Renner 5 love

Soldato
A mint example of what is considered one of the greatest hot hatches of its time? Yea, shed, def.

LOL, that did make me laugh. Pretty much the only time I saw R5 Turbo's in the olden days was when they were at the side of the road with something wrong on the engine.

People remember them for their tuned performance, unfortunately it seemed to have come at a high cost. A guy I know at work owned one and he said it was fast, but bloody awful on reliability. He didn't rate them at all.

Associate
LOL, that did make me laugh. Pretty much the only time I saw R5 Turbo's in the olden days was when they were at the side of the road with something wrong on the engine.

People remember them for their tuned performance, unfortunately it seemed to have come at a high cost. A guy I know at work owned one and he said it was fast, but bloody awful on reliability. He didn't rate them at all.

Ah well, unreliable maybe.. but shed? no.

Permabanned
OP
Would you like the back squared or tapered? :D
I've been thinking about some highlights. Get your tongs out, duckypoos!

From what I can gather (from speaking to former owners), it is the manual boost control valve that killed most of them.

Drivers seem to get the 'just a little bit more...' mentality...And then they go bang.

*n

Soldato
Whey!

P1020362Large.jpg

Soldato
A personal favourite of mine :

AYHLEHDJAXWRYEJLZCUD.jpg

25psi boost, rwd and sticky tyres saw it hit 0-60 in 3.9 at Trax in 2004, not sure if it's still on the road any more though.

I love this one too :

WYRVBKNCDQRKFPIZGVYF.jpg

XIFKAPWMBBXLHHPFNFLH.jpg

As someone mentioned earlier, the myth that they pop headgaskets and are unreliable is down to them being owned by people who do not know much about them and turn up the boost without the supporting mods. I know several people who do many miles in their cars virtually problem free, a fair few recieve a beating on track days too.

I love R5s, there's just something about them, I dunno, call it character, but they certainly make you smile from ear to ear. They might not be the quickest or best handling cars around but they a awesome to drive (after some tweaks anyway).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom