Would you 'Assist the Police with their investigations'?

Soldato
I have the utmost respect for the police, myself. Always have, and hopefully always will. I suppose it's rare thing these days, but to me, they usually come across as very dedicated, enthusiastic, reasonable and knowledgeable people.

I'm studying a degree in Policing/Police Studies (starting my third and final year in a few weeks), originally with the intention to join the police service. Not so sure if I'll do that anymore because I've learnt of other things I could do with my degree and my skills, but I'm keeping an open mind. We've had a lot of co-operation with Thames Valley Police though in various aspects of our course, and it's given me a lot of positive insight. We've had presentations from various people within the service (both police officers and police staff), and I'm involved with the TVP community practicals which gets you doing role-play for their training scenarios. All of this has done nothing but improve my opinions on the police.

I'm not deluded; I'm well aware there are bad police officers out there and things that the police need to greatly improve on, but I can't help but shake my head in disbelief when I see people saying that the police in this country are a joke, or a disgrace, or are useless. Without a doubt, we have one of the finest police services in the world; these people don't need to look too far to see poor examples of policing.

When all said and done, the police are an easy target for criticism because of their role. Generally it's not because they've done something wrong, but because the critic is too ignorant to know just what the police's role and function actually is. The British public is always quick to moan, but never very keen to learn about what they're actually moaning about.

Soldato
Nope, wouldnt be oerly confident in helping them.

Had so many attempted convictions at work and very few of them are successful, it just makes me think 'whats the point, why bother wasting my time'

Caporegime
I would help, my dad was a policeman, most of his friends where policemen, and I cant say I saw anything wrong in them, They all seemed nice people. I too want to become a policeman after I finish my final year at sixth and uni. So pretty much have the up most respect for policeman.

Have you had those entrace question things yet, an old mate of mine had them and some seemed quite weird (iirc he got turned down because of lack of ethnic contact or something like that- mostly white area so couldn't describe any meetings where race had been an issue or something odd)

Associate
OP
So you would deliberatley not give a statement, with the sole purpose of undermining a police investigation?
That wasn't said, but well done for making a farcical assumption.

shame you would be too busy deliberatley hindering their efforts to realise this.
Making it up as you go along. Are you a policeman ?

And to finish :
we also expect members to behave respectfully and not launch personal or abusive attacks on other members. Those who post for the sole purpose of causing trouble are not welcome here and will be dealt with accordingly.
you come accross as exactly the sort of Chav that society detests.
Spend a night out with the Police on a Friday and Saturday, you will see they deal with exactly people like you, the same people that get arrested and then cry police assault or "I didn't do nothing honest boss"

Soldato
Have you had those entrace question things yet, an old mate of mine had them and some seemed quite weird (iirc he got turned down because of lack of ethnic contact or something like that- mostly white area so couldn't describe any meetings where race had been an issue or something odd)

Havnt taken it, seen a few though, one that I remember was:

Describe a bad area that you know

The answers it gave underneath were like
Candidate must not include:-
Difference that wealth makes
Any youth culture
etc...

So I got a bit stumped on that question

Caporegime
Havnt taken it, seen a few though, one that I remember was:

Describe a bad area that you know

The answers it gave underneath were like
Candidate must not include:-
Difference that wealth makes
Any youth culture
etc...

So I got a bit stumped on that question

Yeah when i looked at it it seemed very odd at times.

Associate
OP
(iirc he got turned down because of lack of ethnic contact or something like that

A friend of mine is running into the same thing. He spoke to a recruiting police officer at a trade fair. My friend is ex army. He's done operational tours, had glowing personal reports, being promoted and decorated. He's married and since leaving has completed a military/political studies degree with a 2:1 gained. He's also travelled for a year. Exactly the sort of well grounded, well rounded person you'd think the police force would be crying out for.
No says the recruitment officer. You won't get in. Because you're white and ex-army (he himself was an ex paratrooper). If he was from an ethnic background though he would be invited to a weekend training course designed to help get him through the interview process. He would also have skipped completely the first 2 stages of 'paper sorts' that cut applicants down to those deemed most suitable.
From a Force that was institutionally racist just a few years ago.

Suspended
I very much dislike people who dont like the police force and especailly if they call them pigs.. you can really sum up that someones character and it aint a nice one

Associate
OP
And I very much dislike people who very much dislike people who dont like the police force and especailly if they call them pigs.. you can really sum up that someones character and it aint a nice one. So guess we're even in the hate stakes.

Associate
Why would anyone treat anyone else that refers to them as Pigs well ?
Why would you use such a word ?
Much better questions than the O.P.

There was a Very Decent chap on here who became a friend of mine & he is a serving Policeman. We still chat now via MSN & i am Happy to call Von Smallhausen MY MATE.

Is he a copper now? Nice one, I remember him posting about possibly joining the specials, but I don't recall he said he was joining the regulars. Such a shame he was one of the ones perma'd all that time ago :(.

Anyway, on topic. I would do whatever I could tbh, I trust them. I'm also considering it for a career.

Permabanned
A friend of mine is running into the same thing. He spoke to a recruiting police officer at a trade fair. My friend is ex army. He's done operational tours, had glowing personal reports, being promoted and decorated. He's married and since leaving has completed a military/political studies degree with a 2:1 gained. He's also travelled for a year. Exactly the sort of well grounded, well rounded person you'd think the police force would be crying out for.
No says the recruitment officer. You won't get in. Because you're white and ex-army (he himself was an ex paratrooper). If he was from an ethnic background though he would be invited to a weekend training course designed to help get him through the interview process. He would also have skipped completely the first 2 stages of 'paper sorts' that cut applicants down to those deemed most suitable.
From a Force that was institutionally racist just a few years ago.

That again 'Im afraid is rubbish in my opinion. You base that on the opinion of another officer not on your friend going through the recruitment process and receiving any feedback.

Caporegime
That again 'Im afraid is rubbish in my opinion. You base that on the opinion of another officer not on your friend going through the recruitment process and receiving any feedback.

Wtf, how is a person being afraid rubbish? If someone is afraid then theres usually a damn good reason for it, and should make you look at the police, rather than just going "the old im afraid game eh". AS you said he bases his decision on the worst scenario, but who doesn't? I mean its hardly sort of oo well there is that one decent guy in that street gang he stopped them kicking the old guys head in :) im sure it will be fine if i go over there and ask them to stop smashing the bottles...

Permabanned
Wtf, how is a person being afraid rubbish? If someone is afraid then theres usually a damn good reason for it, and should make you look at the police, rather than just going "the old im afraid game eh". AS you said he bases his decision on the worst scenario, but who doesn't? I mean its hardly sort of oo well there is that one decent guy in that street gang he stopped them kicking the old guys head in :) im sure it will be fine if i go over there and ask them to stop smashing the bottles...

I think you have seen the word afraid and got the wrong end of the stick!

Permabanned
From this Tribune guy's posts you can tell he would have trouble dealing with any kind of human being in a social situation so it is no wonder that the Police have no time for him.

Permabanned
Perhaps it would have been beneficial to ask if anyone had had dealings with the Police and if so had their views changed. And please don't bother with the drunken chav slurs, you couldn't be more wrong tbh.

The second you start labeling all officers bullies, pigs and the filth all your credibility has been shot out of the window. You have a jaded and ignorant view of the police. If suddenly you needed the assistance of police officers would you call them bullying filthy pigs to their face?

Sow respect to earn it. They are doing a very hard job that you would be incapable of doing yourself.

Permabanned
The second you start labeling all officers bullies, pigs and the filth all your credibility has been shot out of the window. You have a jaded and ignorant view of the police. If suddenly you needed the assistance of police officers would you call them bullying filthy pigs to their face?

Sow respect to earn it. They are doing a very hard job that you would be incapable of doing yourself.

When I was a serving Special constable I came across this all the time it really is water of a ducks back to any Police Officer.

Back
Top Bottom