What film did you watch last night?

Associate
I attempted to watch the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot from 2019 just put on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Wow...

Damn...

With Bob being silent, the Jay and Silent Bob act puts a HUGE burden on Jason Mewes to do his little acts and gimmicks and play up for the camera and try to be all juvenile and funny - something he could just about still pull off in Jay and Silent Bob movie in the year 2000 or so when he was about 30.

The problem is he's now pushing 50 and decades of hard drug abuse have turned him into a thoroughly creepy looking, drug ravaged individual, complete with gaunt face, meth mouth and giant set of ridiculously fake choppers that just serve to enhance his meth mouth. Mewes claims to have been drug free for a decade - I don't believe him based on this performance, he looks all dry mouthed and pharmaceutical drug high through the whole thing. He now has all the star quality of a homeless spice head plucked from the streets of Manchester.

It makes even more a mockery of the friendly stoner vibe of the movie when one them is clearly ravaged from the effects of much harder drugs. (Mewes was an opitate addict, not meth, but still got the bigtime meth mouth.) Both Cheech and Chong have more natural joy in their eyes in their 80s than Jay does here as a much younger man. You can see the very sad after effects of hard drug abuse in Jay.

It's worth turning off within seconds of it starting when Mewes goes almost nude with another skit that might have been funny when he was 20, but is just gross and sad at his age and the terrible shape he's in, but I made it half an hour until Kev introduces his annoying, untalented kid into the movie. She doesn't have any star quality at all, but gets a big role in this movie pure nepotism. I skipped all through the rest in about 10 mins, it's 2 hours long as well. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back from 2000 had its own problems but it's so much better than this, it's actually sad comparing the two.

I've watched and enjoyed some of Kevin Smith's films before, going all the way back to Clerks, I know all the in jokes and lore, I was ready to give it a real chance. This reboot is utterly terrible, worse than Jersey Girl, Kevin Smith has made some terrible movies and some pretty OK ones, this is truly terrible, maybe his worst ever. Truly risible and depressing to see what happened to Jay.

Man of Honour
“The Trust”, Nicolas Cage and Elijah Wood, one hooky cop inveigles a young cop to assist him in knocking over a drug dealer’s Fort Knox like safety deposit room.
My advice? Purely on a personal assessment, give it an extremely wide berth, total merde.

Man of Honour
Nightcrawler (2014)

Second time I've seen this now after watching it on its original release.

Jake Gyllenhaal absolutely nails his performance and is totally convincing as Louis Bloom.

Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

9/10

Caporegime
Nightcrawler (2014)

Second time I've seen this now after watching it on its original release.

Jake Gyllenhaal absolutely nails his performance and is totally convincing as Louis Bloom.

Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

9/10

I saw this recently and also enjoyed it a lot. Highly recommended.

Man of Honour
I watched a couple of horror films that I could vaguely recall from my teenage years. They both turned out to be made by ‘Dark Castle’ productions... which should have rang alarm bells based on the horrendous video game of the same name!

Both are somewhat notable for having really good elements visually but dropping the ball hard elsewhere.

It’s a shame that more ‘fun horrors’ aren’t released now.

The House on Haunted Hill (1999)

I watched this to show my wife the hilarious roller coaster section, which is just too funny.

Otherwise, there are some really fun bits of this film mixed with horrible, horrible execution. I really liked the ultra camp ‘villains’ and their wholly comic book dialogue. There were also some interesting visuals from time to time. But, otherwise it was an absolute mess. The whole ‘evil doctor’ storyline and murders was seemingly dropped for a random ‘grey ghost blob’ without really any explanation. There was so much aimless wondering around with flashlights... my god.

Really quite terrible with fun sections. Watchable if you are up for something ‘bad’.

4.5/10

Thirteen Ghosts (2001)

In many ways similar to the above. Some really great sets in this one with some really dumb / goofy ghost designs... some humour in the shallow as a puddle cast but then just emptiness beneath it all and one of the most ridiculous ‘nothing’ endings I have seen in memory (the baddy is defeated by some DJ scratching) and the lead character doing... nothing. More aimless infuriating corridor meandering... but a little more bearable this time.

5/10

Caporegime
Thirteen Ghosts (2001)

In many ways similar to the above. Some really great sets in this one with some really dumb / goofy ghost designs... some humour in the shallow as a puddle cast but then just emptiness beneath it all and one of the most ridiculous ‘nothing’ endings I have seen in memory (the baddy is defeated by some DJ scratching) and the lead character doing... nothing. More aimless infuriating corridor meandering... but a little more bearable this time.

5/10

I do however commend them for creating actual lore for all the ghosts.

https://13ghosts.fandom.com/wiki/Black_Zodiac#The_Thirteen_Ghosts

Soldato
Tenet - 6.5/10

Well directed and wonderfully shot as expected from Nolan, but came away with the same feeling as I did from Inception.

On the surface it seems clever etc, but when you really think about it, it's just a load of contrived *****.

Also, why was no one even the slightest bit amazed when hearing about the inverted stuff for the first time? Everyone was just like "oh right...anyway".

Also, the audio mixing was atrocious. The balance between music,sound effects and dialogue was just stupid.

Entertaining to watch nonetheless, hence the 6.5.

Tend to agree with this - watchable film but found the plot very hard to follow. I found it so confusing that I almost gave up on it half way through...

Soldato
My Fair Lady (1964)

What a nice change of pace. First watch of this musical classic and it didn't disappoint. Loved the vintage setting, acting, wardrobe and voices. A superb performance by Rex Harrison.

Watched on 4K BLURAY. WOW is an understatement, it's almost 3D! One of the absolute best transfers, in the same league as Jaws and Apocalypse Now. The picture is absolutely lush and it's a major reason why I enjoyed watching the film.

Soldato
Wrath of Man

6/10

It was alright and enjoyed certain parts, but did find it a little slow and was expecting more action. Statham playing the part he always plays but does a ok job at it.

Liked the Johnny Cash soundtrack bit in the film

Man of Honour
Matchstick Men (2003)

Nicolas Cage and Sam Rockwell play a couple of con artists scamming people in Los Angeles. A bit of a dark comedy directed by Ridley Scott.

Cage is well cast as Rockwell's partner and mentor with OCD. Who's life is turned upside down when he looses his meds down the sink and then finds out he has a 14 year old daughter who wants to meet him for the first time.

Sam Rockwell is always a pleasure to watch and the film is just one of those that's easily overlooked but deserves to be seen.

I would've also said that the young actress playing the daughter was fantastic, but she was 24 at the time and so not quite as impressive. But still good.

8/10

Soldato
Wrath of Man 6.5/10.

Better than i thought it would be. Also seemed a bit strange that we were kept guessing on the insider and the heist team, only for it to be shoved in our faces all at once. It went a bit downhill and predictable from there, but the final heist was pretty cool.

Josh Hartnett was wasted as was Niamh Algar (she was great in Raised by Wolves!)

Associate
Wrath of Man 6.5/10.

Better than i thought it would be. Also seemed a bit strange that we were kept guessing on the insider and the heist team, only for it to be shoved in our faces all at once. It went a bit downhill and predictable from there, but the final heist was pretty cool.

Josh Hartnett was wasted as was Niamh Algar (she was great in Raised by Wolves!)

I honestly thought it was a 9/10, really enjoyed it how it all panned out and the direction.

She was also great in The Virtues, with Stephen Graham, highly recommend watching it if you haven't. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7186126/

Back
Top Bottom