• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Underclocked Q6600?

Associate
I just finished building my new system(specs in sig)installed cpu z and core speed is 1632mhz!This isnt normal is it?Is there something I should change from bios?

Associate
Intel speed stepping i think its called, changes the cpu speed when required (turns down when not much is going on to save power etc, correct me if im wrong :) ) should be an option to disable in BIOS.

Associate
OP
I didnt find the speed stepping option :(.cpu z says that the multiplier is 6,I dont know anything about overclocking but shoudnt that be x9?Can anyone with a Abit IP 35 PRO tell me what to do?

Last edited:
Associate
thats speed step, it reduces the core speed by lowering the muti (iirc) try running a game or prime or anything intensive and it will return to normal on cpu-z

Soldato
tell me what to do?
Set some time aside to read the motherboard manual, that would be a good start.

While your reading you will come across something called EIST (Enhanced INTEL Speedstep), thats most likely why your CPU is running slower because it has no need of the extra power. As soon as u do something vaguely taxing on your PC the processor speed will increase! :)

It is possible to turn this feature off in the BIOS (read the manual for more info).

Associate
OP
I turned the feature off and it still shows the same speed.I loaded a game and then it went back to normal.So is this normal?Shouldnt it be at 2.4 the whole time?

Soldato
Cool thanks,but is this recommended?I mean,if I turn them off,is it possible to damage my cpu?Do you have it disabled aswell?
Mined enabled, which I much prefer due to lower heat when in low usage mode, and also lower power consumption. Disabling Speedstep won't damage your processor, but I do recommend leaving it on unless you are overclocking.

Associate
If you're running the CPU at stock settings, ie not overclocking, then just leave speedstep turned on. It saves a bit of electricity and every little helps the planet! :)

I leave mine turned on even though I've overclocked my CPU's, although some people get higher/more stable overclocks with it turned off.

Either way, on or off, it won't damage your CPU.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies guys.My overclocking marathon will begin tommorow(first time OCing!!)I am so excited :D.Off topic,in bios the CPU temp is 30C,is it ok?I am using the watercooling kit that came with my TT Armor.

Soldato
30c is great, but use a Windows program like Core Temp or TAT to read the proper temps in case the BIOS is wrong.

Back
Top Bottom