Vespa

Soldato
I have just started a job in london, working in victoria.

I spend around £27 a week on oyster travel but i am seriously thinking about getting myself a vespa motocycle to comute into work everyday (Zone 6 - 1) its about 16 miles from my house to work.

Do you think it will be a worthwhile investment to buy one?

What will the insurance be im 19 nearly 20?

Do you think i should get a 50cc or 125cc?

Can i get one on finance?

Any other info would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks

Associate
I would not recommend it! 16 miles is an aweful long way on a scooter.

Also with winter approaching can you really be bothered travelling 16 miles in the cold rain!

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Yer thats true, i had taken that into consideration.

Do you really think driving in london on a scooter is that bad?

In my [limited] experience, driving anything in London is bad! but 16 miles on a scooter would be terrible for anyone!

Soldato
OP
I dont see why it would be so bad, you get to avoid queues by cutting down the middle of them, you can park pretty much anywhere. They are cheap to run, and i reckon it would be quite fun.

Although i will definatly go on what you guys say, becuase its a large investment for me upfront.

Associate
I wouldn't mind using a bicycle 16 miles each way, why would scooter be such a bad thing? Although through london might be a bit of a pain :p

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Yer thats true, i had taken that into consideration.

Do you really think driving in london on a scooter is that bad?
No it's fine. Where in Essex are you coming from, like Dagenham or something? I know the routes well and have done them on a 125 Vespa for a few years, I can tell you roughly how long it'll take etc. You've just got to watch the distance through traffic because it can be tiring. Definitely a 125 though, not a 50.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Ah right, I assumed you were in Essex because of your location :D

That's a bit too far for me, I wouldn't want to do it every day on my ET. Saying that, if you go for a Vespa and pick the GT (the new one) it's a bigger slightly heavier bike with bigger wheels than the old ET so it'll ride nicer and be a bit more comfy. The ET was a good bike, the GT can only be better.

Easiest way in is straight down the A40 but up near Uxbridge it's a big road and on a small bike like that you're going to be very vulnerable. Then when you get in to about Park Royal the road becomes too small to get a bike through the traffic quickly which is annoying. After that you're in town and it's fine. You could use the Uxbridge road (A4040?) but it's a long slow drag in through a lot of traffic. I don't like that route.

I reckon it'll take about 30-40 minutes max in rush hour if you go the A40 route.

Feel free to give it a go. You'll get about 75mpg overall on that run and it's so liberating having a bike in town, especially the West End there. Loads of places to park around Victoria (I used to work in the station). Insurance will be about £150 TPO, get a damn big lock for it and tax is £15. Spend a couple of hundred on some good textile riding gear and helmet and you'll be sorted.

Permabanned
Well i do the knowledge on a 100cc scooter coming from Harrow most days. It is bloomin scary driving the thing around London but I am getting used to it. I usually take the Harrow road into town which takes ages. I built up the confidence to take the A40 up to the target roundabout a few days ago though, was much faster :p. I found that I could nip through the traffic that built up around Gipsy corner without too much fuss. I'd recommend a 125 though. My 100cc just about manages 50MPH :(. But given the choice though I think I'd rather spend the money on oyster. It really is scary and intimidating driving around London on these things. I'm also 19 with 1 years car driving experience behind me. As for insurance, I paid around £400 comp on a Honda Lead.
Also it will cost you about £300 in protective gear if you're going to be sensible, which I suggest you do. I was knocked off the bike once (was my fault though >_<). Only very slight but I was still thankful for the gear I had on, although I wouldn't fancy wearing it over a suit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom