Gpu or cpu?

Soldato
Hey guys,

sorry for the bombardment here, but I’m going back and forth here..

better solution :

1. keep 10600k and buy 2080ti..

or

2. buy 10850k and keep my 2080s..

what will help more all round..for gaming 90% of the time.

Cheers.

Associate
Both options are bad.

New AMD and Intel Chips are right around the corner, and GPUs are in shortage and cost too much for any that you can get.

New Ryzen 5 with iGPU a few months or less away, Intel proper 10nm by the end of the year, AMD 5nm next year.

You dont need a new CPU yet, and a 2080S is better than what most people are currently stuck on.

Soldato
OP
Right, something amiss here..

I just finished a session on BFV MP, 64 man, server..and i was averaging 70-80 fps at High detail 1440p :eek:

The strange thing is I checked AfterBurner when I finished around 10 mins ago, and my GPU AND CPU were not either 99-100 perecet initialized? both hovering around 70 usage, each!

Surely that one or the other should show signs of where tht weakness lies??

Soldato
If you're trying to maintain higher frames on a 120/144hz screen, have you tried lowering the details purely as a diagnostic step to see if frames hold? Are you on all current drivers? Have you tried rolling back GPU drivers to see if there's a shift? etc..

Out of the options you provided before, like others have said, neither of those options seems sensible, i'd expect marginal improvements on either side.

Soldato
OP
If you're trying to maintain higher frames on a 120/144hz screen, have you tried lowering the details purely as a diagnostic step to see if frames hold? Are you on all current drivers? Have you tried rolling back GPU drivers to see if there's a shift? etc..

Out of the options you provided before, like others have said, neither of those options seems sensible, i'd expect marginal improvements on either side.

cheers. I have, I get 80-100 on medium, latest drivers and no overclocks on the gpu / cpu?

Soldato
Not familiar with the game or it's requirements, is there an expected performance level you think should be doable for your system that you're not hitting?

Soldato
Checked all your temps/clocks whilst in games? The performance does seem subpar for the spec tbh. Is it just this game? (checking if the system is peforming for the spec in more games would probably be helpful) Have you tested a driver rollback? (skip back a major version if you need to). Using two PSU cables in the card vs one daisy chain connector?

Soldato
OP
Will look into these things tomorrow guys..cheers..

one thing, I’m running a 1080p 60hz monitor, as a second display? Could that interfere?

Soldato
OP
just finished a session of EFT, now i know that it is not the worlds most demanding game, but..

my CPU and GPU usage was hitting higher usage rates (fluxuating around 80-90%), and the GPU temo peak was at 63c and the CPU hottest core was 62c..? :confused:

So why is a game like that using more resources and more efficient than a game such as BattleField 5??

Associate
Keep what you've got, overclock (maybe upgrade your CPU cooler if needed) and save up for a decent upgrade next year.

From what you've said I would be tempted to give you GPU and CPU cooler a clean, reset your BIOS and do a fresh install of windows, that should cover fixing most performance issues and give you a clean slate to get your overclock set up :D :D

Back
Top Bottom