Spec me a Router!

Soldato
Right, heres the problem, me and the housemate like to play games of Supreme Commander and the like, both on the same server at the same time.....which was fine when we were using a Netgear WGT624 v3 router, it wasn't 100% perfect, worked about 85% of the time when we both joined the same server, which was good enough. Unfortunately this router had a little incident with a spilt cup of coffee, and has since passed away onto silicon heaven.

So, I had a poke about in my PC bits boxes in the attic and found a Netgear Prosafe FWG114P router lying about doing nothing. It was pressed into action. Now while it had all manner of fancy things like VPN and a Print Server (not that I used them) it does not have Port Triggering, only Port Forwarding. You can see where this is going can't you? I can only forward the ports for each game to one LAN IP (it doesnt allow duplicates) so basically, only one of us can play on each server of whatever game it is (aside from EvE Online, which doesn't seem to care how many clients you have at one IP address). Anyway enough rambling.

I need a new Router. It needs to have:

1) Port Triggering Goodness!
2) A Wireless LAN!
3) Built in hardware firewall (pretty much standard I would assume)
4) It should be known to be reliable!
5) Doesn't need more than 4 LAN ports.
6) Should preferably be coffee resistant (optional)
7) I cant think of anything else! :)

Thats about the long and short of it. What should I get?

Associate
I've always used netgear, and have never had a problem! ;)
Excellent routers especially on bad lines, they tend to hang on without disconnecting even at very low SNR levels.

Back
Top Bottom