £200 pair of Bose headphones.

And sorry using a ethernet in your car is not wired and no way that would make a blind bit of difference while you drive around in and out of signal.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
It not just this, there're a few other annoyances, I had with my Pixel that other phones supported out of the box...

Soldato
I just got a Pixel 5 this week. I would have waited for the Pixel 6 but my Galaxy S10 had a smashed screen and unfortunately was beyond usable.

I only really use my phone for basic stuff, calling, WhatsApp, Reddit, YouTube etc. I don't play games on it. I also wanted a good camera.

So far, I absolutely love it. The camera is amazing. My only gripe so far is the speakers and audio call quality is noticeably worse than my S10, but very happy with everything else.

Soldato
Yeah call audio is for normal calls. Since working from home I constantly use jabra buds for calls so rarely use the phone in the standard way. I hope it is addressed in the pixel 6. Under glass speakers are properly not the way to go.

Last edited:
Agreed. It's one of the few changes I'd like to see.

Better top speaker, better bottom speakers, behind screen cam (maybe this is just for me though, but I've never once used the front cam) and what else? I originally wanted an XL size this year but atm I'm OK with this smaller size.

Associate
I actually like the top speaker because it also used as the earpiece.

Its much much better compared to my previous Nokia phones with a much "fuller" sound.

Back
Top Bottom