What film did you watch last night?

Man of Honour
The Djinn

I imagined it would end up being like Ring/The Grudge but actually it was far less scary/jumpy. Overall a 6/10 I'd say because the kid actor pulled off the scared kid but also has some fight to give aura quite well. WHole movie set in one apartment too.

Soldato
The Client.

Enjoyed the film, but for the menace. The sinister bad guys played more comic relief, there should have been far more tension and jeopardy. I saw John Grisham and hoped it'd be something like the firm, one of my all time favourites, and certainly a film that ticks the sinister element box.

Liked the lead actors performances and how the film wrapped up, solid film.

Permabanned
The Djinn

I imagined it would end up being like Ring/The Grudge but actually it was far less scary/jumpy. Overall a 6/10 I'd say because the kid actor pulled off the scared kid but also has some fight to give aura quite well. WHole movie set in one apartment too.
Djinn has put me off since the bum scene in American gods

Associate
Oxygen 6.8/10
Pretty good French scifi film. Keeps you on the edge of your seat and guessing what is going on. One of the better recent films.

Watched it last night, enjoyed it, had it on with subtitles, hate voice overs (like the Narcos series, would rather read the text and keep the language as the original actors tongue).

Soldato
Those Who Wish Me Dead - 6/10

Not a bad little action movie, the effects for the fires are particularly good because at one point I swear my room got a little warmer. And God knows what she's on, but Angelina Jolie is hotter in this (no pun intended) than she was way back when in Tomb Raider.

Soldato
Together Together - 7/10

Just a nice movie... "When a young loner becomes the gestational surrogate for a single man in his 40s, the two strangers come to realize this unexpected relationship will challenge their perceptions of connection, boundaries and the particulars of love."

Ended a little abrupt for me, but it would almost need a second movie to explore what their relationship might be like after the baby.

Man of Honour
Those Who Wish Me Dead - 6/10

Not a bad little action movie, the effects for the fires are particularly good because at one point I swear my room got a little warmer. And God knows what she's on, but Angelina Jolie is hotter in this (no pun intended) than she was way back when in Tomb Raider.

Saw this last night too, also thought it was good!

Man of Honour
Predator

The original one in the jungle. Ultimately fun although extraordinarily silly too, with some one liners and shots being so overly-macho I’m not sure whether to be laugh with or at the film. The most ridiculous line obviously being: “I ain’t got time to bleed.”

This sort of film couldn’t be made today as people would be critiquing it to the ‘nth’ degree due to ‘terrible writing’ or whatever, but as a piece of entertainment it passes.

Three things stood out to me:

1) the soundtrack is generally absolutely ridiculous, especially when they are moving through the jungle.

2) there is actually very little lore given to the Predator other than he is there to collect trophies.

3) the showdown section with just Arnie vs the Predator is quite long and slow (probably my least favourite part of the film).

7/10

Last edited:
Caporegime
Watched it last night, enjoyed it, had it on with subtitles, hate voice overs (like the Narcos series, would rather read the text and keep the language as the original actors tongue).

I actually switched on dubbing at one point to see what it sounds like, the computer sounds completely different. I was so surprised.

Soldato
Predator

The original one in the jungle. Ultimately fun although extraordinarily silly too, with some one liners and shots being so overly-macho I’m not sure whether to be laugh with or at the film. The most ridiculous line obviously being: “I ain’t got time to bleed.”

This sort of film couldn’t be made today as people would be critiquing it to the ‘nth’ degree due to ‘terrible writing’ or whatever, but as a piece of entertainment it passes.

Three things stood out to me:

1) the soundtrack generally is generally absolutely ridiculous, especially when they are moving through the jungle.

2) there is actually very little lore given to the Predator other than he is there to collect trophies.

3) the showdown section with just Arnie vs the Predator is quite long and slow (probably my least favourite part of the film).

7/10

Predator is a stone cold classic, I rewatched it last week as well.

Sure it's an arnie film with ridiculously buff Team USA psychos being gruff and delivering some cheesy lines....but it's a great film as well. The pacing, the music, the sense of the oppressiveness of the jungle, the ramping up of the uneasiness as they realise they're being stalked by something.

Easily an 8.5 for me, possibly 9. Only let down a little by the last scene going on a bit long.

Caporegime
Predator is a stone cold classic, I rewatched it last week as well.

Sure it's an arnie film with ridiculously buff Team USA psychos being gruff and delivering some cheesy lines....but it's a great film as well. The pacing, the music, the sense of the oppressiveness of the jungle, the ramping up of the uneasiness as they realise they're being stalked by something.

Easily an 8.5 for me, possibly 9. Only let down a little by the last scene going on a bit long.

The behind the scenes for this film is just as good. They were essentially all on a massive workout competition binge to out do each other!

Soldato
Nobody - 7/10

Enjoyable enough, if you just accept it. Home Alone meets John Wick...
I watched this at the weekend and I'd go up to an 8. I really enjoyed it. I thought the action was well done but at the same time the story had enough about it to keep you interested. Really good watch for me. I knew it was going to be action type, so going in with that and it really didn't disappoint. Solid film with a thoroughly decent job from Saul as the main guy.

Permabanned
Love and Monsters

I know some found it charming but it didn't gel with me at all. Felt quite contemptuous of it towards the end in fact. Just so dull and uninspired.

Soldato
I watched this at the weekend and I'd go up to an 8. I really enjoyed it. I thought the action was well done but at the same time the story had enough about it to keep you interested. Really good watch for me. I knew it was going to be action type, so going in with that and it really didn't disappoint. Solid film with a thoroughly decent job from Saul as the main guy.
Agree with the 8 on this one, seemed to get a little daft near the end but I still enjoyed it.

Caporegime
Tenet - 6.5/10

Well directed and wonderfully shot as expected from Nolan, but came away with the same feeling as I did from Inception.

On the surface it seems clever etc, but when you really think about it, it's just a load of contrived *****.

Also, why was no one even the slightest bit amazed when hearing about the inverted stuff for the first time? Everyone was just like "oh right...anyway".

Also, the audio mixing was atrocious. The balance between music,sound effects and dialogue was just stupid.

Entertaining to watch nonetheless, hence the 6.5.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oxygen 3/10
I didn't get along with this movie, found it very dull. It's watching a whiny woman trapped in a box for 1 hour and 40 minutes....there isn't enough material to fill out 30 minutes so well played for making over run for so long.

They did this much better job with this **** in a box thing with Buried
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1462758/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom