XBOX 360 Silence isn't golden

Associate
Hi

I've connected my 360 to my CRT monitor using a VGA lead, which via a female/female adaptor works fine.

However, I have no sound!.

From the VGA cable comes 2 sockets - a white and red one.

My speakers for my PC operate via the standard "headphone" connection-type into my PC.

How will I get sound? can someone please suggest the most economical way to overcome this problem, using un-technical terms where possible.

Many Thanks

Man of Honour
I can't remember who did this, but it wasn't me, but it's the best pic out there to explain:
sound.jpg

Man of Honour
wyrdo said:
No need for the coupler or anything though, the phono to 3.5mm jack will plug straight into the line in on a soundcard.

That's only if he wants to play with his PC on, but true, that is a better way round it, as you don't have to piddle about round the back of your PC to change speakers all the time then, just have your PC on all the time and connect the 360 to the line-in.

Man of Honour
sandy10 said:
Crikey, that's a rather elaborate solution!.

Does it work ok?!

Yes, there's only 2 ways you can do it for <£4. The above mentioned.

Unless you want to go out and buy an amplifier, then it's the only way.

My own drawing of the same thing above, in case, and to show off my paint skills:
xboxspeaker.GIF

:p

Associate
OP
Was prefering to play with the PC turned off where possible.

Additionally, I didnt get the MS VGA cable and hence, don't have the grey thing shown in the pic!

Permabanned
wyrdo said:
No need for the coupler or anything though, the phono to 3.5mm jack will plug straight into the line in on a soundcard.

Yes that's how I have my Xbox (1) connected to my speakers - via my PC which is always on :)

Man of Honour
sandy10 said:
Was prefering to play with the PC turned off where possible.

Additionally, I didnt get the MS VGA cable and hence, don't have the grey thing shown in the pic!

You need to go out and buy two things then:

A "3.5mm to 3.5mm Stereo Coupler" - This just joins male to male 3.5mm plugs using 2 female sockets.
Phono 3.5mm Stereo

And a:

"3.5mm Stereo Phono adapter" - Converting the 2x phono (Red/White) to a 3.5mm connection.

Soldato
wyrdo said:

Forgive my ignorance but what colour is the line in input on the soundcard ?

Cheers, I've been using the same method as DaveyD for audio and it's beginning to be a pain changing the wires and such.

Man of Honour
crunchman said:
Forgive my ignorance but what colour is the line in input on the soundcard ?

Cheers, I've been using the same method as DaveyD for audio and it's beginning to be a pain changing the wires and such.

Line in should be blue I believe.

If it's not that, it's the one with the simbol of a circle with another circle inside, and an arrow pointing inwards to the centre.

Soldato
Quiet bump. :)

I'm in the same situation. I have a 2407 which is running both my Xbox 360 and MacBook Pro. The diagram above seems to make sense to me, up until the part where the lead (which comes from the speakers) splits into two or is able to split into two, to go down to both the sound card and coupler.

How does the lead split? Usually and with any speakers I have bought, they are linked together (left to right) and then from the main speaker comes the power supply lead and one single lead, which usually would go straight into the PC sound card.

--

Just had quick think about it - would it require some sort of female to male (3.5mm) splitter? That's probably mentioned somewhere in the above and I've missed it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Quiet bump. :)

I'm in the same situation. I have a 2407 which is running both my Xbox 360 and MacBook Pro. The diagram above seems to make sense to me, up until the part where the lead (which comes from the speakers) splits into two or is able to split into two, to go down to both the sound card and coupler.

How does the lead split? Usually and with any speakers I have bought, they are linked together (left to right) and then from the main speaker comes the power supply lead and one single lead, which usually would go straight into the PC sound card.

--

Just had quick think about it - would it require some sort of female to male (3.5mm) splitter? That's probably mentioned somewhere in the above and I've missed it.

That pic isn't the most clear without the right text under it I'm afraid.

Basically, where the cable is grey (split the way you look at it), it is EITHER in the Xbox or it's in your PC sound card.

You can get splitter cables, have a search for "Headphone Splitter" or something like that if you want to split it. Else if you keep your Mac on all the time, connect the 360 to the Audio IN on that, if it has one (don't know about macs), that way the sound will come out of the speakers the Mac is connected to.

Back
Top Bottom