Handbrake / Sloped Driveway Issue

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Guys, I've got an issue with my handbrake ('05 Mini).

It had gotten quite loose so I had it tightened and it was all peachy until I parked it on my drive for the day and it's become loose again.

My drive is sloped so I'm assuming that's the reason as it was tight before I parked it. I pull it quite high as if I nudged my car slightly it rolled backwards a little.

What's the solution? Park with the rear at the top of the slope instead of the front? Leave it in gear (or will that wear something more expensive)? Upgrade the shoe?

Any help appreciated :)

Permabanned
No and anyone leaving a car on a slop with only the handbrake holding it is asking for trouble (I thought it was common knowledge/sense to leave it in a low gear).

Also if you live on the flat and are going way for weeks (hols/work etc), leaving the handbrake off can help prevent it sticking on.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Nope won't cause any extra wear or anything.
Perfect, cheers :)

No and anyone leaving a car on a slop with only the handbrake holding it is asking for trouble (I thought it was common knowledge/sense to leave it in a low gear).

Also if you live on the flat and are going way for weeks (hols/work etc), leaving the handbrake off can help prevent it sticking on.
Never had any issues with the bimmas, just assumed it's because this is an old mini.

Just remember it's in gear when you start it or else you'll get a surprise :D
Haha oh yes... this is gonna be fun!

So if I get the handbrake tightened again and start leaving it in gear I won't need to pull the handbrake as high will I?

Soldato
Just remember it's in gear when you start it or else you'll get a surprise :D
Has it not been standard that you can't start a car in gear for years now. I can't remember the last car I had that you could start without pressing the clutch.

We live on a really steep hill, electronic handbrakes have been a godsend. But have always left my cars with the wheel turned to the curb and in gear, I thought that was just basic car knowledge.

Soldato
Has it not been standard that you can't start a car in gear for years now. I can't remember the last car I had that you could start without pressing the clutch.

We live on a really steep hill, electronic handbrakes have been a godsend. But have always left my cars with the wheel turned to the curb and in gear, I thought that was just basic car knowledge.
A lot have that, but it won't stop someone forgetting it's in gear. If it anything it just slightly delays the jolt forwards :p

You're probably at the stage either your rear drums need a service or your cable needs swapping. Tightening the cable is a hiding to nowhere if it is stretched.

Man of Honour

Doesn't stop me releasing the clutch once I've fired it up and jolting forward once in a blue moon :o

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
But have always left my cars with the wheel turned to the curb and in gear, I thought that was just basic car knowledge.
I park it on my driveway so no curb to aim for.

Buy/make yourself a couple of sets of chocks as well - just in case you're going to be leaving it there for any length of time.
It's no worries if it rolls down, nothing for it to hit - it was more the issue with the handbrake getting loose.

My mum knocked over the postman once when she started her car in gear as he was walking in front of it. He wasn't very happy to say the least.
Haha oh no! I park forward so will end up in the living room :(

You're probably at the stage either your rear drums need a service or your cable needs swapping. Tightening the cable is a hiding to nowhere if it is stretched.
Ah ok, I suspected it might be something with the car itself so I'll book it in and get them to take a look. Thanks :)

Man of Honour
Are you yanking the hand brake up a long way/as far as it will go? (as is instinct to do on a slope) as apparently that makes no difference to how hard the brakes hold and can cause stretching in the cable which can result in it loosening over time or something - can only go on what people have said for that one as I don't know much about it myself.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Not initially, but started too as the car would roll when I lean into the back seat. It doesn't when I pull it high, not sure if something is worn or just the way an older car is.

Man of Honour
Get an automatic :s mine barely shifts in park on a steep hill even without the handbrake (though I always use the handbrake - as much out of being used to doing it as anything).

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Get an automatic :s mine barely shifts in park on a steep hill even without the handbrake (though I always use the handbrake - as much out of being used to doing it as anything).
Yeh nah the BMWs don't have an issue, just seems to be this mini :confused: I think dLockers might be right

Back
Top Bottom