Sasha Johnson shot in the head?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Never understood that defund the police bit.

If we defunded them, what would we do for law and order in the UK?
That's not what defund the police means.

It doesn't mean not funding them at all, it means stopping supplying the police with excess military hardware and divesting some of funding to support social initiatives (jobs, housing, youth work, drug addiction programmes) that would have a greater effect in reducing crime.

But that paragraph isn't as catchy, so you get "defund the police".

Soldato
Although I don't agree with the shot in the head bit, I think it slightly naive of her to post things like she has on social media and not expect some backlash.

Also. What kind of a protest goes on at 3am? An anti sleep one?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

UK police are nothing like US police, it is just a stupid slogan used by people who have no idea what they are talking about.
No, the intent behind the slogan is reasonable (and a good idea IMHO), it's people who don't understand what the term means that have no idea what they are talking about.

The Tories already tried defunding the police in 2010. They however forgot the "invest in social services" counter balance.

Soldato
Be interesting to see what the police uncover. A white culprit and all hell wil break loose, a black culprit or dodgy dealings and it will all go very quiet.

Man of Honour
Never understood that defund the police bit.

If we defunded them, what would we do for law and order in the UK?
Take a look at the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone last year. It was an automomous area setup in Seattle and police strongly discouraged from entering by the peaceful protestors. It was a rip roaring success with absolutely no crime, especially any shootings.

Oh wait...

Soldato
Be interesting to see what the police uncover. A white culprit and all hell wil break loose, a black culprit or dodgy dealings and it will all go very quiet.
Yeah that was my thinking. Possibly NF or similar but if not, it'll get a much lower profile. Someone must have seen something, surprised there's nothing with a description on twitter.

London is just mental now - grim that this kind of thing is happening, targetted or not.

Soldato
No, the intent behind the slogan is reasonable (and a good idea IMHO), it's people who don't understand what the term means that have no idea what they are talking about.
Well when you say it means something other than what it's actually saying can you blame them?

"Defund the police" is a pretty clear statement. And you're saying actually they want to change the way the money is spent. They're not even close to the same thing.

Man of Honour
Well when you say it means something other than what it's actually saying can you blame them?

"Defund the police" is a pretty clear statement. And you're saying actually they want to change the way the money is spent. They're not even close to the same thing.
Exactly. "Police funding reform" would be a movement I think many of us could get behind. "Defund the police" not so much.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Exactly. "Police funding reform" would be a movement I think many of us could get behind. "Defund the police" not so much.
Hey, I'm not saying whether it's the right approach or not, I'm simply explaining what the term actually means and what the motives behind it are. I can't control if people keep themselves properly informed or not.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Yeah that was my thinking. Possibly NF or similar but if not, it'll get a much lower profile. Someone must have seen something, surprised there's nothing with a description on twitter.

London is just mental now - grim that this kind of thing is happening, targetted or not.

They are already predicting riots in London tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom