Suggest An Easy Meal Idea

Soldato
Afraid not. Tomato paste on a pizza is my limit. Or ketchup.

If you can eat them on pizza then you should be fine using them as a base ingredient. I don't like raw tomatoes or big bits of tomatoes in food but I use them a lot in cooking such as in the vegetable soup I made last week. I wouldn't eat many of the things I put in it on their own but as a whole it was really nice. I think that's the thing really, put them with other things and in sauces etc and the whole flavour is nice.

Soldato
Thats true while trying to get steak right, i got a few very think ones in an under did them a few times (Very undercooked), it's quite odd how the taste of raw meat grows on you. :)
Yeah. I thought i would like it more, though. I went for Sushi for the first time ever a few weeks ago and to my surprise i wasnt that keen on the beef they had. It was nice though, i was expecting to really like it though.

I'm always trying to improve my cooking with the little things you can pick up form TV shows/books etc.. one thing that makes a surprising amount of difference to steak is if you cook it straight from the fridge or leave it out for a while to get up to room temperature. From my experience it's far more likely you'll undercook it in the middle if you cook straight from the fridge, whereas if you leave it out for 20mins or so you can get a more graduated cooking line (i.e. grey to pink, rather than grey then red). As for steak, i love dropping a spoonful of butter in the pan at the end, letting it sizzle away and melt, and spoon it over the steak. Pick up all the juices and if you do it when the pans still really hot it goes a lovely brown and really gives off a lot of flavour. Yum.
icon14.gif

Associate
My least favourite vegetable is onion and it is such a damn common one.

I fail to understand how anyone can not like onions, maybe raw onions sure.. but otherwise... what are you doing to them?
Most sauces will have them in, but its not as if its a identifiable flavor on its own... it just adds a sweetness and bulk to the sauce.

I really find it hard to believe you don't like any vegetables, i think you should really give them another go... most things will taste nice as long as they cooked with a bit of love and care.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
This is a good "learn the basics" cookbook:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Boil-Egg-Simple-Recipes/dp/0716020734

That's assuming it's the same book as one with the same name ~20 years ago.

If you want something you don't really have to cook, I've found Iceland's "takeaway" range to be adequate microwaveable meals, although the lemon chicken one is not actually microwaveable (you can microwave the sauce, but not the chicken). Rather naughty, as it's in with the others and isn't clearly marked. One of the others in the range and a pouch of microwaveable rice and you've got a decent takeaway in 10 minutes. I like the "Indian" butter chicken with some pilau rice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom