Italy, moving to.

Permabanned
Hi all,

Living in the UK, I want to get out of this dump and move abroad. I've spotted Italy and their property prices appear to be resonable and I'd like to get a little more information on living conditions over there.

Does anyone have any information on the country please, whats the IT industry like over there also?

Thanks

J

Soldato
however if you cannot speak Italian well then don't even bother thinking of moving there.

Don't you just need to wave your arms about in an animated fashion while going "ai ai ai" before kissing someone on both cheeks, in order to communicate more or less anything? :D

Soldato
How about hooking up with an American company based in Sophia Antipolis, in the south of France...? It's not far from the Italian border. There are plenty of Brits out there and not all of them can speak French. I lived there for 3 years - it's a great place to live (it's sunny on average for 300 days a year! :)) but you do need to be on a decent salary to really make the most of it.

What sort of IT work are you looking for?

Permabanned
OP
How about hooking up with an American company based in Sophia Antipolis, in the south of France...?

France was another option I looked at. I've currently got 2 dogs and a car i want to take with me. I own a house here too. So its a bit of a ball ache but i want to move out of here...

It's not far from the Italian border. There are plenty of Brits out there and not all of them can speak French. I lived there for 3 years - it's a great place to live (it's sunny on average for 300 days a year! :)) but you do need to be on a decent salary to really make the most of it.

What sort of IT work are you looking for?

Im looking for 2nd/3rd line support work, looking to earn £25-29k with my next job move.

What does property go for down there? - I'd like some land in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks mate

Jon

Associate
I thought if I shout at people in english they might of got the message? :D

Places like Holland have a high % of people who speak english, I thought Italy might as well.

Yeah, Scandanavia too. Chances are you'd still have to attain a certain level of fluency if you're looking to find a decent job.

Soldato
Never visited but my impression of Italy is that it's a lovely county, if your serious at all about a better way of life you won't let a little thing like learning a language stop you.

Man of Honour
I thought if I shout at people in english they might of got the message? :D

Places like Holland have a high % of people who speak english, I thought Italy might as well.

Different kettle of fish I'm afraid. The Dutch are fed a diet of american culture and in fact they have adopted many english words/phrases to use as their own. As mentioned in Scandinavia most people can speak English as well.

Go to Italy (outside of the major cosmopolitan areas like Milan) and you will struggle with just English - same goes for the South of spain (ignoring touristy areas).

Going on holiday or a short term placement is one thing, but if I was going to permanently emigrate to another country I would at least want to have a passable understanding of their language.

Soldato
Hardly think our contry is country is a dump :mad:, sure it has its problems but nothing major in the slightest that I can think of :confused:.

Italy has huge tax problems, the north and south are very different and some of it is very backwards.

What i'm saying is don't just think that the grass is always greener.

Back
Top Bottom