Really Quick HDD Question!

Associate
Hi guys, my bro is looking to get a new HDD his mobo is a MSI K8N-Neo2-FX, and therefore the SATA is only SATA not SATA-II, might seem like a daft question, but I assume all drives work backwards right i.e. if he gets a Seagate barracuda 7200.10, SATA-II it will work?

TIA

Caporegime
Theoretically most boards can take the SATA II variety of drives...Just naturally they wont work at SATAII speeds =]

Some older motherboard cant take sata II drives but i dont think you will need to worry...

At worst you might have to change a jumper on the board...or perhaps do a bios upgrade. Best bet is to buy and try really.

Associate
Yep, will work no problem. I have an old socket 478 motherboard and am currently using a SATA 2 hitatchi t7k250, it may only be working at half the bandwidth but i dont experience any issues.

Associate
woah woah ther steady on lol not all boards are backwardly compatible as my friend found out. some south bridge chips dont like sata 2, and he bought a hitachi sata2 wich does not have jumpers on the back soo he couldnt set it to sata 1. the hdd couldnt even be detecthed by his mobo but workd fine in 3 other pcs.

just make sure your hdd has a jumper on the back just incase.

Associate
woah woah ther steady on lol not all boards are backwardly compatible as my friend found out. some south bridge chips dont like sata 2, and he bought a hitachi sata2 wich does not have jumpers on the back soo he couldnt set it to sata 1. the hdd couldnt even be detecthed by his mobo but workd fine in 3 other pcs.

just make sure your hdd has a jumper on the back just incase.

IIRC you can soft-config the Hitachi's with a tool from their website. (Although that is slightly annoying because you have to then find another machine that can see the drive to do it from IIRC...)

Associate
dam i cant find it, been searching net for an hour now with no luck i must have remember my friends mobo model wrong. cause whem we seached lasty time was on first page of results. :( am pretty sure it was an asus board and was socket 939 will see if i can find out the model from him then can find out what chip it got on it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom