*** GB News *** (stay on topic!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
'I am easily offended therefore everything I find offensive must be banned'.
I don’t think GB news should be banned but I will avoid using companies that advertise on the Channel thus supporting it because I don’t want my money to be used to fund misinformation and hatred. Not supporting something is not the same as wanting something banned if a brand chooses to align themselves with GB News then that is their choice but they should expect customers to react accordingly, I won’t buy a football shirt with a betting company or pay day loan sponsor doesn’t mean I want football banned!

Soldato
Literally heard people like Pritti Patel discussing it AFTER Nigel had began reporting on it, so it gave the IMPRESSION that they were doing something about it now.

Articles saying they were working with the French government to stop people being dumped across the channel.

So yes stuff is being done now, it maybe still isn't enough but they are at least doing something about it.

Maybe people need to talk about these things more.
Keep Digging it is funny, Nigel’s nasty little
videos may have appealed to his base but this was on the agenda long before his involvement and literally nothing has changed. We talk tough and ‘work’ with the French and the boats keep coming I believe in record numbers so far this year. What’s to talk about, giant wave machines perhaps or do you have a serious point to make about immigration?

Soldato
Society changes, what is "normal" changes, what is "acceptable" changes. Not liking the changes is OK too. But it's not new and it's not "leftist" or "rightist". It's just change.

Am I happy that the word "gay" is no longer "wildly happy"?
Am I happy that "literally" literally no longer means literally?
Or that "sick" now means "cool"?
Or that "N-word" is no longer acceptable? Or "honky"? (Meaning some of my favourite music can't be played in public - If there's hell below by Curtis Mayfield)
Or that I used to smoke in an office and in restaurants?

Do I now need to ask someone how I should address them before I do?

Is it worth getting excited by? To get all hot and bothered because someone you've never heard of asks to be considered as polyamorous or asexual or polysexual and called they/them?

So much faux outrage. Get a life. Live your own.

Caporegime
Society changes, what is "normal" changes, what is "acceptable" changes. Not liking the changes is OK too. But it's not new and it's not "leftist" or "rightist". It's just change.

Am I happy that the word "gay" is no longer "wildly happy"?
Am I happy that "literally" literally no longer means literally?
Or that "sick" now means "cool"?
Or that "N-word" is no longer acceptable? Or "honky"? (Meaning some of my favourite music can't be played in public - If there's hell below by Curtis Mayfield)
Or that I used to smoke in an office and in restaurants?

Do I now need to ask someone how I should address them before I do?

Is it worth getting excited by? To get all hot and bothered because someone you've never heard of asks to be considered as polyamorous or asexual or polysexual and called they/them?

So much faux outrage. Get a life. Live your own.

Plus it never seems to directly affect the people that complain about it endlessly.

I've never even met somebody that preferred they/them pronouns. If they wanted me to address them that way it wouldn't be a problem though.

Soldato
Soldato
I've actually had people get mad over my use of this online and always coming up with 'DO YOU MEAN FIGURATIVELY?'.

No, I mean literally used as figuratively for added emphasis, as I have heard it used, actually on the TV all the time when I did watch it throughout my childhood.

I remember looking into it, and such use of the word dates back to around 1600 in novels.

There is a subtle difference in tone when 'literally' is used in either of its forms, its easy to tell them apart in spoken English, impossible to do so when written as such online. But then it gets used as such in books so its fine to use it as figuratively.

OK, looked into this and it ("literally") has been used as an intensifier since at least 1769. Harrumph! I shall continue to be offended!

Or alternatively, change my opinion now that I have facts that contradict my almighty ego and move on... There, that wasn't hard, was it?

Soldato
seems she wrote to the companies demanding they be more responsible over glamourising the crossings. Seems reasonable. Or are you saying she's trying to suppress news in this country to make the Government look better? Two very different interpretations of the story...

It's easy to read between the lines.

The videos have been on twitter\bbc\facebook for years.
But she never done anything.

But now she can't stop the flow, she is trying to cover up the numbers.

Soldato
Associate
Plus it never seems to directly affect the people that complain about it endlessly.

I've never even met somebody that preferred they/them pronouns. If they wanted me to address them that way it wouldn't be a problem though.

On this point the whole 'they / them' pronouns is mostly another American trend and isn't as popular or contested in the UK. As I believed you mentioned earlier, you don't really meet many trans people in the UK in the first place, and there are even fewer people identifying as non binary, and even fewer of those that will actually get mad over being called the wrong pronouns.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fired for using the wrong pronouns? I actually think I remember some teacher was sacked for saying 'well done girls' when one of the pupils was trans, and the teacher simply didn't know / just used normal language.

On which point if it isn't supposed to matter what gender someone identifies as, why does it matter what pronoun is used so long as it clearly isn't being used maliciously?

Piers Morgan actually used to make a great point when debating these issues, but at this point its like beating a dead horse because no one wants to listen and cancel culture just wants to continue ruining everyone's life.

Caporegime
Has anyone in the UK actually been fired for using the wrong pronouns? I actually think I remember some teacher was sacked for saying 'well done girls' when one of the pupils was trans, and the teacher simply didn't know / just used normal language.

We have employment law protections in the UK.

In the US you can pretty much sack anybody you want for no reason.

Sometimes our laws are a bit too in favour of the employee, but I'd rather that than the awful American system.

Soldato
cancel culture just wants to continue ruining everyone's life.

Who is this "cancel culture" you speak of? Is that its intention? Whoever it is? or is it a simple evolution of society's mores to pay more attention to how others wish to be perceived?

Seems to me that what people mean when they complain about "cancel culture" is actually "acceptance culture" and the complainers object if they get told off for being unwilling to respect other people's wishes.

Associate
Who is this "cancel culture" you speak of? Is that its intention? Whoever it is? or is it a simple evolution of society's mores to pay more attention to how others wish to be perceived?

Seems to me that what people mean when they complain about "cancel culture" is actually "acceptance culture" and the complainers object if they get told off for being unwilling to respect other people's wishes.

So teachers that say 'well done (boys and) girls' should be sacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom